Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #1  

Default The last problem I expected to have!

Well, I've been working with a trainer/nutritionist, and according to my food journals, I'm not eating ENOUGH. I haven't been restricting on purpose, but it turns out that on the average day (meaning on the days that I stick to my healthy plan and not pig out on crap.. 6 days out of the week probably) I am consuming just under 1000 calories. aka not enough.

my first response in my head was "Woohoo! Time to go to McDonalds to get those extra calories!" But I have a feeling that's not the way it works.
This new issue is weird for me because healthy (in my mind) means eating fewer calories. I know there's a lot more to it than that, and I'm learning, but nutrition is so complicated.

Basically, my question is.. what are some higher calorie healthy foods that I should try to work into my diet? I eat a lot of beans and meat and green vegetables right now. I thought about throwing a protein shake into my daily intake, but I know i'll only keep it up for about a week before I get sick of it.

Sorry for the novel. I appreciate everyone who reads this!
_bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #2  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bees
Well, I've been working with a trainer/nutritionist, and according to my food journals, I'm not eating ENOUGH. I haven't been restricting on purpose, but it turns out that on the average day (meaning on the days that I stick to my healthy plan and not pig out on crap.. 6 days out of the week probably) I am consuming just under 1000 calories. aka not enough.

my first response in my head was "Woohoo! Time to go to McDonalds to get those extra calories!" But I have a feeling that's not the way it works.
Umm, unfortunately, no, lol.

I sometimes have that problem as well, where I just don't take in enough calories.

You might want to try adding some whole wheat pasta in. Or maybe make yourself a nice big salad. Or, yes, you can try the nutrition shakes. Or even add some more veggies.

Maybe others will have some more ideas
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:36 AM   #3  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

How about dairy products? Milk does a body good, you know. Are you a coffee drinker? Make yourself a cappuccino or latte! I would *love* to have room in my calorie intake to have a latte every morning!
Cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, all good. Most have about 100-150 calories per serving.

Nuts and seeds are good too, and fairly high-calorie. There's a lot of fat in them, but it's mainly the good kinds.

A personal favorite of mine: avocados. As far as vegetables/fruits go, they're pretty high in fat and calories, but they're still good for you. They're packed with vitamins, and even the fat is the healthy variety. I slice them up for sandwiches, mash them up for guacamole, or chunk them up on salads, omelets, pretty much anything else.
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #4  
No description available.

I love love love avocados! If I was on a desert island, and there were only avocados, I would be a happy camper.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_elisha
A personal favorite of mine: avocados.
Mmmmmm, yes, I love those things. Full of heart-healthy fats
Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife
I love love love avocados! If I was on a desert island, and there were only avocados, I would be a happy camper.
Well there ya go. It's a perfect food for adding in more healthy calories

Great suggestion, Elisha.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #7  

ooh. I've never eaten avocado.

*adds to shopping list.*
Old 04-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bees
ooh. I've never eaten avocado.

*adds to shopping list.*
I love it.

I prefer the California avocados (the bigger green ones) to the Florida avocados (the smaller brown ones) but they're not always available. I have a hard time finding those suckers.

California avocados are also lower in fat and calories than the Florida kind.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #9  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Avocados are also good grilled, for example mixed in with other grilled veggies. Yum yum. An avocado, a little garlic, and I'm all set!
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #10  

What are some other good fats?
I know nuts are good. I try to put different kinds of nut oil on my salads instead of dressing.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #11  

Hemp oil is a great one, it's full of Omega three, six and nine fatty acids. It tastes nice too. Hubby even used it to cook eggs (by mistake) and it was really nice. However heating it kills off the healthy benefits, so don't do that

Flax seed oil is good, and if you can find it, pumpkin seed oil from Austria is lovely. Macademia nut oil is another, but can be very expensive, if you can find it at all.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:55 PM   #12  

Well, try to add a little bit to each meal. I love the new South Beach breakfast wraps (the Denver flavored one is amazing!) If you are only eating carbs for breakfast, that would be a nice addition on protien and fiber for 270 calories. Also, cottage cheese or those cottage doubles, yogurt, nuts, soup...fruit has calories, and try may be more meat at dinner. Beans are really good too. Oh and peanut butter!!!!!!!!! That is a yummy way to add calories and healthy fats and protiens...I obviously don't have an issue eating enough, but my problem is I spend my points on snacks, rather than actual foods...good luck!
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrogwetrust
Well, try to add a little bit to each meal. I love the new South Beach breakfast wraps (the Denver flavored one is amazing!)
I love those things and the Denver Style is my favorite