Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/207/135

Question Body Cleanse/Detox

Has anyone done a colon detox/cleanse?
What kind have you done?
How long did you do it for?
Was it hard?
Are you glad you did it?

Feel free to give any advice I really want to know all about it.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/148/125

I've been doing colon cleanse once every other month. And yes it does work. While taking it I have at least 2 bowl movements a day. The brand I use is called Health Pluse Super Colon Cleanse. Its sold at GNC (that's the only place I've found it in my area). I pay $14.99. You can only take it every couple of months so for colon maintenance I take the Health Plus the orginial colon cleanse. But you should do a little more reseach first before taking it because there is some side effects. And be sure to check with your Dr. to see if its right for you. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:43 AM   #3  
it's always something

A colon cleanse will cause you to have a lot of bowel movements, but it doesn't "detox" or help with weight loss. Detox and colon cleansing is the latest health scam and is really not necessary. You'll frequently run across products that offer to "detox" the system, which is actually not necessary or even possible. The body is naturally cleansing. It's a myth, a hoax. They are widely known for using scare tactics to sell their products. The advertisements can sound so convincing that it's easy to believe them, but that's what good marketing is all about.

What these products will do is cause diarrhea and fluid loss. They won't improve your health, or assist burning of fat. Doctors recommend we eat 25 grams of fiber daily, and drink about 8 glasses of water each day, to keep our bowels moving, healthy, and naturally cleansed.

If you are curious about detoxing, please check out these articles for surprising facts that may change your mind.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/col...ansing/AN00065

http://www.acsh.org/factsfears/newsI...ews_detail.asp

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/100/105845.htm
Old 03-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #4  

i have seen studies done by consumers institute in england and new zealand. both have shown that there are zero benefits from detox or cleanses...

will check out those links thanks suzanne
Old 03-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse33
While taking it I have at least 2 bowl movements a day.
LOL if that's the goal, I could do that by just eating a ton of fiber--or some greasy fast food
Old 03-23-2006, 06:04 AM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

I saw an advert for Colon Cleanse (don't know if it's the same product the original post is referring to as it appears there are several on the market with similar names) in Health Magazine - the main active ingredient appears to be Psyllium - which is the *same* active ingredient in Metamucil!

Hmmm....that might tell you something...what's that saying? "There is nothing new under the sun..."

They can call it detox and make it sound like a great weight-loss aid but what it comes down to is - it's all just fiber and laxatives.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #7  

Eating super clean will give you all the "detox" you need!
Old 03-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
I saw an advert for Colon Cleanse (don't know if it's the same product the original post is referring to as it appears there are several on the market with similar names) in Health Magazine - the main active ingredient appears to be Psyllium - which is the *same* active ingredient in Metamucil!

Hmmm....that might tell you something...what's that saying? "There is nothing new under the sun..."

They can call it detox and make it sound like a great weight-loss aid but what it comes down to is - it's all just fiber and laxatives.
I was reading up on psyllium as a supplement- yikes!!!! Even the bottle label makes it sound dangerous.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #9  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I did a detox once upon a time, and all it really did was make me pee ALOT but my skin did look better. But as far as weight loss. Nah. I didnt lose any weight. Thats not why I did it though. I just did one when I stopped eatting crap because i felt like I needed a flush.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #10  

What about a liver cleanse?

Lill/Elva
Old 04-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #11  
I vant to draw your blood

Interesting thread. I'm not convinced that our bodies naturally cleanse themselves, though. If that were the case, we'd never have gallstones, kidney stones, appendicitis, acne, cirrhosis of the liver, cancer, etc....

But, I do believe that most of the products that are sold for the sole purpose of "cleansing and detoxing" are just scams.

Years back, I had a coworker who just plain looked "toxic". Her complexion was muddy, her hair dull and lifeless, her breath stank and she had horrible body odor. It wasn't that she never bathed or brushed her teeth, either.

She was a complete junk food junkie. A couple of months after we started working together I asked her if she'd be interested in starting a weight loss program with me and she did.

Within a couple of weeks of her new regimen of drinking water instead of cola, eating salads and lean proteins instead of chips and cookies, her skin started to clear up and her halitosis gradually diminished. After a couple of months, she'd not only lost weight, but her skin lost all the muddiness and her hair became shiny and she even said it stopped breaking. And better yet, her frequent stomach aches were gone along with the bad breath.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #12  

that is interesting. we have a tv show that is sort of like htat

they take unhealthy people who have to eat healthily. but also they take people in perfect health who have to do the unhealthy people's previous diet for 2 weeks. at the end of those 2 weeks the healthy people are usually a wreck from overeating and underexercising. and they have bad complexions, diarrhoea or constipation and a whole host of problems. it gets you thinkin
Old 04-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacita
Interesting thread. I'm not convinced that our bodies naturally cleanse themselves, though. If that were the case, we'd never have gallstones, kidney stones, appendicitis, acne, cirrhosis of the liver, cancer, etc....
They will if you treat them correctly. All those things you listed could be avoided if we do not abuse ourselves with crap food and toxins.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpingiron
They will if you treat them correctly. All those things you listed could be avoided if we do not abuse ourselves with crap food and toxins.
Exactly! I've never heard of anyone who ate mostly fruits, veggies, lean meats, lean dairy, and whole grains have any major "toxin"-related problems (without an underlying medical condition, for which a cleanse wouldn't help anyway). Even with processed treats included in the diet sparingly, as long as you're getting enough water, fiber, and nutrients and not getting too much other garbage, your body should be good to go!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacita

But, I do believe that most of the products that are sold for the sole purpose of "cleansing and detoxing" are just scams.

Years back, I had a coworker who just plain looked "toxic". Her complexion was muddy, her hair dull and lifeless, her breath stank and she had horrible body odor. It wasn't that she never bathed or brushed her teeth, either.

She was a complete junk food junkie. A couple of months after we started working together I asked her if she'd be interested in starting a weight loss program with me and she did.

Within a couple of weeks of her new regimen of drinking water instead of cola, eating salads and lean proteins instead of chips and cookies, her skin started to clear up and her halitosis gradually diminished. After a couple of months, she'd not only lost weight, but her skin lost all the muddiness and her hair became shiny and she even said it stopped breaking. And better yet, her frequent stomach aches were gone along with the bad breath.
Actually, the story of your coworker illustrates that the body *IS* designed to cleanse and detoxify itself. What it is not designed to do is to derive its nutrition from fatty, greasy, sugary, highly processed foods. Those are the things that lead to the ailments that you mention, not the body's inability to remove impurities. It removes them very nicely, up to a point. Beyond that point, the impurities build up and cause disease, not because of the body's inefficiency or inability, but because it was simply given too much garbage to deal with.
Closed Thread