South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:50 AM   #1  
Returning Member

Default Constantly Cold & Tired on the Beach?

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on all your success with the SBD. I've been following SBD for about four months and have lost about 50 lbs. I still have about 100 more to go, but it's been going pretty well so far, although my weight loss has slowed down in the past couple of weeks.

Is anyone else experiencing feelings of extreme cold and fatigue on SBD? My hands and feet in particular are always freezing, and I could easily sleep 10 hours a day. This has been going on for the past couple of months and is only getting worse. I'm still able to exercise, but it's getting more exhausting, not easier.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and he's doing bloodwork, but he also suggested my problem could be from losing weight too fast and my body slowing my metabolism down. He suggested I eat more! Aaack! I know we don't count calories on SBD, but I figure I'm eating around 1600/day, plus I only exercise about 1/2 hour to an hour a day, so it's not like I'm starving. One of the things I like about SBD is that I get to eat every 2-3 hours, and I haven't been hungry!

I've lost weight at about this rate before, on WW, and experienced more energy, not less. I also do not remember feeling this cold. I do remember feeling constantly hungry on WW, which I am not on SBD. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
Kim

Started SBD 1/23/06
305/254/150
Old 05-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #2  
South Beach Life Style

Are you getting plenty of Protein,, I hope everything is okay from your blood work, Man you are losing so well Congratulations..
Old 05-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #3  
Returning Member

Thanks - I do eat protein at every meal and I snack on nuts, so I think I'm getting enough. I do eat more vegetarian protein foods than I used to - I don't know if might have anything to do with it. This whole thing is really weird - I was always the girl who carried around a napkin to wipe off the constant sweat!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #4  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I was that way once when I did Atkins (back when it was popular the first time, in the dark ages). Maybe you're not eating enuff of your good carbs. My dr. at that time said he thought that was the cause, and I did start eating carbs again because it was sooo not worth feeling that way (and it helped). Of course that was the end of atkins for me. Just a thought.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #5  
Returning Member

I eat a whole grain at least twice a day and have at least one fruit a day, so I could probably add another carb or two. I'm just afraid to stop losing weight!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

back Kim! on all your hard work so far!

YES! I definitely have the cold issue and always have since the beginning (almost) of the diet. However, my dear friend who does WW has the same issue. Frances Kuffel, the author of Passing for Thin, a fantastic 'must-read' about her journey losing weight using OA, also says that she and all of the other people who worked with her sponsor all had problems with cold as they lost weight. I have to chuckle about it because, like you said, I always used to sweat profusely, and I would glare evilly at the skinny minnies who would say, "Oh, I'm soooo cold" Well, now I'm one of them!

I have never been able to bear having anything on my feet any longer than I have to. I go barefoot as much as possible and eschew socks always. I actually only owned socks to wear to the gym! I even wore shoes without socks through the snow after moving to upstate NY from CA! Are you getting the point here? Guess what? I now own so many socks they fill two drawers in my dresser, and I spend September to May in socks unless I'm in the shower. This winter I had to wear socks AND slippers!

This has been a constant, even at the beginning, when I was losing, on average, 6 pounds a week. It's the same now, when I haven't lost anything for almost seven months. So I doubt that it's a result of losing weight too quickly. My friend on WW has been maintaining (and even gaining a tiny bit) for the last year and has been freezing the whole time. I'm not sure why it's that way, but it just seems to be true. Frances Kuffel says that she and her cohort from OA stayed cold long after they met their goal...years after. It's just a fact of lost weight, I guess? You might check with the maintainers to see if they experience the same thing.

As to the fatigue, that's another story. I've never been more tired on SBD...in fact, I feel like I finally got my energy back! I have chronic fatigue syndrome and have been pretty much symptom free since a couple months into SBD. It's a new lease on life! I'm so sorry that it's not doing that for you. There could be some reasons, like too much protein, not enough protein, not enough water (being dehydrated makes you VERY tired), not enough iron (if you are eating a lot of veggie protein and nuts, you may not have enough iron and that can be a big problem for women, since we naturally lose iron every month during TOM), or lots of other variables. I wonder, considering the cold and fatigue, if it's not a thyroid thing? I'm really glad you saw a doctor and that he's doing bloodwork. That will help a lot.

It's not a bad idea to up your good carbs a bit. You might see if you can fit in a half serving or even a whole serving of starch (bread, pasta, sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, bulgher, etc.) to help. At the very least, you can add in some small good carbs, like bell pepper, beans, hummus, and tomatoes. That will help. Milk and yogurt (which your body processes as carbs) can help too...and they'll add protein. You might try logging your food into www.fitday.com to check what you're really eating calorie and otherwise. I know how awesome it is to lose so fast at the beginning. I did that too, and I can't say it caused any harmful effects. It eventually slowed down. But, in general, slower is better, especially in terms of keeping it off and reducing loose skin problems. So, even if adding a little more food makes your loss slow slightly, it might be worth it. If you're already full with what you're eating, you might try swapping foods with less volume to make more room in your stomach. For example, a serving of steamed broccoli instead of a 4 cup salad.

Please let us know what your doctor finds out and how you are doing, okay? I hope this works out. In the meantime, I'll pass you the slippers and mittens and we can sit on the beach with our hot cocoa (nothing like hot cocoa and a hot cabana boy to go with it! ).
Old 05-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

P.S. The best thing about SBD (well, one of the best things...) is that you can modify the program to work for you! You can try adding a starch and see if it slows your loss too much or if it helps with your symptoms. You can try it during different times of the day. You can try another fruit. If it does slow your weight loss, you just go back to the way things were and keep going! Don't stress on it, okay? You won't screw things up by playing with your eating plan...I've done it twice and neither time caused any gains that didn't immediately fall off once I went back to my old eating or found the right combo.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:02 AM   #8  
Returning Member

Thanks for the awesome reply, Laurie - it makes me feel better to know I'm not alone, or crazy! Congrats on your loss! I hope to be in the 100s with you someday soon!

I know just what you mean about the skinny minnies - I work with one, and she would always complain about the cold - now I'm the one who turns the heat up in the office!

I probably won't hear from the doctor for about a week, but I'll let you know. Like you said, it's probably just a consequence of the weight loss, so at least it's nothing serious. He is checking my thyroid and iron, so we'll see.

Thanks again for the support!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #9  

I have the same problem with the cold and have since I started losing significant weight. I just bundle up with socks and sweaters and really enjoy it now that the temp is in the 90's. Unfortunately DH still needs to lose a lot so he keeps the house much too cold for me.

I haven't had the problem with fatigue. Like Laurie, I have much more energy that I had before I started SB. Good luck with the test results and congratulations on your loss. I agree that adding some extra carbs is worth a shot. Do you get a wide variety of vegetables? I know it is important to get veggies from all the different colors.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #10  
Returning Member

Thanks for the veggie suggestion - it's easy to get into a rut - I'll have to take another look and try some new things.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #11  

Kimmers - WTG on your weight loss

Even though I haven't lost a large amount of weight (yet), I am starting to have the cold issue too. In the 'swing' monthis (April, May, Sept., and Oct.) I never used to wear a jacket, even if it was forty outside. Now I feel like I want to put on my winter coat when it's 40! And I used to wear boxers and a T-shirt to bed, even in the winter. Last night I wore yoga pants and a long sleeve t-shirt and still woke up cold!

But I guess in the end...I'd rather be cold than overweight and unhealthy. If being cold all the time is the worse thing that comes from this weight loss, that will be fine
Old 05-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Your body thermostat will eventually adjust so not to worry.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:14 AM   #13  
Miss_Smarty_Pants

S/C/G: 160/150/130

The I first time I went on SBD, I was amazed at how much energy I gained after the first 2 weeks. Maybe it's the food you're eating. I found that I couldn't really add in ceratin foods (i.e. rice) in large portions or I would feel a tad bit sluggish/have a slower wt. loss rate.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #14  
Returning Member

Thanks, everybody for the support and ideas. Most of my bloodwork has come back normal, which is good. I'm still waiting for a few additional results, but it looks like this is all just a side effect of losing weight. Maybe now that summer is finally coming to the great white north, things will get better.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 167/155/140

Height: 5'5"

Kimmers, I am new to the Beach (day 4 Phase One) and I am not cold, But having even more Hot Flashes! But I am really tired too. I thought maybe it was me. Congrats on your loss so far! YEAH!!! Blessings~Linder
Closed Thread