Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #1  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Default First day at the gym... Suggestions?

I just started working at the local YMCA, and with my new job I get a free membership! (What a great perk!!) So tomorrow I am going to start working out!

Now, I know how everything works because I've joined gyms before! (I'm notorious for signing up, paying six months in advance and then never going back...)Everytime I've joined a gym I've done the orientation where they tell you how to work all the machines and even give you a routine. But I really want to do this now!

So my question is what does/did your workout looklike when you first started? How many days? How long? What machines/exercises/weights?

Thank you in advance
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #2  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Day 1- warm up for 5 min, stretch, seated leg press, leg extention, leg curl, adductor, abductor. cardio for 30 min, stretch.

day2- 60 min cardio, sit ups and push ups

Day 3- warm up, stretch, chest press, pecfly, seated dip, arm curl, cardio 30 min. stretch

Day 4- 60 min of cardio and stretch, sit ups and push ups

Day 5-warm up, stretch, shoulder press, lat pulldown, seated row, low back extention, cardio 30 min, stretch

swim at least 5 laps every day. week 1 do 1 set of 12 reps, week 2 do 2 sets of 12 reps, week 3 do 3 sets of 12 reps, etc.. for 6 weeks then bump up the weight on week 7 and start over again.

This was my routine set up by my trainer and it was working really well until I blew out my knee on our trampoline. Now I just do as much cardio as my knee will allow, the swimming, and the upper body along with my physical therapy that is mostly stretches and leg lifts.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 AM   #3  

Congrats!!! I go to the YWCA and I normally work out on the elliptical machine for 30 minutes and 30 minutes on the treadmill. I am planning on participating in water aerobics. Good Luck!
fost40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #4  
Run Forest Run!

Ask for an induction with one of the trainers and they should be able to set you a programme based on your current fitness level and your goals
bone idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #5