Old 05-05-2006, 03:52 AM   #1  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Red face Dr. Oz's "90-Day Live Longer, Feel Younger Plan"

Did anybody see when this was on Oprah? It was on the beginning of the week or maybe even last week. I've been ill so haven't gotten a chance to get online much til now.
I didn't see the entire show, just the last part. But saw the part where you are supposed to "look out" for 5 "key ingredients" and if you see these in a food item, to "run, not walk away".
The "key ingredients" are:
1) Sugar
2) High fructose corn syrup
3) Enriched wheat flour (white flour)
4) Saturated fat
5) Hydrogenated oil

This is all listed at Oprah's site. http://www2.oprah.com/index.jhtml

But I have a question. As I stated above I have been ill. I had some tomato soup while ill. I noticed Tomato Soup has two of these five ingredients, #2 and #3. I always thought "soup was good for you". So now I can't have my tomato soup?????? Not that I eat it everyday or nothing but it's about the only soup I like except for French Onion and I would hate to see the ingredient list on that one! lol.

Anywho, I thought this would be a good discussion.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, opinons, all welcome!

Sassy
"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be." David Viscott

Last edited by Sassy_Chick; 09-18-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #2  
it's always something

I didn't see it, but I checked the site and it sounds like a great way to improve your health

Soup usually is good for you, lol, but it all depends on if it is fresh or highly processed, and what all is in it. Canned soup may have a better chance of being on the 'less good' side, depending on the style.

I would suggest trying different brands or styles of tomato soup. If you are eating something like Campbell's Condensed soup, it's not going to be as good for you as other types since it's more highly processed. Read the labels because one brand may contain more items from the list than others.

You could also try making it from scratch
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:38 AM   #3  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I saw that episode, Lady! Quite interesting!

I've been much more of a label reader since January, and have begun trying to reduce the number of products containing the items on that list. Can't say I've totally eliminated them (and don't think I really want to), but I've certainly cut back.

The vast majority of the items I buy nowadays don't have any of those items. Occasionally, I get an item that has 1. Rarely do I buy items with 2 or more. I'd say, if 80% of my grocery cart contains items that are 20% or less, I'm doin' good!

Interesting note, yesterday I looked up the nutritional values on Special K, because I wanted to write a reply to a post (on a different section of the 3FC boards) about the "Special K" diet challenge. Did you know that the 3rd item on Special K's list is Sugar and the 5th ingredient is High Fructose Corn Syrup? And they're asking me to make that 2 of my 3 meals for the day???
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #4  
~Believe~

Hey Ladies.

Thanks for your replies. Yeah I guess I need to investigate further when shopping! Amazing how many things have those ingredients! But it does make it easier, at least for me. If I see any of those ingredients, then I know, that is a *NO* *NO*. I thought it just made it a lot easier, at least for me it did.

Very interesting indeed.

*FLADY*
Old 05-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I get the Cambell's Healthy Request tomato soup. It only has the corn syrup from the list. The other soups are the lower calorie/sodium versions of Healthy Choice, but even those contain sugar...albeit far down on the list.

I figure I can either eat everything exactly right, possibly live much longer, and be miserable as heck. Or...I can eat sensibly, and if I get a little sugar or corn syrup, I've learned to live a little. What's a few years longer if I don't enjoy the years until then?
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #6  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

S/C/G: 480/480/380

Height: 5'5"

hay about the soup, you can get the soup organic, and its does not have all the bad stuff, try amys organic soup or try pacific organic soup, they have excellent french onion, and it comes in cartons like the soy milk its awesome!!!
Safiyah_is_Fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #7  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

S/C/G: 480/480/380

Height: 5'5"

just a fyi, I have been watching for these things for the past 3 years, just look at the margarine spreads in the supermarket, i guarantee you will find only 1 or 2 un hydrogenated, hydrogenated are the ones you will be best to avoid, they cause heart disease and it is in everything, and i mean everything....read carefully
Safiyah_is_Fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:41 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I make my own soup and freeze it... I read labels very closely now too....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Yes, and if look at the ingredient list on many low-fat or fat-free foods, you will find that many are loaded with sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup. I choose to eat full fat dressings instead of eating all of that sugar.

High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is cheap and is used as a filler in many of the processed foods on grocery store shelves. I don't think it is any coincidence that HFCS started being used about the same time so many Americans started becoming obese.

I've got Dr. Oz's book "You the Owner's Manual", somewhere around the house, and he has one really good passage about the addictive-ness and the cravings caused by HFCS. If I can put my hands on it, I'll post it later.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:04 AM   #10  
~Believe~

Hey all,
Thanks again for all the great advice and suggestions! Yes my nutrionist told me that she would prefer me eating a little of the regular stuff than any of the low fat/low cal stuff.
I'm going to be reading labels!

Thanks Ladies!

*Flady*
Old 05-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

I eat the "real" stuff all the time now,I was NEVER able to find a NF salad dressing that was palatable and I can't stand milk or worse skim milk in my coffee so I use cream... and I still lost weight...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #12  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
and I can't stand milk or worse skim milk in my coffee so I use cream...
I am soooooooo with you there, Ilene! Don't get me wrong, I love my coffee (the real stuff, none of that froo-froo flavored nonsense ), but I'd rather do without altogether than suffer through a cup with milk. Yuck.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #13  
~Believe~

I think its better to have a bit of the "real" stuff than alot of that LF or NS stuff. Yuck.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #14  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less of Lena
the real stuff, none of that froo-froo flavored nonsense ), but I'd rather do without altogether than suffer through a cup with milk. Yuck.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHA "froo-froo flavored nonsense"
you killed me.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #15  
Running Wild

i actually tivo'd the whole 'You' show off of Discovery Health last night, but havent had the chance to watch it yet...

at the grocer on saturday, i had to eliminate alot of other things i THOUGHT were actually ok just from watching what i did see on the oprah show last week...that woman looked AMAZING after only 90 days!!!!!!!!!!
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote