Old 05-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #1  

Default The moan thread

I'm having a GOW (grumpy old woman moment).......so I wanted to have a moan.

Ok I go to the gym 5 days a week (seven if you count my yoga and swimming day!)

I've lost 60 odd pounds.

Then why oh why can't I still not find a decent pair of gym shorts???? I had to buy men's nike ones today, as I wanted something with a bit of stretch, not too short (I don't mind the cellulite on my thighs, but I really don't want to inflict it on the innocent bystanders at my run ), I didn't want tights, as my bum resembles J-Lo's in a skirt, but Roseanne Barr's in the olden days in tight shorts .

I'm just grumpy. The mens football shorts will be fine, but it just made me

Any one else have a grumpy old woman moment????
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
(I don't mind the cellulite on my thighs, but I really don't want to inflict it on the innocent bystanders at my run )

Yes, yes I did. I wanted to make a fresh strawberry/soymilk smoothie. I let the strawberries go for too long, now they are bad.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #3  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

My GOW:

I live in a surfing community, in a quadraplex with a nice yard and a 6 foot tall privacy fence. More often than not the people in the other apartments have been surfers, and they leave their suits on the fence to dry. Every time I see them, I have an almost irresistable urge to get one of those big black handbags with the wooden handles and use it to whack them about the heads and shoulders, saying words like "whipper-snappers" and "tom-foolery".
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #4  
No description available.

: ) FWIW, I wear men's athletic shorts too, cause #1, they are comfortable and #2 I usually steal my husband's.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #5  

Andoreth, I can relate! I'm always catching myself saying "damn kids!" or "What the **** is wrong with this generation?!" I even call some of the modern music noise and complain that I could do better with a wooden spoon and some stew pots. I have become my mother already. I'm seriously still rather young too, so everyone worries about what kind of mean old bat I'm going to be when I'm old! I think I will be one of those old grannies that will straight run you over in the motorized cart or stomp your foot with a cane if you're being obnoxious while next to me in, say, a movie theatre. I've already yelled at kids to get out of my yard, so that's said and done. LOL. It just seems natural to me that I start using terms like you mentioned. I'm a set of dentures and an AARP membership away from that point already!
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #6  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I take a walk 3 or 4 times a week on the quiet avenue in our neighborhood and just have a major GOW moment for anyone that doesn't pick up after their dogs. We live in a big city, people. C'mon, get those pooper scoopers goin' and work it!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

kykaree - they don't make those types of shorts for women really... we got some in my store and they were sold out before anyone got a chance to really see them!!

I have a very grumpy thing, the other day a "friend" came to see me at work, and while she was in the fitting room she STOLE 3 items!!!!! I cannot wrap my mind around the event, and everytime I think about it .. I get mega cranky.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:46 PM   #8  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Aimee...that's awful!!!!

How old is this person, 14?

I hope you told her off!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Linda - I can't 100% prove it, so yah.. nothing I can do. Infact if I were to say something to her, she could sue my company and I could get in trouble. I basically have to pretend nothing happened.. boy it's a crappy situation!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:09 AM   #10  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

I have one!! I live in sunny California, Orange County no less. I went to the Laundry matt to wash a few comforters that don't fit in my machine. I was in and out for about an hour, passed or stood near at least 15 different people, looked at them and smiled and was completely ingored every single time. RUDE! (As usual)
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #11  
Linda

Wow, Stevi...that's insane!

I live in a little Canadian town...where that just doesn't happen.
Everyone you meet, or pass..seems to have a smile and a hello to offer.

I consider myself very lucky!
I'm sorry people are like that there, that would really bug me too.

Linda
Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

Linda,

Remember Canadians have the reputation of being extremely polite. You are right though, small Canadian towns have a habit of being extremely friendly and you can't keep a secret there since everyone knows you or someone you know.

I also live in small town and it's amazing how people act. Dh and I just bought a house, weel, within a week. I had conversations with both my neigbours, their wifes didn't appreciate as much but that's fine.

What makes me turn into a GOW is when the kids (people in general) don't respect your property ( I get upset when it's others property too). I think that people pay enough money on morgage and taxes that we shouldn't need to put a lock on lawn ornements or built 8" high fences to keep your stuff safe. I told a kid the other that I was going to ask the owners of the tress they were distroying, by runing thru them, to run thru their bed until it was destroyed to see how they liked it....they never did it since..LOL
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #13  
Linda

Yup!

That's why I'm so proud to live where I do...and also why it truly upsets me when I come across unfriendly or cold people. I guess I'm just conditioned to friendliness

Linda
Old 05-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #14  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I think the smile as you pass is a smaller town vs. bigger city phenomenon. At least, when I lived in Milwaukee, I was never smiled at nor did I smile at anyone else. It's like there are just too many people. too much external stimuli (cars, buildings, signs, movement, sound), and you have to block everything out in order to cope with the overload. When you pass 25 people walking 3 blocks downtown, smiling at passers-by soon gets dropped.

I moved from there to a small town in central Arkansas (talk about culture shock). I can still remember the first time someone I didn't know smiling at me and waving too, since he was passing me, but on the other side of the street! Of course, being a tough kid from the big city, I thought it was the hokiest thing I had ever seen. It wasn't long, though, before I got into the habbit and started smiling- and still do to this day.

One thing I have noticed, though- even in big cities you can "catch a smile" if you take a walk in the park, are in a museum, or other restfull, uplifting place. A place where people can open themselves up to their surroundings. lol, I have to say that I don't think a laundromat would be my choice for one of those places.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #15  
Linda

That completely makes sense!
I know that I am BEYOND overloaded when I go to a big city!

Linda