Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #1  
Real fine place to start

S/C/G: 194.4/194.4/140

Red face Outside walking

Hey ladies,
I have been sticking steady to getting up a half an hour early and going on long walk before i get on with my day, however the last two days i have woken up at my normal time and its already about 90 degrees outside! Yesterday i toughed it out and nearly died, today i decided to wait until this evening when the sun starts to set to walk. How are all of you outside exercisers dealing with the heat? I really dont want to change my walking schedule completely for fear that i will lose the routine, but i just might have to in order to contend with the heat. Thanks for any suggestions
collegechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:59 AM   #2  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Hmmm this is applicable (for me) more for last year than this year as I started my morning runs in the dead of summer (smart, I know ) and I toughed it out. Trust me, those days were HOT! Plus, they were muggy. I don't know where I got my determination, but I dressed light and drank buckets of water 20 minutes before going and buckets more when I came back. If I couldn't do it because I was falling over myself, then I slowed down or did a walk. That helped. I know it's tough motivating yourself to go out when it's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk, but these tips helped me. Also, I left my room at 5:30 in the morning when it wasn't dark but before it got sunny. My workouts are for 45 - 50 mins. Hope this helps!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #3  

The only thing that has saved me is that I choose the shadiest places to jog. I also stash a water bottle somewhere on my path. (I usually jog in a big state nursery, so it's not like I'm hiding my water on someone's yard. lol) Exercising in the heat can be very dangerous, so we must be careful. Keep very hydrated. I sometimes like the heat though. The funny thing is that I take a shower before and after I exercise. I sweat so much that I get drenched, so I like to know that it's only sweat and not dirty sweat (I never said I was normal!).
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:19 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Well, I've never been too bothered by heat. It may be a different story for others. If you can't hack it, you just can't, and have to work around it. But what I do, and did this morning, was got to the park at 10 a.m. It was supposed to get up to 92 today, and I wanted to beat the heat. I didn't beat all of it though. It was still a scorcher. I went jogging with my son in the stroller and took extra water in a cooler pack. I would stop every so often and be sure he got plenty of water, as well as myself. And the path runs through plenty of shaded areas to cool down under. I don't know if you took plenty of water with you, but a lot of times that's the key.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:46 PM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Maybe a video like Walk Off the Pounds? That way you're still walking but not in the scorching heat? It's been too hot out for me to do my morning run lately so I've moved it to evenings and that's a lot better... right before the sun sets.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

In the heat of the summer I get up at 6am and go out from 7am to 8am for my run... sometimes depending on the humidity I get up early. I've even gotten up at 5am ran for an hour then showered and went back to bed for a while ... works for me!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #7  

i dread walking in the heat, i have to walk from work and back so ive got no choice bout it, in the summer months i'll just have to remember to keep drinking water.
Claire Marie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:53 AM   #8  
Real fine place to start

S/C/G: 194.4/194.4/140

thanks for all the responses ladies! i think i will probably have to start getting up earlier to try and beat the heat. i know if i try to move it to the evening i will more like than not forget about it and skip it....ahhh the joys of summer!!
collegechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:15 AM   #9  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I'm lucky, I work nights so when I get off work @ 4 a.m. is the key time. We haven't ventured out, yet, but we did go walking when it was hotter and like the other ladies, just take some water and stop if necessary. That is how I managed too when I was walking before. Also I found a nice shady place to walk when it was hot too, like someone else here suggested.

Also getting a good work out video/dvd for those scorcher days gives you another option. I had a work out video I would alternate every other day or so, so I wouldn't get bored.

Good Luck!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote