General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:53 AM   #1  

Default The Fat Resistance Diet by Dr. Leo Galland

OK, I am going to try this one. However, first I needed to special order two ingredients that are not available locally: cherry and blueberry concentrates. I would have been able to get the cherry concentrate at local health food stores but blueberry is hard to come by. So, I ordered them both online, probably can't list the URL here but the company name is Brownwood Acres, just do a search on that. I think I spent like $30 on both, but they should last a long, long time from waht I can see. I will need to get almond butter from a health food store, and pomegranate juice is now in my local supermarkets.
I won't start until my concentrates arrive in the mail, though.
I will post my progress. That's one downside to this program, having to special order ingredients.
garybearsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:31 AM   #2  

Default I have the ingredients now...

These are the unusual things needed for The Fat Resistance Diet:
Pomegranate Juice - usually in the bigger supermarkets. Pom brand isn't cost effective, though, as much as the diet calls for. Look for RW Knudsen brand, may want to make a trip to a health food store.
Cherry and Blueberry Concentrates - health food stores may have it. I ordered mine online. I know links wind up being removed here, but I chose Brownwood Acres, just do a Google search for that.
Almond Butter - health food store.
Loose Green Tea - bigger grocery markets, or just say the heck with it and open up one green tea bag. You don't need that much anyway, but you will need lots of green tea bags.
I still didn't buy cardamom. Super Wal-Mart wanted $10! I'm going through my spice cabinet again, I thought I still had some.
Monday will be day 1. I will enter the foods into FitDay. I will have the challenge of business networking meetings with foods I shouldn't eat, but I will just eat beforehand and then play with my food at the meeting.

Michele
Old 04-08-2006, 07:41 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks for the reminder! I bought the book a few weeks ago and must read it. Do let us know how things go for you.
And good morning!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #4  

Oh! One more ingredient that's less than normal is whey protein. Super Wal-Mart carries it, so do bigger grocery stores and health food stores. Should be sugar free and I'm sure he means plain, unflavored.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:53 AM   #5  

Default After Day 1 on the Fat Resistance Diet

Well, I had to improvise at lunch, due to a meeting at a restaurant. I met an associate at Macaroni Grill and ordered the Insalata Blue, which has walnuts (a food called for on the diet) and blue cheese. I had the dressing on the side and did not touch any of the bread they brought to the table. However, I think I was supposed to have either walnuts or cheese, not both, on my salad.
All told, with that discretion, my FitDay calories calories came to 1,621. I cut back on the final snack of the day or it would have been higher.
For my lifestyle, I would move that final snack to earlier in the day since we are such early risers. I get hungrier earlier in the day, too. Also, the diet called for 8 oz of salmon PER PERSON at supper! Hubby and I both felt that was too much. So suppers will be back to a 4 oz portion of protein per person. Hubby wasn't too thrilled with the Immune Power Soup recipe, he thought it was bland. I normally put tomatoes in soups, this didn't have any. I don't see why it shouldn't, tomatoes are eaten elsewhere in this diet's phase 1.
Oh, yes, there are phases, as there are in South Beach, but carrots are eaten in phase 1 as are some fruits. Yesterday called for apple, orange and banana, plus the fruit extracts.
Have another luncheon to go to today. Last month they served a great ig plate of starch for each person. I will have a cup of Immune Power Soup before going. Then tomorrow our church is doing a one day fast for three of its members (I am one) so I will be on vegetable juice and green tea tomorrow. That's not part of this diet, no, it's just a one day thing our church is doing. Then this weekend is or wedding anniversary - so I will repeat week 1 next week and maybe I can actually do it correctly!
-Michele
Old 04-11-2006, 08:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I get plain whey protein powder at a bulk food store. Cheap cheap cheap!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:13 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Wow, sounds like a really restrictive plan, but I am unfamiliar with it--how long do these phases last?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #8  

Well, the phase 1 is two weeks but can be longer. Phase 2 is as long as it takes to loose the weight and phase 3 is maintenance. Sounds like that was borrowed from South Beach.
Actually, it's not that restrictive when you look at it. On South Beach there is no fruit in phase 1. On Fat Resistance (FR) I have had apples, oranges, bananas and pears so far and grapefruit is later this week.
Oh, and that one day fast, it's not part of the diet at all. It's a church thing, nothing to do with the plan whatsoever. We have missionaries in southeast Asia and church members here in the US that needs answers to prayer, so pastor called a one day fast.
That's why I'm starting this over again next week. My difficult part is eating out when I have these business functions to attend. Some places I can eat healthy, like a nice salad at Subway, and the better restaurants. But I'm in the deep South, and the good ole' boys like places that serve chicken fried steak and fried pickles (yuck!) I guess I'll just need to learn to eat beforehand and just sip my (unsweet) tea!
Old 04-12-2006, 05:31 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Maybe restrictive was the wrong word--I guess I just found it odd that you needed so many certain specific ingredients (the fruit extracts, the protein powder, the pomegranate juice, etc.) Not something I would be able (or willing ) to do, but good luck to you!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #10  

Default Starting Over on the Fat Resistance Diet

Well, last week just didn't work out. Church proclaimed a one day fast, then the next weekend was our wedding anniversary and Easter Sunday. So I'm starting all over again with week 1.

First thing I learned is that the diet asks for too much meat at dinner. I cut the protein portions down to 4-6 oz per person. That keeps the daily calories in the 1600 or so range (I'm entering into FitDay).

There are a few similarites to South Beach, in that there are 3 phases, the first promising lots of initial weight loss in the two week initial phase and then in phase 2 you start adding foods back in. The difference is that fruit is allowed from day 1. After 2 days I have eaten oranges, apples, pears, bananas and frozen blueberries, as well as pomegranate juice and cherry concentrate (which can be purchased from better health food stores).

The book is on Amazon. There is a website for the diet, a rather miniature one, it's free but no new information if you have the book. PM me if you want the link.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #11  

I think I am going to journal this, rather than the forum. Anyone interested in this plan and how I am doing on it and what I think, just check the journals under Garybearsgirl!