Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-29-2006, 02:07 AM   #1  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Can I ask a question? When and what made you decide to go ahead with the surgery? That is where I'm at now. I'm on the "fence" and trying to decide. I thought about serisously trying to lose weight, by myself for 6 mos and see how it goes and if I don't see a big difference, then I am thinking about considering the surgery.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions are very much appreciated!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

surprise fatt lady!!! i didn't want your question to get lost, so i moved it to its very own thread so people can see it.

for me, i fought the decision for a couple of years, and looking back on it, that was a BIG mistake. i ended up weighing 500 pounds, unable to walk or stand without assistance, and on oxygen. i was NOT a candidate for the lapband, even though it made a lot of sense to me. the reason: i was too desperately ill to wait for the slower weight loss. i needed to lose a lot immediately.

no regrets. gotta tell you, though, i wish with my whole heart and soul that one day the surgery will not be necessary. but until medicine figures out something else to help us all, it'll be around.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:42 AM   #3  
~Believe~

Talking Hi Jiffy

Hi Jiffy and I appreciate you moving my post, I just never thought about starting a new thread.....lol
Thanks for your advice. I have a drs appt. on Monday to discuss my weight loss plans. I plan on seriously trying for 6 mos. and seeing what happens and if nothing major happens, then I am considering the weightloss surgery.
So the lapband is slower to lose weight than the other ways?
Thanks so much!
Fatt_Lady
Old 04-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 277/221/150

The lapband is slower weight loss but the doctor will help you decide which one is best. I recieved my band an April 18th this year and I have lost 19 pounds so far and that was quicker than I expected. But I will tell you that once you get either surgery you are on a diet and I wish someone would have told me that it is not as easy as It sounds one the paper they give you. Personally so far it is still worth I just wanted to give you the heads up though. Good Luck!!
Lauderdalechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Most people have surgery out of true exhaustion. Failing diet after diet, year after year, only to get bigger and bigger, feeling so hopeless, helpless and depressed.....kinda like at the end of their rope. Surgery is a gleam of light for them, one last (if you will) chance at life again.

When your ready for surgery...... you'll know it.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:10 AM   #6  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I've considered it for a while now. I've gone back and forth on it because it's such a huge decision to make. I think I'm finally ready to admit that I need that extra help, because I'm not doing it on my own. The last year, I have focused on living healthier. At least 7 of those months, I was completely on plan in terms of diet, and I got enough exercise in to lose weight. I'd lost down to 295 and I thought I'd gotten through the worst of it because it has been a complete lifestyle change and it is just normal for me now. And then in the last 2 months, I started gaining again, and I've gained fairly rapidly. My health is better (no more bp meds, no more cholesterol meds, and no insulin), but for how long? I'm now back up to 330-335, after working so hard to get rid of the weight. So.. rather than let it get worse, I'm making the decision to do something about it now.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie
Most people have surgery out of true exhaustion. Failing diet after diet, year after year, only to get bigger and bigger, feeling so hopeless, helpless and depressed.....kinda like at the end of their rope. Surgery is a gleam of light for them, one last (if you will) chance at life again.

When your ready for surgery...... you'll know it.
I agree with this absolutely. I was at the point where I felt that I'd rather die than go on as I was. Unfortunately, that's damn near what I did.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #8  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

I decided to have the lap band done (sheduled for May 12) because I'm worn out!! I can't walk with out every thing from my hips down hurting. I'm only 38 - I have a full life ahead of me and it's just time I DO something. I have dieted seriously for long periods of time and have done well, only to regain the weight after all that. It hasn't been an easy decision for me. I'm having to self pay (although the up side to that is I don't have to fight with insurance companies!) and I know I will be changing my life drastically after the band. For me, it's a choice to LIVE and be happy with myself and finally comfortable doing basic things.
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

Ditto to everything everybody else has said. I couldn't even move my laundry from the washer to the dryer without excruciationg pain in my back. Then one day I just knew I had to do it. No matter what happened I had to give it a shot. Just making the decision was liberating. A giant leap over fears and insecurities I barely acknowledged I had. I was worth it.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think at 355 lbs, it was obligatory for me to consider WLS. In the end, I decided it wasn't for me. I like to read the posts on this forum though because the struggle from being over 100 lbs overweight is one to be shared. Some people don't know how to lose weight, some people ignore their weight in some sort of denial, some people have serious emotional issues tied to their weight and some people have a mix of reasons for gaining the weight and not losing the weight.

Most people over 100 lbs overweight know how to lose weight, most have tried many times and most also have emotional issues tied to their weight and eating. How can we not? Whatever path you choose, it is a personal journey for you. I would agree with someone saying "you will know" when it is your time.

A post (on another forum) struck my mind a couple weeks ago where a poster was quite surprised at the level of restriction of a certain diet. The diet didn't seem too restrictive to me. A big part of it is portion control and eating a fairly healthy, well rounded diet. If you want to see restrictive, ask the gals here who have had WLS. The diet, at least at first, is very difficult and is near impossible for someone who hasn't had WLS. I don't think the entire process is pleasant at all but it has helped quite a few people.

I would highly recommend trying to lose weight on your own first (not to say you haven't in the past). If you look at jiffy's signature, she lost 100 lbs before she had the surgery. I think that is pretty incredible. Portion control, regular exercise and food modification can take you a long way. Plus, any weight you lose before the surgery if you plan to have it, will help you.

I have a family member who had the (gastric bypass) surgery in the recent past, but has gained all the weight back. It is truly difficult to see someone who never learned to deal with weight related issues, who then loses a good portion of weight only to still not deal with the issues still and gain the weight back.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #11  

Hi Fatt Lady..

I have actually considered surgery 2 years ago, did all the pre-op assessment and was just waiting to do it, but I chickened out! The thought of surgery (any kind of surgery) was too scary for me, so I convinced myself to give it my best and try to lose weight on my own. It worked at first, and I lost some weight (not alot), but then gained it all back. By that time, I felt that I had given up on myself and was really upset about the way I piled on even more weight. I felt powerless to do anything about it. But the thing that really struck me was that although I've always been fat, my obesity was mainly in my hips and thighs. However, lately it had been all in my tummy, that's when I realized that this is a warning sign of what's called the metabolic syndrome, and based on my family history, I knew that diabetes and hypertension were soon to follow with all their complications, all before I am even 30! That's when I felt I had to do something drastic. After discussing the options with my doctor, I knew that a band was not for me, I needed something more drastic and more permenant (it would have been easy for me not to fill the band to tighten it, and now as I am devastated by the restrictions of the new size of my stomache, I feel grateful for not doing the band). So he suggested a sleeve gasterectomy (less time in OR than RNY or DS and less complications, since I was soo scared). And there you go.. I had my surgery in March and despite some hardships at first, I couldn't be happier now

Sorry for the long post.. I wish you the best of luck whichever way you choose to do it, cuz what matters in the end is that you DO SOMETHING! Good luck and keep us posted

D.
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:11 AM   #12  
~Believe~

Wow Thanks everybody for your replies!!! I appreciate all your input! I did go to my dr. and talked about wanting to lose weight and we did discuss the WLS. He really isn't for it, but I don't think he'd hold me back if I was determined to have it. But I have decided to try on my own, at least for a 6 mos or even a year and give that ole "College Try". And also do more research on the WLS and just "pick" your all's brains. hee hee. So We'll see. So far I've been really sick the last few days with the flu so once I'm back to "normal" again, then I can start this new life.
THANKS SO MUCH, EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #13  
Old Cackler

hey there, darlin. glad to have you here. and here's a reminder to be sure to document your 6 month - or longer -'old college try.' if you DO decide to have the surgery, many insurance companies require several months to a year of supervised, compliant weight loss efforts before they'll approve the surgery.

so, be sure to have your doctor document, document, document.

and about my 97 pound, pre-surgery weight loss. it really had very little to do with any actual dieting, although i was 'on a diet.' there's no way on this planet that restricted eating alone will result in a 97 pound loss in a few months.

the KEY to this was the correction of my severe sleep apnea.

it brought my oxygen levels up to the point where, as one of my docs said, i actually, FINALLY, had a metabolism.

sooo, although it's ESSENTIAL to not gain weight before surgery, and STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that a person lose some beforehand, please don't use my spectacular pre-surgery weight loss as a guide for what's right for YOU. these circumstances were a bit unusual, and very severe. most of you are still running around having a reasonably normal life. i was not - i was pretty much bedridden, so this made a huge difference to me.

ok?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #14  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I'm sure you'll agree we can all lose weight....but the problem is keeping it off. Thats another reason why people chose weight loss surgery. I lost 150 lbs on my own, kept it off for 10+ years, until something tragic happened in my family... I gained 110 lbs back

Its a struggle even for WLS patients to keep it off, but I believe they have a better chance at fighting the weight gain demons.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #15  

Hey all. It's been awhile since I have posted. Like most people here, the decision to do WLS surgery was a very difficult one for me. I had been thinking about it for years. When I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 5 years ago, I knew that my weight issue was really serious. My doctor said that if I continued the way I was going I could be dead by the time I was 50 or 60. I knew this, but I still didn't really want to confront it.

I was scared to do the WLS. Really, there is still not a lot of studies about how this affects you 20, 30 years down the line and I did not feel like being a guinea pig. I knew I had to do something though. About 3 years ago I decided to do WW again. I decided I was really going to put a lot of effort into it. I lost over 40 pounds in 6 months. Then, I started slipping into bad habits and stopped going to the meetings. I gained all of the 40 pounds back, plus 20 more.

So last summer I started to get serious about my health. I researched WLS online and talked to a lot of people who have had it. I went to various seminars of doctors who perform the surgery and finally found one that I was comfortable with. Make sure that you trust the doctor that you go to, and it is CRITICAL that the doctor has a good follow up system after surgery. You will not be sucessful without support.
invisigoth is offline   Reply With Quote