UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #1  

Default On the subject of clothes - I need a jacket. Help!

My problem is I get very hot in most jackets. I don't want a fleece or a sheepskin. I don't wear leather jackets. Denim is too heavy.

I want one iwth lapels not a high or funnel neck on and size 18 plus - has anyone seem a lightweight jacket or coat - single breasted that'll do for me? In uk only.

Don't ask for much do I????
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Not much at all! I found one in Primark last year, that's like a cotton-y material. I haven't seen anything this year, sorry.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #3  

Have you looked in Dotty P's? They have some nice light weight trench coats at the moment.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #4  

Thanks both.

I did look online. I think I saw soemthign in Dotty p's but it is hard somethimes to tell online if single or double breasted. I will have a look around at the end of the month (of course by then they won't be around!).

I findit very hard to get a lightweight (hopefully waterproof) jacket that does not make me sweaty like a P.I.G. whenever I wear it.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 74.6/67.5/56 or 165/149/124

Height: 5'5 1/2

I got a nice jacket for £7 in Primark. Good quality and has those breathing holes, so you don't get sweaty. It was in the sportswear section, and is waterproof (tried and tested). They do really nice and classy t-shirts in many colours too (I do grey), with lycra and theyre about £3 each.
San*_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #6  

I must admit I do buy stuff from there. I avoid the stretchy t shirts cos they make me hot and show off my 'rolls' too much. I did have a nice grey sporty zippy jacket but have no idea where it is. That was from there.

I do find that someo fthe stuff comes up small though so that is a problem.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #7  

Hm. I think TK Maxx do all sorts of sizes and Miss Selfridge just started size 16. If any of you owns a sewing machine (I have one about 2000km away...) we could have a sewing night, to make each other wonderful clothes. Sit and design the most flattering and comfortable fabrics and cuts for our bodies. Be nice to meet up for say a healthy veg dinner, walk, go to fabric shop, then do some sewing planned on previously brought sewing magazine models. I'd love a flowy hippy sort of dress You are most welcome to come to mine, but my room is small, and I don't have a sewing machine.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #8  

I have a lovely sewing machine, and no where to put it!!

TKMaxx are great, but in my opinion, extremely frustrating if you know what you want, because their stock is so variable. Great if you have a few quid to spend and don't care what you buy!!!

Miss Selfridge are going to a size 18 now, but I think they are a bit on the small side!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #9  

San.. I am ashamed to say that althogh both my Mum and my Aunt were seamstresses (they worked for the late Hardy Aimies, and funnily enough my Aunt and I walked past his place in Saville Row on Friday!!), I am a crap sewer. I did go to a night school but that was only a few weeks. I have tried doing stuff with both my Mum and my Aunt but it is not really me. Which is a shame as I would love to make my own things.

My Mum does not do so much now as eyesight fading but my Aunt has made some skirts and trousers for me.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:44 PM   #10  

I know how to sew, so if we get a team together I'm sure we can concoct some pretty ace outfits together! My niecie is studying fashion design and my sister sews really well, so I can get some tips together. If you guys are interested I think we should have a sewing meet.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #11  

Debenhams have some good ones in at the moment not sure what size they go up to though.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote