Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/216/170

Default Pilates infomercial

Hi, this is my first post on 3FC! My husband and I were watching TV last night and saw a Pilates infomercial for a set of videos and a ring thing (forgot what they called it) for like $10 + s/h and of course they are kind enough to send you new workouts every other month after....lol. My question is, they qaurantee you'll lose a dress or pant size in 10 days... has anyone done pilates and noticed these drastic results. I didnt buy it expecting to achieve this because it seems abit un real to me, but seeing even half that in 10 days would blow me away! Thanks for your input in advance.
Ahammondtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #2  
it's always something

Hi

A lot of our members do pilates, but from what I've noticed, most say that it doesn't really help with weight loss, but does help with flexibility. I do pilates with a pilates reformer (the machine on the floor) and I love the way it makes me feel, but it doesn't burn enough calories to help me lose weight. I still have to do other types of exercises, such as using my treadmill.

I think the claim of losing a dress size in 10 days is pretty extreme. The program probably comes with a low fat diet plan that you have to follow to lose the weight. It's hard to tell. Do you recall what the name of the program was? I think Winsor Pilates is the most popular pilates infomercial.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

When I do pilates on a regular basis I notice more flexibililty and better posture. My core does seem to tighten, the abs and tummy area but for weight loss I don't think it will work alone. It's a little too low key for that.

You'll have to let us know how it works. Maybe this is a more intense style of pilates.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #4  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I do pilates as well and I think it helps more with flex & toning I didn't lose weight until I started doing more strenuous workouts.

Plus you know that rule, if it sounds too good to be true.... you probably have to do their plan & eat plan to a tee to get any guarantee yes?
Cafe Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I agree with all the above ... Pilates is great, makes you feel good, improves posture and flexibility, strengthens and gives a feeling of lengthing the body "from within" ... but it seems unrealistic to claim that Pilates vids will help you lose a size in 10 days ... however, the effect of doing Pilates correctly really IS that the stomach flattens out (because you are strengthening and lengthening the deepest ab muscle that runs below the area that traditional crunches target).

However, if these are Mari Windsor pilates tapes you are referring to, they are good tapes (in my opinion) and you might like them ... it's just that a dress size in 10 days may not be on the horizon.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #6  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I do Windsor pilates, and when done correctly it can do amazing things to your body. Pilates digs deep into your muscle, I am more sore after doing pilates than I am when I work out with weights. The movements are so controlled. Of course I do the advanced body sculpting and its an hour long, I dont know about anyone else, but I break a sweat doing pilates, I also do aerobic activity on alternate days. Im an advocate of pilates though, its done amazing things to my body. Its helped be to become very strong... I can do a head stand thanks to pilates ( which will give you a major surge of energy, of course thats more yoga) Whether or not you are down a pant size I dont know but you WILL see a change in your body. Did they say 10 days, or 10 work outs. I know Mari has a win in 10 program but thats eatting, and I just never have been into the whole diet program hoop-la
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/216/170

It's the Mari Windsor program.... I am looking forward to try it once it arrives.... I was just curious if anyone thought it was all magical as the infomercial tried to make it seem to be. It does include a cook book I believe, so we'll see. Thanks.
Ahammondtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

the windsor program comes with a little 10-day (or so) meal-guide. it seems very low-cal to me, maybe 1200 cal/day and low carb. her plan is to do pilates everyday and walk some, too. so maybe if you were previously sedentary and switch to that diet, you could lose a size... i would never be able to maintain that diet because i run and do the elliptical.

but i do like pilates. i feel stronger, and it relaxes me in the way yoga does. helps alot with flexibility, too. i think the windsor tapes are good-- especially as a supplement to a program that includes cardio and weights. maybe once i get rid of some of the belly chub i will find it helps develop a 6-pack

the "model" exercisers annoy the crud out of me though! they move like mannequinns with smiles glazed on their faces.
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #9  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

lol they are ( and you too) are supposed to move like mannequinns, only my face looks more like this when I am doing it minus the bike

Their bodies make me sick too...heffers
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote