Old 05-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 199/192.2/165

Lightbulb Camping this weekend...need some ideas!

Ok everyone I am going camping for the whole weekend. I go ever Memorial Day Weekend up to Door County WI. I am a little worried though about staying on track. I am looking for some ideas for eating while camping. The La Lites will help me out alot and I am bring a bunch of fresh veggies cut up. Any other ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated!
Maddie'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:57 AM   #2  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

You're on the right track with the veggies and lites. We went camping a couple of weekends ago and I did the same. Lot's of fruit, fresh cut veggies. I also got some of the LA snacks-cheese curls. You could also get some of the 100 calorie packs of doritos, cheetos or fish snacks if you have starch cravings. DH grazes the whole time we are camping and I was really kind of mean to him cuz I didn't pack any greasy chips or sweet snacks. He usually gets 2-3 boxes of the little Debbie snacks. I told him this time he would just have be stuck with one big Debbie. I did go off plan a little bit, but nothing like what I used to do, so to me that is an accomplishment in itself. Don't forget tons of water and lots of fun exercise. ENJOY!!
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/169/120

Height: 5'2"

Where do you go in Door County? I grew up in Green Bay so I've been camping up north there too many times to count. The last time we went camping we made beef kabobs over the campfire. They were sooo good! I used lean meat and tons of veggies so there were pretty healthy too. If you wanted you could cut out the meat and just make veggie kabobs. Those were really good as well.
KristiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #4  
Let's try this again . .

I know yogagurl has a preferred brand of veggie hot dogs-but of course I can't remember which ones-Morningstar maybe? They have the really good corn dogs so the reg hot dogs should be good.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #5  
Let's try this again . .

I don't know what kind of camping you're doing-but the last time I went with my folks in their RV-my mom made a huge bowl of chicken salad-chx breast, celery, red grapes, lite mayo. We ate on it all weekend whenever something off-plan was served. I also made a batch of veggie soup that I nuked whenever I felt the need for veggies. Very filling and warmed me up when it was chilly at nite.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:58 PM   #6  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Great suggestions ladies. The chicken salad sounds great, as does a pot of soup. Kabobs, too. I wondered about foil dinners, too. I do not think that we will be cooking in the dutch oven this time. We always do dutch oven potatoes, chicken, and cobbler. You could do barbeque chicken, I guess. As far as breakfast goes, I think that I will stick with what I eat at home, and pack instant oatmeal packets for my kids. They love those, and some SF hot chocolate for them, coffee for me. DH won't eat breakfast anyway. Baby carrots, celery, cucumbers, peppers, all in a big veggie tray, cheese sticks, open faced hamburgers, pita sandwiches, I can make this work. I just have to work at it a little. I am really looking forward to a camping trip where I do not feel like crap the whole time because my blood sugar is too high.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #7  

I don't know if you have acess to a barbeque pit, but you could always cook up some chicken that's on plan, hamburger meat, potato (startch), corn (startch), maybe roast some veggies.

Hmm....... this sounds good maybe I will barbeque at my house.
haylo921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:23 PM   #8  

I go camping at Penninsula State Park...Welckers Point Campground...its in Fish Creek! Its my favorite spot. I camp in the same site every year too. This is like my 6th year going!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #9  

I havent seen the Veggie hotdogs but I am going to look for them...Thanks for that suggestion!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 283/270/165

I cooked foil dinners here at the house and then took them in the cooler. Put them on the coals of the fire to warm them up and your done no mess just toss the foil. We also make eggs in freezer bags....put two eggs in a freezer bag with veggies and cheese what ever you want...then put in boiling water...all cooks up like an omlet...and slide right out of the bag onto paper plates...no clean up just a pan of water over the campfire. I used the warm water to get the kids cleaned up and off for the day.
alextucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #11  

I am going to be tent camping. I do have a fire pit in the campsite so I could maybe precook chix breasts and then grill them on the grill for a meal with BBQ sauce or something like that. Ok thanks everyone for all the suggestions and ideas...I am going to be doing alot of hiking and walking so I am hoping to burn alot off!
Old 05-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #12  
LAWL/gold since oct. 2005

Height: 5'8

Just don't forget to bring lots of water- that is always the harderst thing for me to remember to keep up like I do when I am at home.
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote