Old 04-23-2006, 03:48 PM   #1  
Dante'smama

S/C/G: 245/239/140

Default Ketosis and Induction

Ty to everyone who welcomed me yesterday. I am heading out in a little bit to get Dr. Atkins books to help me. I had been on the Atkins website on Friday, (today being Sunday) and thought I was doing induction properly.

I have been eating eggs in the morning, about two or three cups of salad greens with some mushrooms and other veggies on the allowe list once a day for lunch and chicken, and beef for supper with some green beans.

I have been drinking my water about (3) 16 oz bottles a day, but I'm concerned because yesterday I used half and half in my coffee, and today had heavy cream. I just reread the website and realized during induction I'm not supposed to have any dairy .

Should I restart a new induction tomorrow? I just honestly do not know if I can drink black coffee. Or do you think having 7-8 tablespoons of heavy cream a day would be ok?

Also how long does it take to enter ketosis?

Ty to anyone who can offer me advice.

Dantesmama

Last edited by Dante'smama; 04-23-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Dante'smama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #2  
Going to ONEderland

It usually takes me about 3 days to enter light ketosis. This is WITH cream. I wouldn't start over, just tighten up from where you are if you feel the need.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #3  
Determined

I'm not on Atkins, but just for general info heavy cream is 100 cals per 2 tbsp, so you could potentially be getting 400 calories for a coffee additive per day, which I wouldn't think would be great for any diet. What about skim milk? (I'm not sure if that's allowed on atkins either). I'm blessed (I guess) to not like coffee so I don't know what else would make it taste good. What about splenda? Or maybe there are low carb creamers? I'm about to go to the grocery store, I'll post back if I see any. Good luck.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221.2/186.4/170

Height: 5'7"

The book is your best guide.

According to your list you are a little over on veggies everyday. 2cups salad and 1 cup other induction veggies or 3 cups salad.

cream comes under special foods:
Special Category Foods
To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, an ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

And about the coffee:
Excessive caffeine may cause unstable blood sugar and should be avoided by those who suspect they are caffeine dependent. Everyone should try to avoid caffeine.
DANDR....page 127

and try to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day.

BTW I love my coffee but considering letting it go to try to get my weight loss moving along better.
Ciarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #5  

I have continually had heavy cream during induction with no problems. Also, you can have cheese.. so if you can't have dairy, how can you have cheese.. It really depends on your body, and how dairy affects you. Some people can stall and other loose just fine. Just pay attention to it, and adjust it as you see fit.

As for calorie counting... it is virtually non-existant on this diet, so I say don't do it. It can mentally keep you from doing the diet correctly.

Good luck! You can do this...
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #6  
Dante'smama

Ty to all who answered. As far as calories, I'm not counting them with Atkins, I know from what I have read, it's not the calories it's the carbs. So the calories in the cream are not concerning me.

I do have a friend I worked with that did Atkins and lost 58 pounds in about 6 months and has kept if off for a few years, so I know it must work.

Thanks again everyone, and I picked up the book today
Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thumbs down Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante'smama
I just reread the website and realized during induction I'm not supposed to have any dairy .

Should I restart a new induction tomorrow? I just honestly do not know if I can drink black coffee. Or do you think having 7-8 tablespoons of heavy cream a day would be ok?

Dantesmama
Hi Dante'smama,

I am very confused The Akins website says you are not supposed to have any dairy during Induction???

Cheese & heavy cream ARE allowed during Induction on Atkins!
Straight from the Atkins website:

OTHER FOODS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION
Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

cheddar
cow, sheep and goat cheese
cream cheese
Gouda
mozzarella
Roquefort and other blue cheeses
Swiss

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.

To add variety, you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avacado,an ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

I hope this helps.

All the best to you,

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #8  
Dante'smama

I'm sorry to confuse anyone, I meant dairy as in milk. As in I am not supposed to have milk? I think it's my mindset, to me cream is dairy aye yi yi I need to read the book
Old 04-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #9  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Cream IS dairy, yep But it's ok...

Milk, however, is not ok! Milk contains 11.4 to 11.9 grams of carbs in 1 cup, depending on the amount of fat in it. Milk has more lactose (a sugar) in it than cream or half and half.

Example:
1 cup skim milk = 11.9 grams carbs
1 cup heavy cream = 6.4 grams carbs

So stick to the tastier full fat stuff!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #10  
Going to ONEderland

Rule 4 of page 123 on my white atkins book says:
"Eat no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. "
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote