Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-30-2006, 08:53 AM   #1  
it's always something

Default What's for breakfast?

What is your favorite healthy breakfast? Do you usually eat the same thing every day? Do you prefer traditional breakfast foods or something else?

Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #2  

I always have oatmeal (porrige), cooked on the stove, with semi skimmed milk. I have a teaspoon of honey on it. When life is good, I have a chopped peach and a handful of blueberries, when life is not so good, I have grated apple. Or sometimes chopped strawberries. At the moment, life is good, and blueberries don't require one to take out a mortgage to buy them

I keep meaning to try other stuff for breaky, but I find anything else just down't keep me satisfied, I know where I am with my oatmeal!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 AM   #3  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I am another oatmeal (yep, porridge for us too) fan. I use the raw oats, soak them overnight in skim milk and water, then microwave them in the morning and top with a drizzle of honey. YUM! They are definitely a 'comfort' food for me and they start my day off beautifully. I add a piece of fruit - generally whatever is in season. At the moment it is a pear, but I love stone fruit, so for a while it was a nectarine or a peach.

I always say that I am going to vary my breakfasts, but I just can't give up my oatmeal. In summer I mostly had cereal with skim milk and fruit, but I've been having the oatmeal and fruit for a while now and can't see me changing for a while.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:33 AM   #4  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I cannot live without my chocolate chip waffles with a TINY bit of butter...no syrup....just butter. Or sometimes I put peanut butter on it....yummmmmy! I have it every morning.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #5  

On days that I am not in a total hurry I really like to saute some broccoli in olive oil in a small pan at a med/high heat, then I pour scrambled eggs over it, turn the heat down to low and cover for 4-5 mins. Once the egg is fully cooked, flip over for a min and serve. For a bit of a sweeter egg you can add grated carrots and green onions to the saute.

I know, broccoli in eggs sounds really wierd but I tell ya...yum yum.
imlovinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:56 AM   #6  
Meg

Oatmeal (with cinnamon and Splenda) and scrambled Eggbeaters - every morning for the past five years. I never get tired of them and it's still my favorite meal of the day.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:01 AM   #7  
LLV

I usually have scrambled egg whites and chocolate milk (I buy the sugar-free Nesquick). But I try and vary my breakfasts as much as possible. Sometimes I have a Lean Pocket breakfast pocket. Other times I'll have a South Beach breakfast wrap. Or a lowfat mini cheese omelet (pic below).

These little things here. They're wonderful. They're frozen individually, I just stick one in the microwave and I'm good. Only 60 calories each, I keep stocked up on them.

Then other days I'll have cereal. This morning I had oatmeal with 1/4 cup of blueberries mixed in. I also like hot oat bran and hot multigrain cereal with flax seed.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I usually rotate around the same three favorites:

2 pieces of whole grain toast (organic, sprouted 20 grain), natural peanut butter

1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup dried blueberries

1/4 cup egg beaters, whole wheat tortilla, spinach leaves, tons of salsa

I also like to smear peanut butter in a whole wheat tortilla, nuke it for 30 seconds and then roll it around a banana, heaven. I also like whole grain waffles and natural peanut butter.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #9  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I rotate between Oatmeal (seems to be very popular), cold cereal (usually kashi) or yogurt with fruit and/or granola on top. I tend to eat one until I'm sick of it and then switch to the next for a few months.

I just tried a new oatmeal this morning that I really like. I found it at costco over the weekend. It has added protein (11 grams per serving) and comes in a to go cup. Looks like the brand name is "premium nutrition"

My Saturday staple restaurant breakfast (after the pool) is a multigrained pancake with jam and two poached eggs.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #10  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

I've recently fallen in love with eating oatmeal mixed with 3 egg whites, splenda, vanilla and cinnamon. I beat the egg whites with the cinnamon, vanilla and splenda, add a little water then stir in oatmeal. I throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes and it is done! It comes out almost like a muffin. I've also made it with coconut extract or strawberry extract --instead of the cinnamon. It's YUMMY and it really fills me up until lunch. If I eat just oatmeal, without the extra protein in the egg whites, I find that I'm hungry again in a few hours.

I've found the most wonderful oatmeal to use! Strum's Healthy for your heart whole grain oatmeal--no sugar added, with heart healthy plant sterols and flaxseed. According to the label it: "helps: reduce cholesterol with 1g soluble fiber from oats, 300mg ALA Omega-3 from flaxseed, Supports healthy arteries--excellent source of antioxidants and B Vitamins, AND manage hypertension--low sodium and good source of potassium. It is an excellent source of Vitamins C & E along with 25mg of grape seed extract and Vitamins b12, B6 and Folic Acid.

The cool thing about my breakfast is that it is so good for me and tastes good too!

Last edited by telemetrynurse; 05-30-2006 at 01:41 PM.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

1 Cup of All-Bran w/extra fiber, w/cinnamon, skim milk, 1/2 cup of blueberries, and 1/2 cup of raspberries. Every morning for the past 6 months and I haven't yet gotten bored with it.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:51 PM   #12  
LLV

I found a recipe tonight for Light Cream of Wheat Pancakes that sounded good. I went ahead and made the recipe, saving 2 pancakes for tomorrow morning's breakfast and froze the rest. It makes 6 pancakes.

2 egg whites
2/3 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup reduced fat buttermilk baking mix
1/2 cup CREAM OF WHEAT Cereal (1-minute, 2-1/2 minute or 10-minute cook time), uncooked
1 Tbsp. margarine, divided

BEAT egg whites and milk in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add baking mix and cereal; stir just until moistened.
MELT 1-1/2 tsp. of the margarine on griddle. Using 1/4 cup of the batter for each pancake, cook on hot griddle until bubbles form on top. Turn to brown other side. Repeat with remaining margarine and batter.

I modified it slightly. I added a tablespoon of ground flax seed to the batter and I cooked them on my griddle with fat-free cooking spray rather than using the margarine. The original recipe is 240 calories for 2 pancakes, but I'm sure NOT using the margarine will cut some of those calories.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #13  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I always have the same thing ... It's a chore to make myself eat breakfast in the morning so I try to pack as much nutrition into one glass as possible!

-1.5 cups skim or soy milk blended with:
-1 scoop chocolate whey protein
-1 tablespoon ground flax seed
-5 frozen strawberries

It's actually pretty good!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:19 PM   #14  

ZedAus... your before and after pictures are INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!
Hungry2Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:54 PM   #15  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry2Live
ZedAus... your before and after pictures are INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!
Wow! I'll second that! What an inspiration!!
shyla2001 is offline   Reply With Quote