UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #1  

Default Beauty Tips

I always enjoy reading the beauty tips in other areas of the site but of course they are never about UK products.

So I thought we should have our own UK beauty tip thread.

What products and skincare stuff do you use and why?
Also where do you get them from and what sort of budget do you go for?

I have sensitive skin so I have to be really careful. I use clarins toner and moisturiser which is on the expensive side but I rationalise that you only get one skin so you should take good care of it. I use a simple body moisturiser too and either nivea or simple hand cream.

I don't wear much makeup just a bit of touche eclat during the week under the eyes I've always had terrible bags and a bit of lip gloss and if I'm going out I then dust off the makeup bag.

How about you guys?
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #2  

I use Clinique foundation, sometimes Maybelline dream mousse if I want something heavier. I love Urban Decay eye shadows. For lips I vary, sometimes max factor, rimmel, lancome juicy tubes, l'oreal is one of my favourites for lips. For blush I use maybelline dream mousse or bourjois.

I use clinique moisturiser at present, but I often use a cheaper one from Boots, whatever is on offer!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:39 PM   #3  

I used to use clinique but it messed my skin up. I've been sold that clarins is more natural but we'll see.

I love urban decay too for going out.
I've never heard of maybelline dream mousse whats it like?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:51 PM   #4  

The dream mousse is great, it's quite cheap, it goes on smoothly, gives a nice matt finish, and you get heaps in a jar and a little goes a long way. The blush is great too. The eye shadow is hopeless though. i can't get a good coverage, and it seems to crease and go mottled.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

I just love a cream

I use Estee Lauder Daywear Moisturiser, I like their foundation also but try and use that only for the evenings. Daytime I use a Bourgeois one.

I smother my body in cream every single day, and I vary them. I'm very partial to Cocoa Butter though.

I often wash my face in Aqueous Cream which is under £2.00 from Superdrug.I'd really recommend it. God I could go on all night but don't worry I won't. Ooh and I love lipgloss.

Hope you are all well

Michele
micheleherts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #6  

I use aqueous cream in the bath but I don't have a bath in my student house, its great for sorting eczema.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I use Clinique toner stuff... No7 night cream, Max Factor foudation if I wear makeup, with Clinique mascara and Armani lippy. I have some Mac Eyeshadows for when I feel adventurous!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 174/148/138

Height: 5' 9"

Just Boots Skin Kindly "stuff", never worn makeup since my Goth Days when I seriously over did it ..

Actually thinking about it, if someone gave my a bag of makeup I wouldn't know what to do with it
Moo :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #9  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I don't wear makeup often and when I do it is usually just Maybelline mascara, a bit of Avon sort of nude colour eyeshaddow and a vanilla lipgloss - I think once you get to a 'certain' age putting on a lot of makeup just makes you look older. I don't use face make up any more - I hate that coated feeling - like my skin can't breathe.

As for skin care, I don't use cleanser (no need) or toner (too harsh) but I do spend a lot on moisturiser. I'm a sucker for trying something new. At the moment I'm using RoC Retinol Actif Pur (the one for light wrinkles) both the day and the night creams. I can't remember how much it costs but it seems to be lasting forever.

One BIG beauty tip - if, like me, you get tempted to try instant tan - try it out on a hidden bit of you first to find out what colour it goes - DON'T slap it on all over (like I did) then panic when you turn orange (like I did).
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #10  

Ok - Cleaner is usually a wipe off one (cleansing milk wiped off with cottonwool) but I do also use those olay wipes - either the wet ones or the ones you have to wet - if you see what i mean...

I am quite liking L'oreals age Resistant cleanser and Olay one too. I also really like the nivea stuff - but not the dark blue pot. I like the energy cream I think it is called.Also like the Nivea cleansers.

I also have a Clarins moisturiser which is quite light but hydrates well- a pump action one - I can never remember the names!

I have always liked the Simple range and sometimes use the light moisturiser on my oily bits.

I am also liking Boots Time Delay stuff as well. They have a nice moisturiser.

Foundation wise I am using an Estee Lauder one called (I think ) Maximum Cover. I am also liking a boots No 7 one I think it is called intelligent or something. ALso a Givenchy one called Teint Satine Mirior which is oil free.

I don't wear blusher unless I am out for the evening as I have enough colour. However I do like the Maybeliine blush that people have already talked about here.

I also like Dior lipsticks and at the other end of the price scale I do like Rimmel and Boots 17 are great as well - in fact one of my fave mascaras is their one. I like Dior powder and Lancome and also Estee lauder but cheaper Corn Silk as well. I usually buy Rimmel or Boots 17 Eye brow pencil - I use it up so quick. I also love the Aqua shimmer pencil from Rimmel. At the other end of the scale I do like YSL touche eclat and their mascara - the Faux lash one. Rimmel hide the blemish cover stick is a fave too.

I am using babyoil with aloe vera at the moment but also love the Cocoa butter stuff by Palmers and of course the Body Shop body butters - mmmm.
Christmas time I always ask for Dove shower and body stuff along with the cocoa butter stuff.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:08 AM   #11  

Ooh! Forgot! Am liking Clinique's eyeshadows and lipsticks a lot- they have got better and better. Like what I have from Urban Decay (a box of shadows and lippies) and am dying to try Mac but must pay more to the dentist first!!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #12  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Something I forgot as well - I use HUGE amounts of Tesco's own brand sensitive body lotion. I used to always use expensive stuff but this Tesco one is just as good and a fraction of the cost.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #13  

I like the Tesco Beauty Wisdom (Bharti Vyas) tinted moisturiser.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #14  

Have any of you "sensitive little flowers" tried the Avene range whcih is at Boots?

Supposed to be good.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Ann
Something I forgot as well - I use HUGE amounts of Tesco's own brand sensitive body lotion. I used to always use expensive stuff but this Tesco one is just as good and a fraction of the cost.
I tried that it dried out my skin something rotten for some reason