View Single Post
Old 10-24-2001, 07:27 PM   #24
goodforme

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Talking In defense of Dr. Atkins

I love his program, and despite the naysayers, he's been thriving since the 70's. The Physician's Weight Loss Center that told your friend to keep the carbs below 100 was correct. The average American consumes over 300 grams of carbs each day. A "low" carb plan of 100 a day is only one third of what they usually eat. On induction with Atkins you are on a zero tolerance type deal. You can increase your intake until you reach a point where the weight stops coming off, and that varies from person to person. Some people can eat 80 grams a day, some only 45. For maintenance, I'd say 100 would probably keep some people at their target weight.

Are you reading Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, or Dr. Atkins NEW Diet Revolution, or something even newer than that? He updates them yearly, I think I read the New Diet Revolution, that gives you 20 carbs per day on induction, which you should not stick to for very long before increasing. It's about a change of eating habits for life, not for a short time. When you increase your intake and can still lose weight, you don't feel so deprived, which is wonderful! Plus, you will be better able to stick with this for life.

This is me, stepping off my soapbox. Good luck in whatever plan you choose to follow!

Sherrie
213: Weight on day I delivered dd (Whooshed past on 7/6/10)
200: Weight on day I went home from hospital after delivering dd (MET!! 1/24/11)
180: Lowest weight ever as an adult
170: Initial goal weight (subject to change)