Old 04-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Question Question on what to expect during induction

HI all. I'm new here and very please to be here. I have been doing atkins for 2 weeks now. The first week I lost 10 lbs and the second week 1 lb. Is this normal? I know I lost a lot the first week but I thought being that it was the induction period that I would lose a little more that 1lb the second week.
I know I shouldn't complain but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing anything wrong. I have been struggling with the water thing but do manage to to get 8 glasses in a day. (Some of which is crystal light) SOme days I'm just not hungry and go without breakfast or somedays it's lunch. Well actually sometimes it's because I'm not hungry and other times it's because I can't stand the thought of another egg or piece of chicken. (I don't eat beef or pork so it's that much more limiting!) Do you think not eating enough will have something to do with the weight not coming off? I haven't incorporated exercise in yet either. Does anyone use the ketosis sticks. I have thought about doing that to make sure I wasn't having to many veggies. Thanks for any input
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Needtolose4me2,

Congratulations on your weight lose & your decision to do Atkins. Everyone is different as far as how quickly they drop weight. A lot of factors need to be taken into consideration...how much weight you have to lose, your lifestyle, etc.

Would you mind posting your menu here so we can see exactly what you're eating? Sometimes we are eating things we don't realize could be a problem. You mentioned Crystal Light...are you drinking the Crystal Light made from powder or are you drinking the kind that is already made in bottles? The reason I ask is because the powder contains aspartame, the ready made is made with Splenda. Please post a menu for us so we can help you out.

All the best to you!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:59 PM   #3  

Hi Kim.
Wow! Congrats to you! I guess if anybody can give advice it's you!
As far as a menu for me goes, here is a sampleof a dayfor me
BREAKFAST 2-3 eggs either with peppers and onions or a cheese omelete.
1 coffee with a bit of 1/2 and 1/2

LUNCH can of tuna (in water) mixed with mayo on a bed of iceberg
some cukes hot peppers and balsamic vinegar and oil.

DINNER chiken breast either grilled or sauteed with zuchinni onions and
peppers (sometimes with cheese too) made with either dry
spices or teriyaki sauce salad of iceberg, tomatoes, cukes &
onion with o & V or hidden vally ranch

OR
frozen prepackaged 6 oz. blackened salmon grilled or sauteed
olive oil. with same salad
now sometimes is also add whatever left over veggies my
kids didn't eat with their dinner. (asparagus, broccoli,
cauliflower, carrots. I don't measure it out but it's not like
I eat a bowlful.
SNACK throughout the day - cheese stick or hardboiled eggs
i always get 8 glassess of water/lemonaid in a day. Yes,it's powdered and i usually have about 3-4 glasses a day of that. butnot everyday.

that's everything. Now sometimes I find my self skipping one of these meals usually breakfast or lunch.
so there you have it. any advice wouldbe great. Do youthink i REALLY need to measure? or maybe cut back on veggies ? (Which totally leaves me with hardly anything!)
Old 04-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Hi Needtolose4me2,

First things first ...YES, you really do NEED to measure!

Your breakfast looks ok. However, onions are "carby"...I'd try to avoid them. Also..you are much better off using heavy cream in place of the half & half. Half & Half contains carbs.

Your lunch is good with one exception...balsamic vinegar...too much sugar.

Your dinner is good with a few exceptions...the onions. What kind of cheese do you eat & how much are you eating? Be careful of the ranch dressing, a serving size is 2 Tbsp. My rule is if 2 Tbsp. contain more than 2 carbs...I don't eat it. You mentioned carrots...carrots are "carby" & contain sugar...best to avoid.

Drink lots of water. Try to avoid the lemonaid since I'm sure it contains aspartame.

You don't need to cut back on veggies. Veggies (low carb veggies) are good. Remember, it isn't the veggies that caused our weight problem to begin with

Do you have the Atkins book? Its very important to read it, re-read it until you understand the way this eating plan works.

If you have other questions, feel free to PM me anytime

All the best to you,

Kim
Old 04-15-2006, 10:27 PM   #5  
TemporaryFatChick

Wow Kim, great advice! I suggest using www.fitday.com, a free on-line food diary that will calculate your calories, vitamins, carbs, fat, etc. Really cool tool, and FREE

Quote:
I have been struggling with the water thing but do manage to to get 8 glasses in a day.
Great job!
Quote:
SOme days I'm just not hungry and go without breakfast or somedays it's lunch.
You shouldn't skip breakfast because your metobalism slows when you sleep and doesn't perk back up again until you eat. If the idea of eggs gag you, munch a slice of cheese, some cucumbers w/ranch, celery stuffed w/some cream cheese, etc. No rules say you HAVE to eat breakfast food for breakfast.
Quote:
Well actually sometimes it's because I'm not hungry and other times it's because I can't stand the thought of another egg or piece of chicken. (I don't eat beef or pork so it's that much more limiting!)
I make an easy Mexican sauce for left over cooked chicken that you may want to try. Mix about 2 oz. of cream cheese, 2 T La Victoria green taco sauce, a sprinkle of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder. Heat and mix till smooth, add a little water so it's not so thick, and then add chunks of cooked chicken. YUM!
Quote:
Do you think not eating enough will have something to do with the weight not coming off?
Not eating enough is problematic. Dr. Atkins says not to go more than 6 waking hours without eating. It keeps the fat burning mechanism in high gear. O yeah, eating doesn't necessarily mean eating a meal, small amounts of food are just fine if you really aren't hungry.
Quote:
I haven't incorporated exercise in yet either.
It's really important, if for no other reason than that you don't wanna be flabby when you're at goal
Quote:
Does anyone use the ketosis sticks. I have thought about doing that to make sure I wasn't having to many veggies.
Atkins induction requires 2 cups of salad veggies and 1 cup of cooked veggies or 3 cups of salad per day, so if you aren't exceeding that and are eating veggies from the acceptable list, you should be just fine. As for ketosis sticks... mmmmm. I used them to make sure that I was in ketosis when I first started and it was kinda cool, but they aren't reliable. If you drink a lot of water they register low, and if you eat too much protein they can register high (even if you aren't in ketosis at all). The best way to tell if you are in ketosis is that you'll have an odd metalic taste in your mouth, possible bad breath, supressed appetite, and your urine smells funny.

One thing you didn't mention, are you taking a multiple vitamin and a fiber suppliment? If not, you really need to.

Finally...
People loose at different rates, and unfortunately, the weight doesn't come off as fast as the first two weeks on induction. Your body is dumping a ton of water the first week or two, after that it's all fat! Pick up a box of butter at the grocery store and think that that's how much FAT you lost last week. Pretty cool, huh?

Welcome!

Tenn
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:15 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I haven't used the Ketosis strips since I started. I don't know any where to get them near my home. I usually know I am in Ketosis because my breath is so much worse. I just gargle a lot and keep plenty of sugar-free gum handy. I do exercise regularly on my treadmill and feel that this definitely has helped a lot with my weight loss. I remember losing 11 lbs. during induction..It was 6 the first week and 5 the second week. After that, about 2 lbs. a week for the first 6 months. Only lose 3 or 4 lbs. a month now that I am closer to a "normal" weight. Still keeping daily food journal and exercise journal and working just as hard at it, but lbs. still much harder to get off now. From what I have read on here, it seems that this is pretty much normal.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #7  
Going to ONEderland

You need to ask at the pharmacy. They usually have the ketostix behind the counter. You don't have to have a prescription to buy them, but you do need to ask the pharmacist. Ketostix are made by Bayer (the asparin people) so you should be able to get them at most pharmacies.

There is another type which is Keto (something else) stix. You can get those if you can't get the Ketostix, those strips have a second test strip on them that tests for something else that diabetics get, but they cost the same as Ketostix, so you don't have to worry about buying them.

I like having them. They let me know when I've eaten something I shouldn't.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:38 AM   #8  

Thanks all! I appreciate the information. I can see where I need to make adjustments now. I will start my treadmill, and cut back on certain thins like my balsamic vinegar, and certain veggies. I usually eat mozz. american or this typeof mexican cheese (i forget the name) but not a lot. Maybe a slice in my omelette and then another slice for dinner. and probably a cheese stick in between there some where. I kind of thought cheese was as good as chicken to eat. IT's been a few years since I read the book. Do you think Ishoul dget a new one in case there has been some updates? Mine must be 4-5 years old. anyway. Thanks again.I thing I'll do better this week! I'll keep you posted. My weigh in day is Thursday
Old 04-17-2006, 07:22 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

I use Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution copyright 1992.

Cheese is limited on Induction to 4 oz. a day and only certain types of cheeses. Mozzarella & American cheeses are fine

A few small changes in your way of eating can really pay off!

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me anytime.

All the best to you,

Kim
Old 04-20-2006, 11:01 AM   #10  

Dear Jersey girl and everone,
THANK YOU SO MUCH. as opposed to lst weeks -1lb. this week I'm down 4 lbs! yeah! Couldn't have done it without all your advice!