South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 03:26 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lightbulb Water vs. Coke (unverified)

I checked this out at Snopes (www.snopes.com) but they haven't posted it yet, so I can't be sure that this information is correct. Nonetheless, it's intriguing. What do you think?
L

Quote:
WATER

#1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely applies to half the world population.)

#2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is mistaken for hunger.

#3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as 3%.

#4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

#5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

#6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

#7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

#8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%., and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should drink every day?

COKE

#1. In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from
the highway after a car accident.

#2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days.

#3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

#4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

#5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

#6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

#7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

#8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into the load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

#1. the active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.

#2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup! (the concentrate) the commercial trucks must use a hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

#3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean engines of the trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water?

or Coke?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/177/145

Laurie....interesting!! I'm sending the coke info to my brother. he's an addict.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:08 AM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Wow! Let us know what Snopes says about it. I do believe that we confuse thirst for hunger. At least I did. The TV show Mythbusters on TLC did a series of experiments using Coke. It worked okay for cleaning up blood (but so did water and it's much cheaper) and for cleaning the toilets. If also worked better than commercial cleaners for shining chrome on automobiles.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Interesting and informative reading, thanks for passing it on, Laurie.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Bless Ruth, she found the coke part on Snopes (I missed it because the title was about Coke being like acid...I was looking for "Coke and Water"...):

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Another friend sent me the link for the water...though I have to say that I think they addressed more the question "Should I drink 8 glasses of water a day?" than checking out the specific claims in the e-mail. I've heard the "drink when you're thirsty" thing before...but what if it's true about our inability to notice thirst? We've talked in here before about thinking that we're hungry but finding, after drinking some water, that the feeling goes away. We were actually thirsty! Personally, I feel thirsty all the time, so I'm sticking with my water.

I do believe I've heard that, over time, drinking any kind of soda often will result in calcium loss. They didn't address that part in the Snopes article.

Either way, we know that it's better to drink water than soda...not that I don't enjoy a diet coke now and then!
Closed Thread