Old 05-23-2006, 06:37 PM   #1  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Can anyone recommend a good Meal replacement protein powder?!

I've been drinking the no added sugar Carnation instant breakfasts with skim milk in the mornings with much success but I'm looking to ramp up my protein intake and lower my sugar intake even more . Anyone have any recommendations?! Thanks!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:55 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have only ever tried one kind - Whey Gourmet. I have tried a couple different flavours, chocolate, vanilla, and a juice one cran'raspberry. Some tips for you:

Mix them in a blender - they taste okay but smell funny so I have to drink mine quick. If you can't mix it in a blender I recommend making it the night before and letting it sit in the fridge overnight to make sure everything is disolved.

If you do make it in a blender mix in frozen berries, yogurt, etc. I try and drink one every morning even tho some mornings I have to plug my nose to drink it (I have a real hard time eating stuff once I get it in my head that I wont like it - doesn't matter how good it is, if I think it might taste even the slightest bit gross I gag on it, lol). I think it has helped me, but I can't say for sure.

Another thing, the jucie kind is less calories. Because I just drink it like juice and mix it with water. The shakes ones taste better with milk and have even more calories when you start adding fruit. But I like having both kinds so I can mix it up. Of course the shakes are more filling.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #3  
Phillipians 4: 6-7

Ultramet is the BEST! They are very high protein (which I need, since I don't eat red meat, or a lot of meat in general, and am lifting weights). They sell them at my gym and at certain nutrition stores (I haven't seen them at GNC yet...). You can find them online too for much cheaper.

The vanilla flavor can get a little old, and tastes better if you mix some fruit in with it. Haven't had the strawberry yet, but I've heard its pretty good.

The chocolate, however.... HOLY COW. I think it tastes like a melted Wendy's frosty... way too yummy for a protein shake! Now that I'm back in the game, this has become my breakfast in the mornings once again! This one has 29g protein, 190 calories, 1.5g fat, 16g carbs (2 fiber, 2 sugar). [EDIT: This is for the chocolate Ultramet Lite, not the regular or low carb versions!]

(btw, I use a handheld/stick blender to mix mine up- super quick, and works a million times better than stirring!)

hope this helps!

Last edited by McDreamy's Fat Chick; 06-04-2006 at 01:23 PM.
McDreamy's Fat Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #4  
Meg

I'm a big UltraMet fan too but I use the low carb version. It comes in packets that are 230 calories each, 35g protein, 6g carbs (of which 4 are sugars), and 6g fat. I'm a fan of the chocolate and vanilla flavors and get them on-line at www.netrition.com.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Thanks!! I just ended up with a can of 100% whey protein that I've been mixing with milk and berries and it's kind of a chore to choke down. I'll keep an eye out for the UltraMet!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:52 AM   #6  

The one I like the best and currently use is Essence by Syntrax, it tastes really great. It has 100 calories per serving with 23 grams of protein 0 fat and 1 gram of carbohydrate.

I have also tried their Matrix 5.0 which is much cheaper (you get twice as much) and it still tastes great.

Most online retailers sell Syntrax, personally I buy from www.ortogo.com
torelli is offline   Reply With Quote