Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #1  

Default How often do you weigh yourself?

Hi. I'm new to this site, but not new to weight loss. I came across an interesting article about how often you should weigh yourself, and I thought I would share it here.

I've always been prone to weighing myself daily. Most of the so-called experts have discouraged this practice, instead recommending that you only weigh yourself once a week. But, I find that I just feel better doing it each morning. I can't start my day without knowing how much I weigh. And, now, there are some so-called experts who agree with me!

"...a group of doctors who studied obese and overweight adults who were trying to lose weight as well as overweight adults who were trying to prevent weight gain found that those who weighed themselves more often lost more weight and prevented more weight gain over two years than those who weighed themselves less frequently. Contrary to the advice given in many popular weight loss regimens, this study suggests that at least some people can benefit from the accountability brought on by daily weigh-ins."

I was just wondering if anyone else here weighs themselves daily, or do you all stick to the once-a-week regime? Or, maybe you don't use a scale at all?

Here is the link to the full article quoted above.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=55489
asimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #2  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I don't have a set schedule but weigh myself if I think to.. I keep the scale under the bathroom sink. It is easier for me to sweep the floor daily with it put up.

Now I think it is better that I don't weigh myself daily or even weekly. But once I become closer within a range that I will work to maintain, I think it would be better to weigh everyday.. Then I can't go into a denial about my weight. I've read several threads about this and think that most people who successfully maintain, say they weigh daily.. but they don't let the numbers upset them because they understand fluctuations.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #3  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I try to only weigh once a week, keeps me sane. If I weigh everyday, I tend to get a little obsessive compulsive. But thats just me
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:44 AM   #4  
ICU-RN

I'm an everyday weigher.
RegisteredNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #5  

Once a week when I was losing, once every two weeks when maintaining (if the scale was to go up, I'd go back to once a week). I'm obsessive at heart so I know this is better for ME, if not for everyone.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I weigh myself every morning after I go to the bathroom, before I get dressed. Sometimes I weigh myself in the evening also just to see how much I've eaten/drank. Sometimes it can be a 5 pound difference.

I don't let it affect my mood, if I see that I'm up a little it helps me to stear clear of the small little treats I might normally indulge in-like the candy dish at the reception desk. If I know that my weight is up then I find it easier to skip it and anything else someone might bring in for treats.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/191/150

I weigh myself probably on average 2 a day, before I get in the shower in the morning and again just before bed. I don't let the numbers scare me to much because I can fluctuate b/w 2-4 lbs a day. I find if I weigh myself I am more accountable when putting things into my mouth.

Last night was a prime example, I had bought a bag of chips over the weekend for watching movies but amazingly it went unopened. Last night I finally opened the bag and was able to have only a handful and put the rest back. I was proud of myself.. I just kept thinking to myself I have lost 12 lbs, I want to see that number drop even further! I just don't want to fall of the wagon. Allowing your self a treat is a nice indulgence but I can't wait to hit my first Mini goal 195 pounds I can buy myself a couple new pants!
Nicklewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:34 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

I weigh every day except on weekends, because the scale is at work. I tried the once a week thing but it drove me nuts! So I saw no reason not to go back to every day. I read that article also!!!

But I really don't think it matters!! Whatever you are comfortable with! Even as you see in this thread... some people it drives nuts to do it every day; others are just the opposite.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #9  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I weigh in every week or two. I've got depression issues so weighing in every day and seeing my weight fluctuate could totally mess me up. If I weigh once every week it just feels better to me. I don't weigh during TOM, though.
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #10  
Slow and Steady

I weigh once a week. When I get to Maintenance I plan on weighing daily though and keeping a daily weigh-in chart near the scale as a reminder. Also, I think it will help me to feel a little accountable to my husband who will see the chart also. He is also losing weight and hopefully he'll want to keep a chart too.
Quirky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #11  
Chicky

S/C/G: 250/155.2/130

Height: 5'6.25"

I do it several times a day. I like to see what I weigh after I eat or work out, but i'm used to the daily changes so it doesn't bother me to see it go up one morning cause as long as i've stayed true to my diet I know that my real weight is the lowest I last saw. And it always goes down. Plus I've noticed that the next morning after i've lost, it will go up one pound, so no way am I going to miss a morning and not see the progress i've made for another couple of days.
SupersizedChicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #12  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I weigh daily, bright and early every morning. It keeps me motivated to watch even ounces disappear. Keeps me motivated to eat well so I can see the results again the next morning. If I weighed only weekly, I know I'd get a bit sloppy.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #13  
rambler

S/C/G: 296/225/170

I can go from daily to 3 times a day depending on the circumstances. I hve tried not weighing for a week or more and found that i can gain a lot in a week! there is a lot to be said for accountability!
ELEM-PGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #14  
Chicky

S/C/G: 250/155.2/130

Height: 5'6.25"

What kind of scales does everyone have. Mine only goes as small as a half pound. I know that there are ones that measure your fat and everything.
SupersizedChicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS
I try to only weigh once a week, keeps me sane. If I weigh everyday, I tend to get a little obsessive compulsive. But thats just me
Me too. Since weight fluctuates daily I would drive myself crazy if I weighed every day. I weigh once a week, same day, same time of day.
CheeseBurger&Thighs is offline   Reply With Quote