Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #1  

Default Yummy, Easy to Pack, Cold Lunches?

I am having a hard time finding a nice variety of recipes for my lunches. I need healthy food... salad type recipes that I could fix a bunch of on Sunday and pack in individual containers for the week. I do not have easy access to a microwave during lunch so I need stuff that tastes good cold or room temperature. I pack my water for the day and a lunch container all into a 6 pack cooler. Do any of you have suggestions for these type of dishes that are both yummy and healthy?

PS - Is there anyway to prepare salads on Sunday and have them stay fresh until Friday? I have a hard time keeping salad fresh more than a couple of days in my fridge! What is the secret? Thanks
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #2  

Oops! I think I posted this in the wrong section. Could someone please move it to the Food section under Diet Central? Thank you!
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:24 AM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I prepare my salad fixings on Sunday for the rest of the week. I tear up Romain lettuce and leaf lettuce or add bagged spring mix to the Romaine. I put it in a salad spinner to wash and dry the greens. I then put the greens into a large tupperware container and don't add anything to them. This keeps the greens fresh up to 4 days.

The night before work I make one salad up using some of the greens, add chopped raw broccoli, sliced cucumber, chopped low-fat cheese and chopped up lean ham or turkey and put it into a plastic lunch container. I either cut the tomato into the salad in the morning or just take the tomato to work and cut it into the salad just before I eat. This prevents the greens from getting soggy.
I also keep a bottle of dressing in the fridge at work so I don't have to pack that each day.

I also use my stash of lettuce/mixed greens to throw onto a sandwich or a wrap. It is so much easier to have it prepped for you.

I also pack a snack size container of baby carrots and one of hummous and round out my lunch with some fresh fruit.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 339/ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I like to maks pita sandwiches!! I use fat free pits, with fat free ham, lettuce, light mayo and fst free cheese! I'll also put tuna in there to change things up a bit!
Jniniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

During the summer I make macaroni salad to take to work. I use wholewheat pasta and add chopped radish, baby carrots and raw broccoli then I mix in some low fat mayonnaise and a tbsp of low fat Italian dressing. I eat this with rolled up low fat ham or turkey or I sometimes mix drained canned tuna into the macaroni. This keeps well for about 2 or 3 days.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

My favorite salad-type lunch is a faux taco salad thing. I make a salad with romaine/green leaf lettuce plus sometimes shredded cabbage. Then I add chopped up tomatoes, avocado and 1/2 cup of seasoned beans. My favorite are the Caribbean black beans by S&W. You could add some lf/ff shredded cheese too. For a dressing I use lf/ff sour cream and salsa. It's really good with the beans warmed up, but not necessary. I usually take the ingredients to work separately and make the salad fresh at lunch - that way nothing is soggy. I also like to have a warmed up tortilla to eat with this, but a cold one - hmmmm, not as good. The beans give this salad a fair amount of protein, but I'll add some leftover chicken breast or a hard boiled egg for more. I also put in leftover veggies such as asparagus and green beans.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

I often make salads and top them with leftover meats from the night before. If we had grilled chicken the previous night that is what I top it with. I also have been known to use the meats in wraps or pitas. Usually with a diet dressing but I have also found that the homemade dressings found in the WW books can be very good. I like roast beef with the yougurt horseradish sauce! Yum-o!
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #8  

Low carb high-fiber tortilla wraps and low-carb bread are great for making leaner sandwhiches. Pick lean meat with veggies and a limited amount of mayo (but not fat-free mayo, narsty). One that I like is one hard-boiled egg, two hard-boiled egg whites, one teaspoon of mayo, and some veggies in a wrap.
Healthy side dishes: fresh fruit, cottage cheese (like Kraft "Cottage Cheese Doubles" yum), light yogurt, vegitables with a little reduced-fat dressing to dip, garbonzo beans, boca chilli, laughing cow light cheese (spreadable or the kind you just eat out of the little packet).
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #9  

theveganlunchbox.com has some great ideas. you can make all the recipes non-vegan, to tweak it to your tastes. i SERIOUSLY love that website.
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote