Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #1  
Queen of Chaos!

Default Suppliments for hypothyroid?

Does anyone here take any suppliments, I've heard for example Evening Primrose Oil is good?
mysticvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #2  
Meg

Mysticvix, I'd be really careful about self-medicating for hypothyroidism. If you're hypo, you need to be diagnosed and treated by a doctor and given prescription thyroid hormone replacement. Your hormone levels need to be monitored at regular intervals and your dosages tweaked to keep you right where you're normal and feeling good. It's really not a condition that you can self-diagnose or treat. Has a doctor told you that you're hypothyroid?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:15 AM   #3  
Queen of Chaos!

Hi,
Yes, sorry I should have been clearer! I have been diagnosed Hypothyroid and have been on Thyroxine for about a month I've just had bloods done to check my levels this week, and I'm due back at the doc's next wednesday.
really what I was getting at was suppliments to take over and above medication, Evening Primrose oil has been mentioned to me, as has Kelp, I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of suppliments
Old 05-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #4  

I am on and off again hypothyroid. I have tried kelp and it tastes absolutely disguisting. You really have to have a taste for the stuff. Also, to get the benefits of kelp, you have to eat a lot, and I mean a lot.
calico_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #5  
Queen of Chaos!

I was thinking of the capsules!! LOL

Old 06-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #6  
banned

kelp isnt something to take w meds bc itook kelp w/o meds and went hyper
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 157.2/157.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Evening Primrose Oil has been said to help with hair loss associated with hypothyroidism, as per Mary Shomon from http://thyroid.about.com You have to be very consistent with it, which I'm horrible at. But my hair is falling out like mad (even while my thyroid levels are well within the normal range), so I may become more disciplined in taking EPO.
hottiewithin is offline   Reply With Quote