Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #1  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Default shopping too much

Is anyone else having this problem as they lose weight. I am having a hard time with not wanting everything. I can't afford to have it all, but it seems I spent so many years in ugly, frumpy clothes that I just can't resist. I think I'm at the size I am planning to maintain at (5lbs. to goal) so I think I'll get use out of the clothes. My husband was more supportive of the shopping at first but tends to act like I need to slow down now. I just want to look good and never felt like it was possible before. The bills are paid on time but I know I need to save some money.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:27 PM   #2  
Susan hockeyfan7

I just had to replace my whole wardrobe as people at work were laughing at me. I was wearing sizes 24 or 26 and I'm now an 18 or 20. I just spent the money even though I will have to do it again several times. I bought on sale and just told myself I have to have decent clothes for work. My husband didn't blink an eyelash.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #3  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

lily-
I am so inspired by your dramatic weight loss-I see your posts here all the time! I think it's only natural to want to reward yourself for all of your hard work, and to want to show off the result of your efforts. We all of course have a budget to live by, but that might not be his concern. This may not be the case for you, but I know with my history of up and down weight my dh will probably feel the same way, whether he's brave enough to come out and say it or not, but I'm sure he'll be worried that all of that money may go to waste if I gain some of it back. All of us formerly or currently "fat chicks" have a special place in our closet for our skinny clothes. Just an idea why there might be some friction there, but hey, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. He may even be worried about all the new "attention" you'll be getting!
If that's not the case and it's just about cash, and you live in an area where it's possible, shop a secondhand store like a Goodwill or consignment shop, or even garage sales. I've found some real steals in those places! If you're like me, living in BFE, try Ebay. There are SO many clothes listed there that lots of good stuff is overlooked, and you can find some good bargains if you shop carefully. I try to find the auctions that end late at night or early in the morning when there isn't much competition for bids, and stuff with low shipping costs. I've found lots of brand new, still with tags clothing that even after shipping I don't pay more than 1/4 to 1/2 what retail is!
Lots of husband's out there will NEVER understand the struggles we go through to lose or maintain our weight, because they've never had that to worry about. Men and their metabolisms!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:31 AM   #4  
lilybelle

I did shop at yard sales some when I was dropping sizes quickly. There really aren't any consignment shops close to where I live. I currently don't have an E-bay account but would like to try this. I think I don't need any more clothes right now unless something comes up that I would need a dressy outfit for. Most everything I've bought is casual, everyday clothes. Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:17 AM   #5  
Baby Steps

You answered my question before I could even post it. I was going to ask if you needed more clothes. But I see you don't. I think the urge to get different clothes is natural. I did the same thing

WTG on recognizing you don't NEED more clothes
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #6  
lilybelle

Thanks Brenda, I'm going to make a conscious decision to not buy any more clothes til late fall. All my stuff from last winter is too big.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:03 AM   #7  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

just yesterday my dh commented about this!! I used to go on food binges and now I have shopping binges. I'm trying my best to stay away from malls and when I'm asked to go shopping with friends/family I've been politely turning them down...bills have to be paid before I can pack my closet

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:12 PM   #8  
Susan hockeyfan7

Lacey, you can go shopping with friends/family and enjoy the experience. Do not carry any cash, credit/debit cards or checkbook with you so you cannot spend money. Enjoy trying things on and getting the exercise of walking around the mall and spending time with your friends/family more than actually buying anything.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #9  
lilybelle

Just when I thought my DH was tired of me buying clothes, last night he told me to go get me some new shirts and new bras. We are going out tonite with all his company's friends and he wants me to look nice. So, to the mall I headed, bought 4 shirts . Still need to go somewhere that will fit me for the right size bras , my boobs have definitely shrunk. I'm tired of my granny bras and does anyone know if Lane Bryant sells pretty bras in about a 36C or D?
Old 05-26-2006, 05:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 221.2/186.4/170

Height: 5'7"

Glad to hear he is encouraging your shopping.
I have no idea about Lane Bryant, but I like the outlet malls Playtex stores (if there is one close to you). They have a pretty good selection at a decent price. They also carry other brands like Bali (the ones that I buy). Anyway just a thought.
from another shop a lot er
Ciarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

I use www.onehanesplace.com they have all brands there at really good prices.
maggie
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:13 PM   #12  
lilybelle

Thanks for the bra ideas. My problem is that I am used to wearing the playtex cross your hearts for extra support. But, if anything is cut very low at all, the bra will show. I can't wear under-wires at all but need a lot of support. I have bought 2 Bali bras and they didn't give me enough support, but may have just been the type I bought. I hate spending a lot of money on bras because no one sees them but me.