Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/*Ticker*/150

Height: 5'6

Default Is tuna with mayonaise bad?

Hey ladies, ive been doing the calorie counting since April 26th and ive lost 2lbs. More so i feel it in my clothes and my waistline. The only thing is ive been using the fitday journal and i dont seem to be eating enough. i feel like ive been eating alot but on an average day im around 1000 if that. Whats going on here.

I also wanted to know if tuna is a bad choice for a meal? Maybe on a whole wheat bread or with crackers. Im looking for some new ideas for lunch. I like eating smaller dinners but the lunch is where i eat the most. Also ive been eating alot of fruit. Is too much fruit bad for you?? Please help ladies.
Thanks
WillPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Tuna is an EXCELLENT idea! It's low in fat, high in protein, plus it has those pesky Omegas that can only be found in very few foods. Tuna ROCKS! IF you're worried about the recent hype of mercury being found in fish, then stick to actual tuna instead of albacore, since albacore has higher mercury levels.

Perhaps you could try a low-fat or even fat-free mayonnaise? Or I even have been trying things other than just mayo with my tuna--honey mustard, relish, thousand island dressing, sour cream, etc. (not all at once, but in varying amounts and combinations).

And you're right--1000 calories is very low. If you had been eating way more than that before, then it may be quite a shock to your body to only be taking in 1000 now. You should only have to cut your daily calories by about 500 each day from however many you were eating to maintain your higher weight in order to lose. If you're not really hungry enough to eat more, then maybe you can incorporate some healthy calorie-dense foods (like nuts--they're great for you health-wise and pack a punch with calories).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

I eat tuna at least twice a week. I always add a little bit of Hellmann's light mayo. It boosts my protein up considerably - and it's good! I think tuna is a great meal... it leaves you feeling satisfied.

Also, fruit is GREAT for you. In my own opinion I don't think you can eat too much fruit.
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Low fat mayo for me too.
If you're averaging 1000 cals a day you can easily have fruit, a few nuts, maybe you don't even need to worry about the mayo.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/*Ticker*/150

Height: 5'6

Thanks ladies. I definitely will be having tuna for lunch today. And like you said SusanB i can always add more fruit to my diet since im under calories which will be easy cuz i love it. Thanks for the ideas
WillPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #6  
the blond one

S/C/G: 198/126.4/121

Height: 5' 1.5"

For lunch I love 1 La Tortilla (50 calories) with Oscar Mayo Oven Roasted Turkey (50 calories) and sliced tomatos, green peppers, and onions. I top this with Red Wine Vinegar and a little mustard with some salt and pepper and it's so good for about 120 calories! I stole the idea from subways turkey wrap which has 190 calories. Sometimes I add lettuce (but it browns to quickly in the fridge) or a 1/2 wedge of laughing cow cheese (20 calories). I normally eat this with green beans, squash, broccoli, or asparagus and sometimes apple slices or strawberries.
start8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #7  
elizabeth

S/C/G: 285

hiya..
my two cents. Eat the tuna with the mayo but without the bread at all. Also you7 may be only eating 1000 calories a day but it depends on what your eating. if your having trouble moving the numbers on the scale in your favour. Try eliminating breads they are horrible in my opinion and some people don't metabolize carbs as well as others. i am no exception. And drink tons of water but watch the sodium content in your water. I aim for 5mg max per 250ml
reverie1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #8  
Journey To The Thin Me

S/C/G: 252/234/140

Height: 5'4

I love tuna. I just read about this new product by Best Foods (aka Hellmann's). It mixes the the richness of mayo with the tang of mustard, for the perfect condiment concoction. Somehow they manage to infuse mustard with what seems like creamy mayo, only without all the nasty fat & calories.

Here are the nutritional info on it. I am going to be looking for it at my next trip to the grocery store.

Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
Calories: 15
Fat: <1g
Sodium: 210mg
Carbs: 3g
Fiber: 0g
Sugar: 0g
Protein: 0g

* 0 Points
AnnieFannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #9  
Mom to an active 1 yr old

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'8

I love tuna and I eat it a couple times during the week.

This is how I eat it:

Light tuna
light Miracle whip
Sara lee delightful whole wheat bread
and a little bit of pickle relish!!

Yum, I might have to make me a tuna sandwhich for lunch
Alaynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
Tuna is an EXCELLENT idea! It's low in fat, high in protein, plus it has those pesky Omegas that can only be found in very few foods. Tuna ROCKS! IF you're worried about the recent hype of mercury being found in fish, then stick to actual tuna instead of albacore, since albacore has higher mercury levels.
Albacore IS actual tuna. It is just another kind of tuna, like bluefin, yellowfin, and skipjack are all different kinds of tuna (these three are labeled as "light" tuna, whereas only albacore can be labeled "white" tuna) It does have slightly higher mercury content, but it is also higher in Omega-3's (over 3x that of "light" tuna).
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #11  
hara hachi bu

Default Yum, Tuna

I make my tuna with yogurt (or even a yogurt/mayo mix) instead of straight mayonnaise.

Sometimes I make a tuna/vegetable/pasta salad and don't even put mayo in, just eat it plain or with seasoning.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TiredGradStudent
Albacore IS actual tuna. It is just another kind of tuna, like bluefin, yellowfin, and skipjack are all different kinds of tuna (these three are labeled as "light" tuna, whereas only albacore can be labeled "white" tuna) It does have slightly higher mercury content, but it is also higher in Omega-3's (over 3x that of "light" tuna).
I know it's still tuna--otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned it in the thead about tuna, but the can usually says either just "tuna" or says "albacore" with tuna in smaller letters. Unfortunately, Omega-3's don't cancel out the mercury, and albacore has the highest mercury content of the tunas (from what I've heard and read, anyway), so I was just pointing out that if it was something she was worried about (I know they made it sound like the end of the world on a news report here last night), then she should avoid albacore tuna. Personally, I don't think it makes a difference at all, but if it's something I'm going to eat everyday and/or I may become pregnant, I would be worried a little more about it. So sorry if my inclusion of the word "actual" caused any confusion
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #13  
Journey To The Thin Me

S/C/G: 252/234/140

Height: 5'4

I have tried the albacore tuna and I personally don't care for it all that well. Thanks for the info on it. I didn't know that it had higher levels of mercury in it vs regular tuna. I am personally going to stick with plain old tuna.
AnnieFannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:55 PM   #14  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Anyone tried the flavored Starkist tuna in a pouch? Yummmmy!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #15  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

MMMmmmm TUNA with light mayo (just a bit to moisten it), onion powder, chopped onion, a bit of salt, and walnuts on high fiber, whole grain bread (only one piece) --- YUMMY!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote