View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #16
dalai_lala
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

Default Dalai_lala profile

First name (if you want to tell): Lala to my friends, at least
Meaning of user name: Okay, here goes.... Aunt Lala was my nickname from my godson and eventually my friends picked it up too. A few years down the road, many of us were moving some heavy furniture and I was passing dollies to people as they needed them - and someone said the magic words: "Pass me another dolly, Lala." To which I replied (mind you, this was at something like 3 am!) "I am the Dalai Lala!" It stuck.
Geographical location: near Orlando, Florida
Marital Status: married since 1999
Children/Ages: None
Height: 5'4"
Eye/Hair Color: brown/greenish
Occupation: part-time college student, part time data entry clerk
Pets: Four cats; boys -Brodie, Magellan, and Stoli (mostly tabby w/some Russian Blue); girl - Demeter (tortie). Oh, and several fishies.

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: January 1st, 2006 (or, 1980-ish, if you count that!)
Starting Weight/Present/Goal Weight: 290-something was my highest; 275/255/??
Problem: Binge eating/compulsive overeating and loads of emotional baggage
Plan/Way of Eating: Portion control, better choices, limited desserts
Favorite exercise: Stretching and basic resistance stuff, walking. I also use an elliptical, but I can't say it's a favorite!

Hobbies/Interests: Reading, writing, dieting, The Sims, Star Wars, geeky conventions, medieval fairs, webcomics, music, Katamari Damaci, space travel, skepticism, watching my cats sleep.
Favorite movies: Star Wars original trilogy, Practical Magic, Sabrina (either version), Chasing Amy, The Life Aquatic, Garden State, The Princess Bride, Lost In Translation, Lord of the RIngs Trilogy
Favorite TV: FarScape, Firefly, 24, Lost, The Daily Show, How I Met Your Mother, Full Metal Alchemist, CSI
Favorite books/plays: Lord of the Rings/Hobbit (Tolkein), Harry Potter series (Rowling), Dragonriders of Pern series (McCaffrey), Brave New World (Huxley), Animal Farm (Orwell), Firestarter (King), Nightfall (Asimov)... many more...
Music: I like bits and pieces of almost everything, but I chiefly listen to rock/alternative/punk these days, plus, of course, 70's/80's and "that funky music."

Favorite Quote(s): "If you do what you did you get what you got." (not sure, heard it here somewhere)
"With the time I waste on the life I never had/I could have turned myself into a better man." (Toad the Wet Sprocket)
Favorite People (dead and living): my beloved
People I can’t stand: politicians (on both sides), the SSW girlies

Places you’ve been: Mostly only East Coast/Southern USA states for family or business trips - Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina, Virginia, then on to family in West Virginia and Ohio. New Orleans - once, on a business trip; didn't get to see much more than Bourbon Street, where the hotel was, 'cos my traveling co-worker was freaked out (idiot - the very first thing she gets to eat in frickin' New Orleans is a cheeseburger!)
Places you want to visit: Anywhere but here.... sigh... Europe, Japan, Australia, other (read non-Southern) parts of the US

Pivot’s questions (don’t think too long, answer as fast as you can)
01. What is your favorite word? geek
02. What is your least favorite word? can't think of one - they're just words, they only hold what power you give them
03. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? curiosity
04. What turns you off? lack of curiosity - narrow/small/closed mind
05. What is your favorite curse word? the F word - well, the original one and Frelled as well
06. What sound or noise do you love? my hubby's voice when it gets that deep husky tone at certain times
07. What sound or noise do you hate? telephone ringing
08. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? writing
09. What profession would you not like to do? septic tank cleaner
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? In His best Nelson Muntz impersonation: "HA-haaa!" ('Cos if there is a God, in that Christian sense of the concept, I hope He likes the Simpsons...)

Other tidbits you would like to share: I don't collect teapots, but I have almost a dozen of them. And I can't swim.

-Lala

PS: On the topic of "dirty" words - " ...words that seem entirely harmless now were once capable of exciting considerable passion. In 16th century England, zooterkins was a pretty lively word. In 19th century England, puppy and cad were highly risque." - The Mother Tongue, author Bill Bryson

Last edited by dalai_lala : 05-27-2006 at 09:35 AM.
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote