Old 04-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Asparagus is scary!

My husband and son love it, but this is one of the very few veggies that I don't like. I can handle little bits sauteed with my food (aka HIDDEN) but overall, I don't like it. I used to, until I tried a recipe where it was very smelly and mushy. Since then, I haven't really liked it.

Also, has anybody tried white asparagus? Any difference in flavor/texture?
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #2  

It took me a while to get used to healthy asparagus. BHL (before healthy lifestyle) I used to like it with melted butter as a dipping sauce, or preferably with hollandaise. Now I love it nekkid, or with a sesame/soya sauce.

I have tried white asparagus, and it's lovely, but it's too like normal asparagus for you to like it, I think! It's ok to not like all veggies!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #3  
with my mind on my monkey

Mushy asparagus does sound scary - but crisp, grilled asparagus is delicious! I cook mine on the George Foreman Grill with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and garlic salt (of course you could also use cooking spray or olive oil and your choice of seasonings). You can also steam asparagus to retain the firm texture - just be careful not to overcook it as that's what makes it soft.
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #4  
it's always something

Gee, Jennifer, I was going to grill asparagus for you this week! You'll just have to cook something for me instead

I've never tried white asparagus. I've never seen it fresh, just in jars and it looks pretty gross.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #5  

I forgot about asparagus on the George (we won't get asparagus on this side of the pond for a month or so yet), it's great done like that!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #6  

I love asparagus but try to limit the quantity due to the after affects of it. Girls I hope you know what I mean. You know when you pee it smells weird from it . I know its gross. But you know someone had to bring it up LOL
AvsGirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #7  
fighting the sugar demon!

S/C/G: 281/263.9/190

Height: 5'8.5

OOO thanks for the idea. I never thought about cooking it on the grill. I have been roasting it in olive oil with garlic and italian seasoning lately. Yum...and before I did this I swore I would try it one more time and that was it. since then I have made it at least 2 more times.

Never tried white asparagus...as I haven't found it in our grocery yet. One of this days I may brave Whole Foods and see what I can find there.

Don't let one time ruin for you forever. As the memory fades Im betting you will find your taste for it again.
irisheyes213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #8  
Determined

It's really good baked in the oven with lemon juice, pepper and some feta cheese melted on top. The feta has such a strong flavor I don't taste the asparagus too much.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #9  

Asparagus is one of the few veggies that I do like! I started out eating it in those teeny asparagus sandwiches at church socials then I tried it alone and it was so good I planted some in the garden. (then I pulled it out because I thought it was a weed ) I have never seen white asparagus, but if it is as expensive as the regular then I won't be getting it anytime soon. The price wont go down for another few months unfortunately.

cheers, cj
CeeJaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:14 PM   #10  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I am curious about the difference in nutrients in regular green asparagus vs the white. Anyone know?

Grilled or roasted with olive oil, garlic, and a little sea salt.. yum yum.. I cook enough to have later as a snack or to take to work the next day.

Last edited by Jayde; 04-09-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #11  
with my mind on my monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
Grilled or roasted with olive oil, garlic, and a little sea salt.. yum yum.. I cook enough to have later as a snack or to take to work the next day.
Leftover asparagus is also great in a quiche or an omelet
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:21 PM   #12  
it's always something

I just read that green asparagus is more nutritious than white.

Quote:
Neither green nor white asparagus can be said to be superior to the other. Their organoleptic characteristics and culinary uses are different, but green asparagus does have greater nutritional value. The white surpasses the green only in total sugar content, so has more calories. Both types of asparagus have a high content of the anti-oxidizing vitamin A and C and of group B vitamins including folic acid. The high levels of potassium and calcium phosphate make asparagus particularly good for bone structure. The anthocyans, which are responsible for the purplish coloring of the green asparagus, protect the cardiovascular system. They increase in quantity as the colors become more intense, as does rutin which is known to provide protection against radiation and to assist in blood clotting. It is also a precursor of B complex vitamins. Saponins are responsible for the diuretic effects of asparagus and have a high fiber content. With respect to organoleptic characteristics, green asparagus has a more intense aroma than the white and its flavor is stronger and slightly sweet. Whereas white asparagus always needs to be peeled before cooking, the green does not. It has a fleshy texture and is firmer than the white after peeling.
http://www.laespanolameats.com/Merch...reen=asparagus

I just roasted asparagus for dinner and I put too much salt on it
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #13  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Wow! Thanks for the info, Suzanne. I suspected that the green would be more nutritious knowing that dark green vegetables and orange vegetables tend to be more nutritious. I had no idea that white aparagus had to be peeled. YIKES.. you've saved me from making the mistake of buying it just to try it.

(still chuckling everytime I see your avatar!)
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #14  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGirly
I love asparagus but try to limit the quantity due to the after affects of it. Girls I hope you know what I mean. You know when you pee it smells weird from it . I know its gross. But you know someone had to bring it up LOL
HAHAHAHAHA!! Wait no really- does it do that? I never had asparagus in my life! I just looked at it once and someone told me that it had a nice crunchiness to it like broccoli (my fav veggie!!!) and its available fresh or canned from where i live. SOmeone confirm this! I've never heard that it had an after effect!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #15  
WW Moderator

Suzanne, they have white asparagus at Food City sometimes. I didn't know that purplish asparagus was good! I thought that was when it was overripe. Silly me!

Thanks for all of the good ideas. I'll give it a try again.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote