Old 04-06-2006, 04:53 PM   #1  
Radio Girl

Default At the half-way point and depressed

I know this may sound odd...but even though I've lost 29.6 pounds I feel like I actually look heavier than before and I'm depressed. My clothes are very baggy and everything seems to be 'hanging out'...when they were tighter they acted more like a girdle. I can't afford new clothes everytime my size changes...but my 'fat' clothes look ridiculous. I know I should be happy with my success so far...I just feel like a big 'lump' in my baggie pants and shirts. Someone at work yesterday told me I look like a clown. I know they meant it in a nice way...but I'm very particular about my appearance and this is very hard on me. can anyone else relate?
Radio Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #2  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Sorry you are having a hard time. Have you gone to try on smaller clothes just for fun, not to buy? That always cheers me up. Also look for cheap clothes on Ebay while you transition, or check out thrift stores. I am buying everything cheap right now, since I don't plan on being in this size very long. Don't be sad, though. You have lost 30 lbs, that is so great. My 3 year is almost 30 lbs, so you have lost a small child so far. Keep your chin up, and dig up some photos of you 30 lbs ago. You will see how cool the results are.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #3  

Radio-

Honey - STOP IT!!!! You should be SO proud of yourself!!!!! Do you have a good Goodwill or thrift store? That's what I did - also Ross or Marshall. Even one pair jeans, one pants, and a few tops could make your spirits improve - and you KNOW you get to buy a smaller size! You've come SOOO far!!

Pat yourself on the back - 30 lbs is a huge accomplishment. I'm envious!

Hugs,
A.
pinkflamingo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

Try Walmart..

Their clothing is pretty reasonably priced, especially when it is on clearance.
space99s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #5  
Bird Nerd

I have noticed that I sometimes feel worse about myself as I am losing - it is like I am more critical of my body. I guess it is because I am paying more attention to it and suddenly my double chin gets on my nerves more. I just remind myself that I am getting smaller and I am definitely a lot healthier. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone on your thinking. Good luck and congrats on the weight loss!!!
wildlifebio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #6  
Radio Girl

Thanks everyone. We do have a Goodwill in town so maybe I'll look there. My biggest mistake was getting so excited about going down one size that I went a little crazy and bought too much new stuff. And now that stuff is all too big and I think my DH will shoot me if I say I need new clothes again.
Bird Nerd: Thanks for the post. I am so sick of my double chin too. I try not to beat myself up too much...but, really, how did I let it get so out of control?
Thanks Goodness for LAWL! At least I feel like I'm doing something positive now.
Radio Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

I hear ya! I went from a 18/20 to a 2/4...I havent had a consistent wardrobe in two years and every year before that I was in maternity clothes! I am thrilled now to be able to buy clothes I KNOW will last and last. In the meantime, do as the others suggested. I cant stand wearing too big clothes.
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #8  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

When I feel this way (and believe me, I have), I go to my favorite store and try on new clothes. I don't even buy them...just feels good to know that I am smaller. When I do need smaller clothes, I buy a few staples (black pants, jeans, t-shirts). I don't work at an office, I stay at home, so it is easier for me int hat respect. Definitely check out thrift stores or ask friends/family. Sell your bigger clothes on ebay to make money for some smaller ones. I've done that and plus size clothes sell extremely well. You may not get everything back, but it will help. On pants...Try to wear a belt for one size. I started at 18/20, but wore that size until they literally would wiggle off my body while I was walking up our stairs (at the stop of the stairs I'd be mooning whoever was behind me). I bought a snug (but not gross) pair of 16s. Now I can get into any 14 I want, but I'm not going to buy a paif of 14 jeans if I can help it. I want to wait until I am a 12.
Dairy Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 4"

I had the same problem with my clothes. I wouldn't buy until I went down at least two sizes. I would even roll up my pants in the waist to keep them from sagging so bad in the butt. Then when I did buy clothes, I would only buy just enough for a week. Now I can buy whatever I want and not have to worry...

I went from a tight 18 to an 8.
MetalChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #10  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

One good thing...you can usually get regular sized clothes cheaper than plus size!
Dairy Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #11  
slowlyshrinking

I can only agree with what everybody has said. You're doing a great job - just keep at it. Try to have some clothes that fit - I've been getting by with one pair of khakis, one pair of black slacks, and a pair of jeans - I have to wear half-nice clothes each day. And sort of skipping a size for one them each time I go down - then at least something fits! I also found a consignment store a couple of weeks ago, and bought some nice tops for really cheap. Since I'm planning to lose more, I just have to have enough to get by. And when Target had a sale on a style of pants I like, I bought 10s, 12s and 14s! I'm such an optimist!
slowlyshrinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #12  
My 3 grandkids & myself

S/C/G: 228.4/191/145

I recently went to a thrift store and I haven't shopped at them in years, but was impressed how nice the slacks were that I bought. I tried them on there, since you can't bring them back. I feel like I'm doing better because my clothes fit me better and that is how people are noticing me losing. The only time I wear my larger clothes now is to weigh in because some of the tops are real light weight and they swim on me and I just laugh. Everybody has given you some great suggestions. Hope things get better for you and try and be proud of your great accomplishments so far.
Gamababa3 is offline   Reply With Quote