Old 05-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #1  
LLV

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Avocado

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Yum!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #2  
I restore Teeth.

i used to buy them and place 1 tablespoon mashed on a flour tortilla with a smidgen of tomato sauce and a dash of cheese.... I stopped because those were just really addictive!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #3  

i love avocado with prawns...and the pink sauce (maio+ketchup and worchester sauce...)but it's so fatty...
and sadly prawns have a lot of colesterol...
pavellina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavellina
i love avocado with prawns...and the pink sauce (maio+ketchup and worchester sauce...)but it's so fatty...
and sadly prawns have a lot of colesterol...
Yes, but they're very low in fat. Saturated fat is what affects cholesterol levels, moreso than cholesterol found in the food itself.

Read this "shrimpy" article

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=107
Old 05-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I just had some avocado chopped up in my salad for lunch. Yummy. I love them, and it's a tasty way to get some "good" fat in your diet. I also like to mash them with salsa for a spread or dip. As long as it's veggies you're dipping it's a great snack.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #6  
LLV

I made myself a good 'guacamole' once by mixing mashed avocado and fat-free cottage cheese together and added in some chopped tomato and a few spices to taste. It sounds gross but it was really good
Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #7  
with my mind on my monkey

I spread mashed avocado on my sandwiches (turkey or turkey bacon with lettuce and tomato). And because I'm really naughty, I melt cheddar cheese on it!

Of course in addition to enhancing all things Mexican, avocado is also really good on eggs. I've even heard of avocado milkshakes (which I'm not daring enough to try!)
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #8  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Sometimes I think avocado season is the only thing that keeps me in crazy Southern California. There’s even an annual avocado festival in Carpentaria that I went to last year, they had avocado everything including ice cream! I love them, but I have to limit myself to 2 when I visit the farmers market every week because they are so high in calories. I like them in my salads, on sandwiches, and I make the best guacamole, just sayin’.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #9  
Hoping for Healthy

Wow, I'd want to go to an avocado festival. I simply love avocados! Sometimes I'm afraid of their fat level, but I remind myself (and it's not hard to, haha) that they're good fats.
teatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #10  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Do Avacados really have any flavor on their own??? I've had them before and find them rather bland tasting, not much to them....
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:30 AM   #11  

now i want avocado for lunch!

unluckly they're not really really common here, they're a sort of "gourmet food"and cost quite a lot...
i buy one every now and then...
pavellina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Mickey
Do Avacados really have any flavor on their own??? I've had them before and find them rather bland tasting, not much to them....
I personally think it's an acquired taste. Even though it may be bland to some people, others can't stand the flavor.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #13  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

I love guacamole!! It's one of my favorite things....I have no clue how to make it though! I just get it when I'm at a resturaunt or something...I never used to like it. Hmmm... What do you do to keep the avacados from turning brown? That's just icky! I may have to try one sometime...just to see if I like it or not. Maybe eating it WITH something else, or on a sandwich or something, will be better, last time I ate it by itself...it was kind of nasty....
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #14  

Default Anti-brown Guacamole

Most recipes call for lemon or lime juice. The acidity in that keeps them from turning brown much like lemon juice over apples keeps them from turning brown as quickly as well. It just slows the rate of oxidation.

Hope that helps. I've made guacamole before as well as salsa and pico de gallo and it's not terribly difficult. there are a lot of good "starter" recipes out there that you can adjust to your own tastes. (Some people like tomatoes in their guac, some dont, etc)

I'm going to be making some tonight for Cinco De Mayo!!

edit: I JUST remembered... in Kindergarten we once had to bring in a food beginning with A. My mother convinced me everyone else would bring apples, so she forced me to bring an avocado. I remember everyone saying how weird and disgusting it was. I wanted to hide. Hehe.. thought it was an amusing story
teckeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Of course in addition to enhancing all things Mexican, avocado is also really good on eggs. I've even heard of avocado milkshakes (which I'm not daring enough to try!)

Avocados are very good in omelets - along with some mild cheese (ricotta is good) or mushrooms and onions. A friend once made some avocado ice cream which really didn't appeal to me - much as I like them, somehow they don't belong in ice cream.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote