UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #1  

Default New Runners on 'Your' Regular Runs/Jogs?

If you run around one place after a while you start to recognise the 'regulars'. After the marathon, it seems we've suddenly got a couple of new runners but I'm wondering how long they'll last. Do you notice new people running where you do, and do you notice their running styles, etc?

I live in the middle of nowhere. No pavements and, if I want to run straight from out my own house without driving to a village or town first, I only have one real choice of route. It's a circuit, and 2.5 miles exactly. Again, as we live in the middle of nowhere, we tend to notice if anyone goes past our house on foot - as it's so rare.

I started running last summer. Previous to that I was a keen dog walker anyway and noticed that no-one else walked or ran 'my' circuit. Very rare to even see another dog walker, either. Anyway, in the past year there's been me - this particular cyclist I see a lot - a certain woman who rides her horses - and more recently, a very fit looking woman, early 20s, who looks like a really competent runner and I since read in the paper, ran the marathon t'other week. In the past week or so - since the marathon and probably inspired by it - I've seen a new pair of runners on our circuit, think I've seen them three times already, which in itself is something.

What interests me is this. They both look unfit, although going at a fair pace. The man runs slightly ahead of the woman. Every time I pass them, she looks about to die. Really like she shouldn't be running. She's really obviously a beginner (I think he is too - looking at their running styles, the fact they look unfit, don't have the sort of running clothes other runners have, and - I noticed last time - the woman is running in trainers, not proper running shoes.) Each time I've seen them he's been setting this unrealistic pace (not that he's going very fast but he's always precisely the same distance ahead of her, and she really looks like she'd be better off doing interval training to start off with - but there's no sign of them ever walking). The last time I passed them, she looked like she was about to expire. What worries me is he seems to be bullying her. He's not a trainer - obviously the hubby as he looks like he'd be mroe at home with a few cans of lager in front of the telly... Setting a pace she can't keep up with, and just has this really nasty, bullying air about him. He has the proper running shoes, she doesn't, so she must be in agony.

Obviously there's nowt I can do, but I so want to trip this man up, every time he runs past! Do you notice the 'new' runners that pop up where you run? Do you find yourself noticing their running style and whether they have good running shoes, or not? And how fast they're going?

Interestingly, the really competent looking runner I see, plus the horse lady always say hello and don't seem threatened when they pass me, but these new people avoid all eye contact and don't even say 'hello'.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:50 AM   #2  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I get to see quite a variety of people. It seems that I started a bit of a trend in this village. I did have a late middleaged couple who get all togged up in fitness outfits and puff and blow their way around a sort of 2.25 mile circular walk. They didn't used to look at me or say anything until one day when my Fred decided he preferred to walk with them than walk with me! (They must have had sweets in their pockets.) When I finally got Fred on a lead I asked them how they are getting on and they were glad to talk - turned out they had watched me getting slimmer and fitter and decided that if I (the Blob) could do it then so could they!

They're sticking at it (good on 'em) - they've got their 2.25 miles walk reduced from over an hour down to 45 mins now.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #3  

What gets me Sarah is they neither of them look like they're enjoying it! The woman in particular looks ready to drop at whatever point I've seen her. The bloke isn't that much better a runner, but is always determined to be ahead of her and he also looks like he's not having fun.

I forgot there's also a bloke runner - again, from his style and his obvious fitness you can see he's been running a while and his speed is pretty phenomenal. He looks like he's enjoying it, though as does the young lass!

My dog (who runs with me) usually breaks the ice with people as he's a very cute staffie - makes most people light up just to see him - but these two grim creatures just glare, and slog on. (That's my other dog in the avatar - she doesn't do running, she's too much of a lady!)
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:56 AM   #4  
Consistency + Balance

Maybe they are the sort who think that exercise should be endured rather than enjoyed. I think that curiosity would get the better of me and I'd have to try to start a conversation with them to find out why they are so miserable.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #5  

Yeah I always notice people on my route.

Anyway as for your girl running does she ever stop because if she ever does it might be a good idea for you to have a quick chat and then if you get to know her build up to mentioning running shoes. Because I'm a looney I didn't realise for ages the difference shoes can make and it is huge it took me for ages to get some really comfy shoes to run in. If she doesn't enjoy it she'll never stick to it will she.
I run at home sometimes theres a kind of circuit round my village and its about 4 miles or so in all and I always run past this really fit running guy who makes me feel really bad about my huffing and puffing.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #6  
Consistency + Balance

He can't be all that fit if you're running past him! On the other hand, maybe he goes slow so that you go past and he can look at your

Yes, I always notice people as well - there are usually so few people around here who walk that we generally all say hello. I know what you mean about inappropriate footwear/clothing - we have a regular dog walker who walks across the Moors (in the summer) in flipflops - not such a great idea when theres adders about!
Old 05-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #7  

nah he normally comes from the other direction which is why he runs past me we cross each other. You can run right round our village I run from one end and he seems to come from the other side I think he might live in the next village. As for checking me out I think its me checking out his very nice *** lol.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #8  
Heather/Caterpillar

I notice when there are new swimmers or at aquafit...this one girl showed up a few weeks ago to aquafit in one of those triangle stringy bikini things....you can guess what happened!
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote