General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #1  
Loz

Red face So... GI... a w.o.e or just a fad???

Hi all,

I'm in a dilemma - and I would like to get your opinion on something... is the GI diet a w.o.e or just a fad?

loz
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Depends on who you ask--some think it's phooey, and some will swear by it. You just have to try and find out what works for you since we are all so different I've never paid much attention to it, but it seems that 9 times out of 10, those who eliminate (or at least limit) refined carb intake not only lose some weight, but also feel much better.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:34 AM   #3  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

i don't think its a fad. the cabbage soup diet is a fad.

low GI encourages you to eat food that is basically less processed so encompasses many of the popular plans out there. pretty much imagine what you would have eaten, i guess, 50 years ago before all these low fat, high sugar products were on the market. over processed bread, snack foods, etc.

the concept is to intake low GI foods which keep you feeling fuller for longer. it slows the increase in blood glucose and insulin levels which (according to the diet) are what induced the hunger and binging roller coaster.

ie, instead of white *processed* bread, opt for whole grain. alot of the diet is common sense. eat what is not processed. it is not low carb, low fat or high protein.

i think it is a good base for beginning to learn more about food and how you can eat to live, not live to eat.

Last edited by Daisy Boo; 04-04-2006 at 05:41 AM.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/205/175

Hi, I'm new! I just started the GI diet today to give my body a break from Atkins. It makes sense when you read the book....but I'm not overly optimistic yet.
I'll keep you posted
polka-dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I really think that knowledge is power in the world of nutrition.
I agree with the others that there are some aspects of GI that are common knowledge and widely used. It's certainly always better for you to eat whole natural foods that release energy slowly and consistantly.
There's a thread by Charles that has something to do with this idea. I'll see if I can find it.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

here it is ...... http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82157
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote