Old 05-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/165.5/142

Default Are you Prepared?

Tomorrow is a big eating (and for some-drinking) holiday. Are you ready? Be sure to have a plan as to how you are going to handle the choices you will be faced with tomorrow. I have bought the stuff I need to make a LC feast for myself, with some starchy choices my family will like but that I am not tempted by. I also bought these delicious LC ice cream bars that are peanut butter cup, and I had one last night, and they are SOOOOO good!

So, here is MY menu for tomorrow.

Ribeyes and brauts on the grill
LC coleslaw(it's my favorite slaw ever--I took a recipe of my mom's and converted it to LC)
Devilled Eggs
Salad
Meat and cheese tray
Veggies and dip
LC cheesecake(recipe from Blaine's Low Carb Kitchen)

So, if you don't have a plan, maybe the above will give you some ideas of things you can do. We can exchange ideas on here too. Don't go into tomorrow thinking "I'll just wing it--surely there will be SOMETHING at the Smith's BBQ that I can eat." Make a plan, make a dish, be ready, and enjoy the day--GUILT FREE!
JudyChat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have planned for tomorrow. We're having grilled pork chops, grilled squash, meat and cheese and veggie trays with ranch dip, watermelon, deviled eggs and will have some low-carb ice cream around. New grandson was born at 11:20 PM last night. Not sure of the weight yet, we left before they took him to nursery to weigh him. But, he is less than 7 lbs., I think. Very cute, of course, I'm prejudiced. We are leaving soon to the hospital to take the 2 yr. old to see his new brother. Everyone have a great and safe holiday weekend.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #3  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

That's a great idea Judychat! We aren't doing anything special for Memorial Day-most of the family is out of town and we didn't go. I do have some serious temptation coming up, though, and I'm terrified how I'm going to deal with it. We'll be in Mazatlan, Mexico for about 9 days, so I can't exactly plan any take-along. I'm gonna do my best, and I have the Firecracker on the Fourth challenge I want to keep up with, but all those beans, rice, and tortillas are going to be a serious challenge, because I LOVE mexican food. Anyone have any ideas....like if I do happen to slip up, what will do the least damage? I've heard black beans are pretty low on the glycemic index. Like I said, I'll try to be strong, but I know I'm not going to want to feel totally deprived...It's vacation!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

great menu judychat! I would love to get that LC cole slaw recipe. I hav enever heard of Blaines low carb kitchen. I might have to google that for a recipe. I've been thinking of trying to find a LC cheesecake recipe. I am still trying to stay oninduction (especially since I'm into a 3 weeks stall right now, so I will have to put these things off for the future yet! once I hit my goal I will start testing out how many carbs above induction I can handle.
but thanks for the great ideas
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:49 PM   #5  
Susan hockeyfan7

We had a picnic with friends today. I had 2 baked chicken breasts, cubes of cheese and celery/tomatoes/broccoli with a couple of baby carrots dipped in ranch dressing.

We are probably going to grill steak tomorrow. And asparagus.

For Mexican, fajitas, fajitas, fajitas. Eat the steak, chicken, shrimp, cheese, with some of the guacamole plus the peppers and onions aren't that bad. Just ignore the tortillas. Anything seafood that is grilled is going to be great. They should have a lot of fresh seafood.

We had bacon cheeseburgers on the grill last night with lettuce, tomato and onion.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:49 PM   #6  

Susan, I was going to suggest that too! Fajitas, and taco salads with no shell, no beans! Excellent!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:13 PM   #7  

needtolose4me2, here is that slaw recipe:

Serves/Yields: 5
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time:
Category: Salads
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients
2 tbsp butter
1 pkg slivered almonds(2oz)
1/3 cup oil(canola or vegetable)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4-1/3 cup Splenda
1 pkg cabbage slaw (16oz)

Directions
Melt butter in a non-stick skillet. Add almonds and stir constantly until golden brown.

Mix together oil, vinegar,soy sauce and Splenda in large bowl. Stir until well blended.

Add cabbage slaw to bowl and stir to coat with oil/vinegar mixture. Add almonds and stir together. Chill. Stir immediately before serving.

Note: on the Splenda--I tend to like less of that than most people, so you will want to taste the "dressing" before you mix it with the slaw to see if you should add more or not. I always start out with less than a recipe calls for because you can always add more if you want, but you can't take it back out.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:17 PM   #8  

LILYBELLE! I am so happy for you and your new grandbaby! Congrats, and enjoy that new little one! I just LOVE newborn babies.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:48 AM   #9  
Walk/Low Carb Away Pounds

S/C/G: 190/178.8/170

Height: 5'3-1/2"

What about memorial day barbecue sauce? Anyone have any experience with KC Masterpiece classic blend? It has 2g of carbohydrates per 2tbsp according to the label. That is the same as the amount allowed for salad dressing, does it make it okay for my chicken? BTW - I am still in induction.
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:40 AM   #10  

Well, I suppose going "by the book" I wouldn't use it on induction. But, I have never been THAT "by the book" so I say: if you can have it and still stay within your alotted 20g of carbs per day, then BY GOLLY, go ahead and have it! Just remember, that's 2 TBSP, not 2 HEAPING TBSP! LOL

Have a great holiday!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Judychat - Wow! that really sound like a great recipe. I haven't had any cole slaw which wasnt' the typical mayonnaise variety. THanks. I can't wait to try it.!
Lillybelle - Yes, congrats on the new little addition to your family! That's grat news!
mschris - I second what Judychat says. I also have tried kraft low carb bbq sauce (3 carbs per 2 Tbs) It tastes pretty good.
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/167/130

Talking

DH and I didn't do that much, stayed home and I am in the process of making a pot of soup. Not exciting, but tomorrow we have to get up at 5:00 AM again so will probably hit the sack early. Judy
Born2run2 is offline   Reply With Quote