Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 07:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 380/262/180

Talking #138- Thanksgiving Thread

Hope no one minds that I started this up. I figured we have a thread to post our challenges and goals, now we just need to to talk about getting there and everything else!

Today is my first day back at the GYM , so with me luck. I'm actually really looking forward to it. The gym used to be my "release" place where I had time to myself to think about life.

My goal is to go three times a week, Mon. Wed. and Fri's. On Tues. and Thurs. the "women only" days are all the way accross town, but I think three days is just right for me anyway.

I hope everyone has a really good day... and OP too!

Michelle
Old 11-05-2001, 12:03 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Happy Monday everyone!! Today seems to be a day of renewed commitment on our board!! I'm with you!! Once again, I have gotten up and dusted myself off and am ready to be serious again. I do not want to focus on the why's and how's of being off program, but the why's and how's of being OP!!!!

I recently visted one fat man's web site and he has made a change to it. YOU HAVE GOT TO GO LOOK AT IT!!! It's great what's he's done. Gave me goose bumps!! For the newbies it's www.onefatman.com

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!!

Michelle - Good luck at the gym!!!
Old 11-05-2001, 12:16 PM   #3  

OH MY GOSH, what a great site!!!!! Thanks for reminding us to check it out, I'm totally amazed! The intro brought tears to my eyes!!!
Old 11-05-2001, 05:01 PM   #4  

Michelle-

Do you have access to the IM center on campus- I think staff can use them, can't they? I found that IM Circle was hardly ever busy- typically 2 or 3 other people there most of the times I went so it was great- and cheap as a student- lol. Do you know if they still have water aerobics? I would love to be able to do that again though I have to get clearance to go swiming with having the feeding tube. Even when they didnt' have water aerobics I use to go to the pools (and I know staff have access to them) mostly on the weekends just to get some exercise in.

JacobsMommy - Fred posted with us here in the 100 # club when he was first starting out on his weight loss journey. I will take a look at his revamped site- heck, I still remember his very first weight loss web site.

I'm still hanging in here. I have been getting some exercise in on my Mom's Abdoer. I have to say that thing sneaks up on me- lol. It seems like half the times I venture into my family room (that is were she keeps it...and with having to drag my IV pole for the feeding pump everywhere in the house I don't get to my family room more then 3 or 4 times a week)- I end up on the addoer. I usually sit on it because I want to use it to stretch my back and have the roller thing rub my back so I start out doing some slow moves and before I know it I have a good 20-30 mintue routine done. I need to get back to usign the recumbant exercise bike a few minutes everyday and then move on to the cross country ski machine but I haven't been able to yet.

It is embaressing to say this but between my mom (who has been staying with me the past 2 years to help out due to my medical problems) and I we have more exercise equipment then some small gyms...11 pieces of 'big euipment,' maybe I should get one more thing to make it an even dozen . Let's see, there is a recumbant exercise bike, upright exercise bike (mom's- was mine but it hurt my knee), Pilate's performer with box & pole, magic circle, Abdoer (mom's), small exercise/weight bench, Sear's cross country ski machine, Nordic Track cross country ski machine (need to work up to that one with the Sear's one), manual treadmill (that I have nevered used/can't use now- got it from a neighbor's garage sale), air glider (mom's- I gave it to her), eliptical trainer (mom's), dumb bells (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 pound sets), ankle weights (1, 2, 3, 5 pound sets), two exercise ball (55-65 cm diameter), several theraband elastic straps (from all my physical therapy for the knee), upper body cycle (made from a recumbent exercise bike- use for light cardio when on crutches or having more problems with my knee), glide boards (to simulate ice skating side to side- can't use it anymore with my knee condition).

Admitting I have this much exercise stuff is as embaressing to admitt anywhere other then here that I once weighed 285 pounds! What we use regularly (recumbent bike, Sear's skier, exercise bench, Pilate's stuff, dumb bells, ankle weights, and theraband cords) is in what use to by my formal living room- and of course the Abdoer is in the family room (no more space in the 'exercise room'/living room)- the rest is in storage in either the basement or garage.

Actually what I was getting at with this long confession to being adicted to exercise equipment is that I should never have an excuse for not exercising at least a little each day but yet I don't. I know part of the problem lately is that I dealing with my feeding tube takes 3-4 hours per day (every 2 hours I spend 10-15 minutes taking meds/water) and I sleep 10-12 hours at night along with taking 2-4 hours of naps/rest periods during the day. I really feel like I have no time to exercise and that my energy is so limited I need to save it for 'more important things.'

I also have this problem with being obsessed with exercise once I start. I am not happy with only doing 5-10 minutes- no I have to exercise for 45 min to 1 hour. I guess it is the perfectionist side of me that gets in the way. I really need to work on just exercising a little each day- it is so important for me to regain all the strength I lost with surgery and the gastroparesis keeping me in bed for weeks this summer. I really needed to 'say' this here, to think it through...and to get cyber-kicks-in-the-butt from all of you to commit to 10 minutes of exercise a day on any of the pieces of ex equipment I have. Now I just have to figure out a reward for meeting me goal...another piece of equipment maybe?

Thanks for putting up with my babling about my exercise (or lack of) dilema.

Christine
Old 11-06-2001, 12:05 PM   #5  

Hey everyone..it's Tuesday. Only 3 more days to go till this weekend. wohoo. I am now looking for a new job, am about to go "corporate" here. Ha ha ha

Food wise, doing well, under control. Haven't gotten into the whole exercise thing yet. It's cold out, so I haven't been walking. Were located on top of a big hill, and it's REALLY windy out.

Will post more later
Old 11-07-2001, 07:58 AM   #6  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Hi all. How is everyone doing? Things are not too bad here. The baby is doing very well, starting to smile and coo. The DH and I had a bit of a fight at the beginning of the week but things are better now. This guy at his work that was giving him grief got fired so he is happier at work so that helps out here. We are still getting out for plenty of walks and I actually drank 2 large bottles of water yesterday though I did eat a few too many treats. Well baby steps!

Christine - I can so relate to your exercise equipment story. I haven't had that much all at once but we sure have had our share of equipment we didn't use. Right now I have a recumbent bike, a rowing machine and a weight bench all sitting in the dining room waiting to be used. That is probably why I haven't gotten back to using any of it, I think I need to spend an hour instead of starting slowly. Why don't the 2 of us workout together? I'll do 10 minutes on my bike today if you will too. How does that sound?

Take care all.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:22 AM   #7  

Good Morning

Hi everyone,

Jen- those baby smiles are just so adorable!

Christine- we do have the IM's on campus. But to be perfectly honest, I feel uncomfortable going to them. I have a gym membership to a gym that is off campus. I know it's really lousy for me to feel this way, but I like to hide when I exercise so I'm not worried about people staring at me . I know I shouldn't care what people think, but I'm taking baby steps here.

Jenniffer- I've noticed that some people are talking about the "Walk off the Pounds" videos. I haven't seen or heard anything about them, except a few posts here and there. I'm assuming they require a tredmile? But maybe not, I'm not sure. Anyhow, I was just trying to think of an alternative to walking outside in the freezing cold!!!

And a HI! to everyone else.

Well, I didn't go to the gym on Monday. At work we had some death threats and bomb threats. To make a very very long story short, it's been a rough couple days at work! Anyhow, we had to evacuate the building at 1:30, and everything was just downhill from there. I WILL be going today however, and am very much so looking forward to it.

Food, well, I plead the fifth. Haven't been doing hot with that. The stress from Monday resulted in M&M's, potato chips, and other junk. After I ate those things, I realized that I was pigging out on them like a food junkie. It was kinda scarey, but now I'm really seeing how much stress comes into play with my eating habits.

A little off the diet subject, I had a parent/teacher conference last night. I always knew my daughters speech was a little behind. She's two years old and still doesn't put two words together very often, let alone make sentences. So I knew that was a concern. But the other things they told me are really bothering me. They said she is having a very difficult time playing with other children because she's communicating with them physically, and they are trying to communicate verbally. Also, her attention span is uncommonly short and they said she "seems to be in her own world, not caring about anything else around here for a high percentage of the time."

I'm going to call the Speech and Audiology clinic on campus to see what services and testing they have to offer. I have a hearing loss, so I've always been concerned about hers. But I'm even more concerned about her attention span and socialization skills. Her biological father had some of the same issues, so I'm trying to find out if it's genetic or not.

Does anyone here deal with ADHD, speech problems or pre-school aged development? I sure could use some advice. Her doc doesn't seem to be that concerned, but I am.

Anyhow, thanks for listening to me ramble. I hope everyone has a really good day!!

Michelle

Last edited by spartanMOM; 11-07-2001 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:42 AM   #8  

Good morning everyone. It's Wednesday right? Whew. I am hoping this week picks up speed, it's been a doozy of a week already. But I better be careful, I am falling into the trap of wishing all of the days away. I'll be 70 before I know it.

I've been doing pretty good food wise. Still working on keeping my water up and getting in some exercise. I am still unpacking and repacking, and moving all of the stuff in the house. I am going to start painting soon, so that will give me some exercise.

My soon to be ex, John called me yesterday. We haven't really been having decent conversations for some time, not like it was when we first seperated. Ever since he got his girlfriend, he's been "busy". So, he called me yesterday and we ended up talking for like 20 minutes. It was nice, we laughed and in a strange way, it almost seemed like he was "flirting" with me in a way. Strange. Anyways, he explained to me that he cannot keep the cats any longer. He is working too much, leaving the cats alone. They are depressed and he can't really swing the finance part of 3 cats. Which is a lie, but I do understand. Well, there is no way that my Mother will alow me to bring my cats home, so now am stuck. Nobody will adopt 3 cats together, and I cannot see seperating them. He said that he will keep them till I get my own place. But I explained to him, that it could take awhile before that happens. Rent here is sky high and even if I find something I could swing comfortably, it most likely wouldn't be big enough for 3 cats. So, now am a bit troubled. I don't know what to do. Time will tell I guess.

spartanmom..Wow. Sounds like you've had quite the roller coaster ride with work. It's very scary, I know. My youngest sister has ADHD. She is now 15 but was diagnosed when she was 4. She's been in therapy for all sorts of things, and she has improved alot. But it's a battle. Please don't listen to your doctor, if he is not as concerned as you are. Find a new doctor. She is only 2, and if you find out what is going on now, it will be easier down the road. I'll keep you both in my thoughts. keep your chin up, everything will work out. But don't trust your doctor if you don't feel confident. If the school sees it, which they spend alot of time with her, than there is an issue to deal with, despite what the doc says. Also, there is alot of info on the internet, so I would do some homework. They have found that alot of children that are diagnosed with ADHD actually have some food allergies, or something like that. It's very interesting and of course doesn't apply to all children, but I found it to be interesting.
Oh, and by the way...I think that was your pic that I remember on the bio thread. Your absolutly beautiful.

Jen..Glad to hear that the baby is doing well. My sister out in Cali is still adjusting to being a Mom. The baby was a bit colicy, but seems to be doing better now. She is coming home next month, I cannot wait to hold my niece for the 1st time.

Christine..Hey there. Sounds like your doing well, still getting some exercise in. Being obsessed with exercise is a good thing. no wonder why you always say that you don't "look" like your weight. You must be really toned.

JacobsMommy..Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering about him, haven't "seen" him in some time. I will check it out. How are you doing?

Hope all is well with everyone. Do you believe that it's November 7th already?!?!?
Old 11-08-2001, 01:37 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Hi all!!

Jennifer asked how I was doing. Well as you can see by my gain and change in my siganture, not well! I can see myself slipping into "It's OK to gain land". I am making excuses to other people about how "hard" it's going to be during the holidays and how I'm just not doing very well. I am setting the stage for a full blown gain. I can see it now. I've already gained back 4 lbs.

So as of this morning I am going to try and break the cycle. Had a heart to hart with hubby and told him of the path I am on. He agreed we have to get back on.

I am determined to break the 40 lb curse. I have never lost more than 40 lbs and then I have always gained back double or more in a mere months. I do not want to weigh 341. That would be double.

So my sob story is that I am starting over, determined to win. I know you have all heard this from me more than once. Thanks for always being there!

Tomorrow my mom and I are going to a craft fair with over 350 exhibits!!! Can't wait. I will get lots of exercise!!

Jacob took his first steps last week. He is doing more every day!!

Jennifer - Keep up the good work. I am so proud of you. I hope your cat situation works out.

Michelle - Sorry that things at work have been so nuts. It must be kinda scary. I think you are right to follow up with your concerns about Katelyn. Anything that you can do now, can only help her in the future. Let us know what you find out.

Jen - Glad to hear that things are going well. I hate to be a pian, but...pictures???

christineu - Your exercise equiptment story made me smile. I would be in the SAME situation, but my husband kinda limits what I buy. It's always use what you have regularly, then you can buy whatever you want. And of course I never do!!!
Old 11-08-2001, 10:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Things are going well here. I'm still just monitoring what I"m eating until I can find a plan that suits me. Let me tell you (those of you who don't think you can eat 4,000 calories in a day it can be done). I didn't realize that I could consume so much in one day. I seem to go to extremes from as little as 1,000 calories one day to nearly 4,000 the next. I did better at keep my nighttime eating under control today. I only had one plate of food
and I walked 2 miles last night and tonight and on my drive home from work have been doing some arm exercises while driving.
I really would like to try weight watchers, but until I move, it's going to be hard to do. I'm needing something structured right now in my life to keep me on track. I've already been looking into chapters in the area and of course there's not one in the new town, but we'll see.

Sandi--I know how that goes. I lost about 50 pounds in high school and that's the most I've ever lost. Of course I went from 225 to 175 and am now thinking that either one of those weights would be great to be at right now. I just have to keep telling myself one day at a time.

jen-->sounds like you handled the call with the ex well. I'm sorry to hear about the cats. I don't know what I'd do if I had to give up my 2 dogs.

spartanmom-->Good luck with your daughter. I hope the speech people have some positive news for you.

Everyone else--> good luck in this journey.

Dawnyal
Old 11-10-2001, 11:03 AM   #11  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Hi all. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. It is sunny but cool and windy here. A perfect autumn day. I had such a good time yesterday out strolling with the baby, I love this kind of weather.

Barby - thanks so much for mentioning fitday! I started food journaling there the other day and what a difference it has made already. I'm so much more conscious of what I am eating. I think you are doing a great job with your walking! Keep it up

Jacobsmommy - I've been thinking about the holidays too and already indulged and bought a bunch of food from the specialty store. Once they are gone though, no more!! I almost bought a magazine devoted to cookies then thought, well I'll be the one to eat most of them and I don't need that. I know we can get through the holidays!

Jenniffer - if I could take those cats off your hands I would. I hope you can find them a good home somewhere. I have 2 cats of my own and it would break my heart if I had to give them away. How is the water going? Are you back to being the water queen?!

Michelle - wow, what a thing to go through at work , no wonder you were stressed! It is bad enough that we are all going through the fall out from Sept 11 without having idiots pulling pranks just to get their jollies. Go to the gym and work out some of the stress by kicking a punching bag!

Things are okay with me, I've been exercising regularly and my diet has been better since I've been journalling. Christine, have you been doing your biking? I've been doing 10 minutes a day, I"m ready to move up next week! Take care all have a great day.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:21 PM   #12  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I just wante d to let you all know i am alive and doing wll. nothing ew for me. except that i may make my t-day goal. i have 5 more to lose!! ad almst 2 weeks. i have made sme changes in my eating so that should help!!!
Old 11-12-2001, 08:27 AM   #13  

Wink Happy Monday!

Good Morning Chickies!

Not a very OP weekend for me. Although we did a lot of outdoors stuff in the afternoon which gave me "some" exercise, my food choices weren't so hot. I stayed away from the sweets, but the carbs got to me big time. At least I know where my weaknesses are. I'm also up to 302, but it's also TOM for me. I always gain a few pounds around that time. Today is a gym day, and I'm finding myself looking forward to going. I love the time away it gives me from work, school, mom-stuff... to just do something for me.

Anyhow, this week WILL be better and it WILL be OP!

Jenniffer, like I said in my PM, thanks for your supportive and kind words. It really meant a lot to me. A man update please? Haha!!

Jacobs, gaining back double would be horrible!! Just keep reminding yourself of how much hard work you've put into yourself... and that ever day, hour, minute is a test for you to prove to yourself that you CAN beat the fat gods!! We know you can do it!!!

Dawnyal, this may sound really cooky, but sometimes writing your own little weight loss manual can add a lot of structure. I know what it's like to not have the support chapters nearby, when I moved it got much much harder to go to TOPS. I ended up dropping because the time it took to go and get back was longer then the meeting itself. Anyhow, writing down my own plan, goals, rewards, etc. makes me feel like it's more "real." Just a suggestion.

Jen, your suggestion is exactly what I did. Although it wasn't a punching bag, I did pump some major iron. And felt a heck of a lot better! I bought one of those cookies magazines... and a week later I through it in the trash. Money down the tubes, but better that then junk down my mouth!

Sue, you go girl!! You can make it!!!!

And Hi to everyone else. Let's make today great day by taking care of and loving ourselves!!!

Michelle
Old 11-12-2001, 10:45 AM   #14  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Hi all. busy day again for me. what day sin't? OH well laundry and tons of puter work fo rm e so i will get the house done forst then start the mind stuff. but had to stop iand ans say hi. did a killer workout today i am so weak in the upper body that i am ticked off i felt like i had my 8 yr olds arms on mje!!! NOT GOOD!! so it is push the upper body!!

Michelle youa re doing great. what diet are you on? i do Protei Power so i do a lot of carf watching. dring lot of water if you over do the carbs then it will lead to a fluid overload, so dringf and in a few days that will drop off, you will also notice that your carb craving go up during tom a bit of chromium will help there.

Hi to all else.

We are a team and we can do this together!!!
Old 11-13-2001, 01:06 PM   #15  
beautiful

Angry howdy howdy howdy

i'm still here. i'm still pregnant. i can not wait for this to be over with. i am in pain all the time and sooo uncomfortable. i do go to the doc friday. i am going to try to talk him into inducing me. LOL
i have gained 24 pounds.

dillon is doing good. he weighs 34 pounds and is 38 inches tall. he said bacon bits the other night. he has been REALLY good lately. i am trying to get stuff ready for his birthday. i can't believe my baby is going to be 3 in a couple weeks!! this time has sure gone by fast.

i'm sorry i dont have any individual replies. i just thought i would pop on to say i am still alive. i come in and check up on you guys often. i hope you all continue to do well. congrats to all the losers and welcome to all the newbies!!
Closed Thread