Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #1  
Sweet Success

Default The whole world is on a diet

Really it seems that way. Wal-Mart is pretty much the only store that will stock the Sara Lee Delightful Bagels and they are more out to stock 10 ( which I still don't think is enough for the shelf) other stores stock about 5 and sell out quickly. It has been an on and off luck at Wal-Mart I like to buy them 100 % wheat which I could only get one of and bought the other plain. These are the only pack of bagels I see on the shelf at 130 calories a bagel.

I notice I was getting a little low in my 100 caloire snack packs or Right Bites and when I was at the store the shelf was completely empty of these and this is the second visit. These 100 calorie packs are hard to shop for. This is something else that could use a big amount of shelf space.

I about panic when I couldn't find the 100 calorie pop corn. I am usually looking for Pop Secrets but I notice they are stocking Act II 100 calorie pop corn so I grab one of those.

Ahhhh the shopping day experience.
FeistyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #2  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

How about Thomas 100% Whole Wheat English Muffins...always gone--GRRR!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:33 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

Feisty have you tried Lenders bagels, the original ones? They're under 150 calories. I know they're smaller than the regular bagels you find at bagel shops, but they're good.

I also like Thomas Light multi-grain english muffins. They're very good and have a lot of fiber. I do WW and they're only 1 point.

I love food shopping so I'm always trying different things. Wasa makes "light" crackers, those are good with hummus or other spreads and they're low calorie, no fat, and have fiber too!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #4  
Sweet Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlykat4u
Feisty have you tried Lenders bagels, the original ones? They're under 150 calories. I know they're smaller than the regular bagels you find at bagel shops, but they're good.

I also like Thomas Light multi-grain english muffins. They're very good and have a lot of fiber. I do WW and they're only 1 point.

I love food shopping so I'm always trying different things. Wasa makes "light" crackers, those are good with hummus or other spreads and they're low calorie, no fat, and have fiber too!
Are those in the freezers? I thought I looked at something in the freezers and I think they were 250 calories or something like that.

If I can't find the bagels I am usually buying Pepperiage Farms wheat muffins that is around 140 calories but I usually use the wheat muffins for a light philly spread snack. I use the bagel to make a omlet sandwich out of it in the morning. mmmmm so yummy.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

Yes, they're in the freezer section, they have the NY style which are bigger and probably around 250 cal. But the original Lender's bagels are smaller, the plain ones are 140 cal, the cinnamon raisin ones are 150 cal. I love a warm bagel with laughin cow light cheese, it's so good!

The Thomas light muffins are 100 cal each... how can you not love them!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #6  
Sweet Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlykat4u
Yes, they're in the freezer section, they have the NY style which are bigger and probably around 250 cal. But the original Lender's bagels are smaller, the plain ones are 140 cal, the cinnamon raisin ones are 150 cal. I love a warm bagel with laughin cow light cheese, it's so good!

The Thomas light muffins are 100 cal each... how can you not love them!
Welllllll!!!! Muffins are another issue. I haven't yet seen Thomas and I barely find the Pepperidge Farm ones. those muffins fly off the shelves as well. Is there like a bread diet going on that I do not know about?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyRoo
Really it seems that way.
I agree with you, people are trying to eat healthier because I read more and more articles about produce sales being up and the 'healthy' products really taking off. But what's funny about the whole thing is people are still getting fatter.

I think a lot of that has to do with people assuming that since they're eating healthier foods they can still eat as much as they want, when it still boils down to calories, regardless of what you eat.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #8  

Default Bread fad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyRoo
Is there like a bread diet going on that I do not know about?
Maybe it is all the Ex-Atkins followers freaking out and overbuying muffins and bagels to compensate for the months and months of deprivation?

The hard thing for me to find is wheat tortillas. The stores around me carry these maybe once a year, it seems like.
teckeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:11 PM   #9  
I restore Teeth.

the lenders small ones are great!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:42 PM   #10  
Slow and Steady

I know what you mean FeistyRoo. I can only get my favorite low cal English Muffins at Walmart about half the time. They are Nature's Grain Lite brand which are 110 calories each and they are only 94 cents. They only have a little tiny space on the shelf. Seems like there is a problem with Inventory control.
Quirky1 is offline   Reply With Quote