Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-10-2005, 02:24 PM   #1  

Default I need motivation to exercise!

i am new to this web site, but am excited. I have decided to make myself healthier, not necessarily thiner, but i would like to lose 30 lbs. i am 230 5ft 4in, i have lost 4lbs in the past 7 weeks, i have been trying to eat right. I have also starting going to hypnotherapy for weight loss. Also have started seeing a natural path doctor who has put me on thyorid meds. My biggest problem is i would rather sit and do my crafts than exercise. i try to do at least 10-15 mins each night on my little stepper, or work in the garden, i also try to walk 2 days a week with my friend, but always come up with excuses. any suggestions??
teann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:38 PM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

First off, congratulations on deciding to get healthy!

Hmmm...I find that I am more likely to keep a regular workout schedule if I exercise in the morning instead of at night (first thing). Also, if I pay for a class, I will definitely be motivated to go because I don't have much money, so I need to get every penny's worth!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #3  

Let me challenge you to think about this in a little different way. Forget about "motivation." First of all, no one here can give you motivation -- it has to be something you give yourself. Second, motivation is an emotion that comes and goes. Even if you were to get motivated to put down the knitting and hit the treadmill, that motivation isn't going to last forever.

Getting healthy -- whether you are talking about eating, or exercise, or whatever -- is about committment. You decide that this is what you are going to do, regardless of whether or not you "feel like it" on any given day. Decide on a reasonable exercise schedule, put it on your calendar, and do it. You do it because it's time to do it, not because you'd rather do it than anything else.

I don't show up for work every day because I'd rather be at the office than at the local coffeeshop with a bagel and a crossword puzzle. I do it because I have to. Same with brushing my teeth, taking out the garbage, writing checks to the landlord. There are consequences if I don't. I don't ENJOY these things, I don't feel "motivated" to do them, but I do them nonetheless.

There may come a day -- I HOPE there comes a day -- where you enjoy exercise for its own sake. But, until that day comes, you have to make up your mind that it is simply something you are going to do because you need to do it.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

funniegrrl -- I couldn't have said it better myself !! Now THAT post was motivating !!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

teann -- Here's a nice article I found for you to maybe get started...

http://www.strongwomen.com/articles/...04selfcare.htm

Quote:
Exercise Motivation Tips

If you need some extra motivation to start or continue an exercise program, you are not alone. Fortunately, there are so many benefits to living a physically active life, one of these reasons is likely to strike a cord with you!

Improve Your Quality of Life:

Exercise will not only extend the length of your life; it will improve your quality of living. You will be less likely to develop osteoporosis, cancer, arthritis and chronic diseases associated with obesity.

Exercise will make everyday physical activities easier! Things like carrying grocery bags, vacuuming, and walking up stairs will be much less of a challenge when exercise is part of your life.

If weight loss is a goal, keep in mind that the more exercise you get, the more lean mass (muscle) you will have. So not only will you look more toned, you will also burn calories much more efficiently!

Here are some motivational tips for starting your exercise program:

Start slowly, both with the number of different exercises you do and length of time you spend at each session

Use visualization daily: visualize yourself completing a great work out

Take responsibility for your emotional and physical health

Schedule, prepare and plan your exercise: make a regular appointment with yourself

Set realistic goals

Make exercise a Top Priority

Keep a daily exercise log

Enjoy your workouts

Don't feel guilty when you miss a session or two; negative feelings hinder motivation

Believe in yourself: You CAN do it!

Here are some motivational tips for continuing your exercise routine:

Exercise at a new time of day

Break up your workout: aerobic workout in the morning then strength train and stretch at night

Try new moves, exercises, or sports: take a new aerobics class, try Tai Chi, or try cross-country skiing—variety is the spice of life

Recruit a family member, work associate, or friend as an exercise partner

Create distractions while you workout: exercise to your favorite music or television show

Finally, if you miss a week or two, or more—don't beat yourself up over it. It is never too late to get started again, and remember: this happens to the best of us.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl
Let me challenge you to think about this in a little different way. Forget about "motivation." First of all, no one here can give you motivation -- it has to be something you give yourself. Second, motivation is an emotion that comes and goes. Even if you were to get motivated to put down the knitting and hit the treadmill, that motivation isn't going to last forever.

Getting healthy -- whether you are talking about eating, or exercise, or whatever -- is about committment. You decide that this is what you are going to do, regardless of whether or not you "feel like it" on any given day. Decide on a reasonable exercise schedule, put it on your calendar, and do it. You do it because it's time to do it, not because you'd rather do it than anything else.

I don't show up for work every day because I'd rather be at the office than at the local coffeeshop with a bagel and a crossword puzzle. I do it because I have to. Same with brushing my teeth, taking out the garbage, writing checks to the landlord. There are consequences if I don't. I don't ENJOY these things, I don't feel "motivated" to do them, but I do them nonetheless.

There may come a day -- I HOPE there comes a day -- where you enjoy exercise for its own sake. But, until that day comes, you have to make up your mind that it is simply something you are going to do because you need to do it.
FG, that was AWESOME!!!!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #7  

Funniegrrl that was great!! Thanks I needed that myself
sissie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #8  

Thanks for the motivation information. It helped me too. I'm just starting back on the exercise again. I'm feeling more motivated myself.

Thanks again.
resilient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:47 PM   #9  
Freedom awaits us

Default Getting Healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl

How true it is and right to the point.
Elaine1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:47 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

funniegrrl I am cracking up... because I just wrote almost exactly the same thing as you did in response to a similar question in another thread! Great answer!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #11  

I was actually just thinking about this on my way home from school today. It has been about 85 degrees, humid, and I have a lot of homework to do. I was really contemplating not exercising, especially since I go on the treadmill which makes me sweat a lot, but I just told myself pretty much the same thing funniegrrl posted--you don't have to like it, just do it. So I did it. And now I feel pretty good that I did!
lavafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:31 PM   #12  
Miss_Smarty_Pants

S/C/G: 160/150/130

First, there are NEVER any excuses. I cop to the fact I don't like to exercise and am lazy, but I truly have no excuses. I recently posted a thread about needing motivation. I found my motivation this afternoon watching my local news. It showed vets disabled in war (some with no legs) who are a part of an organization riding bikes. I felt like I was taking something so simple for granted.....I decided that if they can do it, then I really have no reason to sit on my butt!
smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavafrog
I was actually just thinking about this on my way home from school today. It has been about 85 degrees, humid, and I have a lot of homework to do. I was really contemplating not exercising, especially since I go on the treadmill which makes me sweat a lot, but I just told myself pretty much the same thing funniegrrl posted--you don't have to like it, just do it. So I did it. And now I feel pretty good that I did!
Yup. Been doing this for almost 3 years now. Still haven't found a deep love for exercise, but have found a deep love for how I feel afterward. That's my motivation. So even when I'm begging off of exercise, I remind myself that if I feel too blah now, how will I feel later if I keep sitting there as opposed to how I'll feel after I exercise. Then I get up and do it. And I feel so much more energetic later and end up getting things done.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:44 AM   #14  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good messages! Today was a great example for me. I am still soooooo tired from the cruise... and it was so hot out... that I did NOT want to go on my noon walk. But I went anyway, in spite of every little thought trying to creep its way in that oh it would be okay just this once to crash somewhere. <G>

One thing that does help a lot, though, is becoming involved in an exercise challenge her on 3FC!!! A lot of times I may have skipped out had it not been for the Coast to Coast Challenge and wanting to come online and post my share of the walking goal!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/120; 147/156/120

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post

Thank you for these insights on exercise. Exercise has been the one thing that has been so hard for me to get a handle on. I simply don't like it, but looked at in this way, it helps to take the emotions out of the equation. I do hope there comes a day when I enjoy exercising.
MiniChick is offline   Reply With Quote