Old 04-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #1  

Default new member

Hi everyone. I have been checking out your threads and recipes and man you low carb people really know how to eat rich food lol. Sounds delicious. Even soup recipes. What do you do for crackers? Anyway Ive been thinking lowcarb for a long long time, but I know there is a detox period and I hate that so I have decided to do it slowly. Like go lowcarb for breakfast and then lowcarb for lunch and so on and so forth until I get use to eating this way. I really believe it is the shock to the body from eating lots of carbs and then go so low in carbs that it causes weakness and headaches. I never have a headache and going to try and keep it that way if I can. Anyway my problem is this. I had a check up a few weeks ago and everything was ok, but my total cholesterol was high and my HDL or the bad stuff was high and Ive been watching fats, but I have heard people on lowcarb diets have their cholesterol drop drastically after this way of eating. Is this so? I have like 3 months to get my cholesterol down or Im gonna be put on medications and I hate that. All I know, WW, eating lowfat and counting calories DOES not work for me, so lowcarbing might. I am hoping..barb
wv_lady_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/167/130

Cool

Join right in. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Judy
Born2run2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome Barb
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/166.2/150

Height: 5'3

..I don't know anything about the cholesterol. I've heard it has helped some people. But, I don't know anybody personally... I'm sure someone hear can help.
Candy
Candy In Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #5  
TemporaryFatChick

Hi Barb, and WELCOME

Quote:
What do you do for crackers?
I make my own using almond flour, they taste a lot like wheat thins.

Quote:
so I have decided to do it slowly. Like go lowcarb for breakfast and then lowcarb for lunch and so on and so forth until I get use to eating this way.
Try using www.FitDay.com to track what you eat, it's free and O, so cool. , Restricting carbs for two meals and then eat a ton at one meal will cause your blood sugar to spike and drop and make you feel bad. Rather than do that, can I suggest that you cut your carbs to between 50-60, and spread them evenly through the day? Also, be sure that ALL the carbs you eat are good carbs. Veggies, eggs, cheese, etc., no sugar, flour, pasta, potatoes, etc. I think this will work much better for you, and you will lose weight.

Quote:
I had a check up a few weeks ago and everything was ok, but my total cholesterol was high and my HDL or the bad stuff was high and Ive been watching fats, but I have heard people on lowcarb diets have their cholesterol drop drastically after this way of eating. Is this so?
Yes, it was in my case. I was not high when I started, but it's low now - my total is 140 and my triglycerides are 57. It may take longer than 3 months to show the difference though, particularly if you aren't following Atkins to the letter.

Tenn

All I know, WW, eating lowfat and counting calories DOES not work for me, so lowcarbing might.
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 221.2/186.4/170

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to our group.
Ciarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #7  

M&Gmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #8  

Hi Barb!
treecricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #9  
Susan hockeyfan7

Welcome Barb! I've lost a lot of weight doing this plan and you can too. I don't know about the cholesterol because mine has always been low, but I have heard it helps.

I would recommend you just jump in and do it rather than trying to wean yourself off. You may have a few problems days -- but I never did. And you will find if you go slow at it, your problem days will last for a longer period of time.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Smile

Hello and to the gang I'm sure you'll find all the support here that you need!
Good luck to you. I look forward to tracking you progress!
maggie
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi Barb, Welcome. I agree with the above advice. I'd just jump in and do it. I did not have any horrible side effects the first few days. My only problem was being a little grouchy for a few days, but that happens to me, no matter what food plan I choose. Atkins has worked great for me and I have no complaints. Good Luck.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:46 PM   #12  
Woman on a mission

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Hello there! Just jump into the 'diet' or also known as a lifestyle change. Your body will thank you for it. I hope to make this a more permanent thing for me this round. I had a good loss the last time, and was very impressed with certain health issues subsiding. Mainly my reflux.
tickleyourfancies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:53 PM   #13  
Going to ONEderland

Yes it will lower cholesterol. Particularly it lowers triglycerides. Mine was 500 or so when I wasn't dieting at all, then after Atkins it was down to about 70 or so. Low fat didn't change it by much, but low carb did.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote