Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/192/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Young and funky workout clothes

Well, since I'm new I might as well get all my questions out. Does anyone have a good source for young funky workout clothes? I see women at my gym (smaller women, i must add) wearing things like funky nylon cargo pants and fun strappy tops. When I ask where they come from and I check the sizes available they are all too small (I'm roughly an 18 for pants at present).

I've checked all the usual plus size sites but their workout clothes are all just the basics and I have basics coming out my ears!

Now that I've begun exercising in earnest I've passed the feeling of wanting to remain inconspicuous at the gym and I'm getting ready to show off a bit!

TIA!

-Margaret
harrypotterybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Hi Margarat!

Not sure exactly what you mean by "young and funky" but you might want to check Target. I was just looking at their new workout clothes yesterday and they have some pretty cute stuff. I believe I saw nylon cargo-style pants and there were a lot of cute, brightly-colored tanks and bras. For some styles, I saw the sizes go up to XL (maybe XXL??), but I'm not sure what that translates to in numbers.

Good luck!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

target is probably the best bet. they also are MUCH cheaper than other brand names, and usually are of decent quality. you also might want to check for new clothes on ebay (but unless i am familiar with the brand, i usually need to try it on first).
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #4  

*sigh* I spent over an hour at Target today trying on all the cute workout wear and nothing fit! Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! It won't be too long (I hope) before I can fit into all their clothes!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #5  

Did you go to a regular target, or a Super Target? My SuperTarget has the 'skinny stuff', and a FABULOUS plus-size department with really cute workout clothes. I went across town to my 'regular' Target, and their choices were quite limited.
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me
Did you go to a regular target, or a Super Target? My SuperTarget has the 'skinny stuff', and a FABULOUS plus-size department with really cute workout clothes. I went across town to my 'regular' Target, and their choices were quite limited.
I tried both our Super Targets and no luck. The Target where I used to live had a really nice seperate plus athletic section, but here it's all lumped together. I just have to keep searching or be creative and break out my sewing machine!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 174/148/138

Height: 5' 9"

I'm so glad I do a lot of my exercise at home, it means I can get away with old PJ bottoms and far too large t-shirts
Moo :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #8  

In the UK we have TKMaxx which is the same as TJMaxx as far as I'm aware (the websites are identical anyway) I have had luck getting really cool workout clothes there. You really have to chance it, and be in the mood to dig around and accept there may not be anything there.

Cute, plus size exercise wear is a real challenge. What I do is buy black leggings, then go mad with the tops. Now I do dance classes and body combat I want to look a bit trendier than normal!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #9  

Ok, I know some of these have been mentioned before, but I'm going to say them again" Target, Wal-mart and Old Navy. I just bought a cute shirt from Old Navy...almost too cute and sexy...think I may have to take it back! Old Navy includes sizes up to XXL and I know in some places they have a plus size section that includes "W."
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universityprincess
Ok, I know some of these have been mentioned before, but I'm going to say them again" Target, Wal-mart and Old Navy. I just bought a cute shirt from Old Navy...almost too cute and sexy...think I may have to take it back! Old Navy includes sizes up to XXL and I know in some places they have a plus size section that includes "W."
I haven't been to Old Navy in years! There wasn't one where I used to live so I'd forgotten about them. I think we have two here. Here's hoping there's a plus section!
Old 05-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #11  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Do you have a Costco near you that you can shop at?

The one here in my town (in Canada, but I think they are all pretty close) they have 'yoga' pants and tops. When I started at 215 about a size 18/20 pants I fit the XL they are really strechy so I squeezed into them. They still fit now but not nearly as tight, haha. The top is a bit on the tight size... I normally wear an XL top. It could be a bit bigger tho. Might want to check that tho. I got all my stuff there and its CHEAP!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
Do you have a Costco near you that you can shop at?

The one here in my town (in Canada, but I think they are all pretty close) they have 'yoga' pants and tops. When I started at 215 about a size 18/20 pants I fit the XL they are really strechy so I squeezed into them. They still fit now but not nearly as tight, haha. The top is a bit on the tight size... I normally wear an XL top. It could be a bit bigger tho. Might want to check that tho. I got all my stuff there and its CHEAP!
I just signed up for Costco yesterday! (they have Propel by the case). I was going to go tomorrow to pick up some staples, but now I'll have to cruise the clothes! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #13  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Another thing to check out - I bought two little kitss their. One is a Stability Ball Work Out (comes with dvd, book, and ball) and the other is a Pilates Work Out (dvd, book, and mat). The ball one was in a blue box and the Pilates in purple. They were 15$ (canadian) a set and they are great! Especially the ball! I just tried the pilates for the first time tonight and didnt feel like I got as good of a work out but some good toneing.

I hope your costco down there has the same stuff! It is great!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote