Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #1  

Default Wave 1 -Greek Burgers

Vegetable or chicken stock
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red onion, 1/2 chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced
1 box, 10 ounces, frozen spinach, defrosted
1 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 pound feta crumbles - I used fat free. Either use fat free or low fat
1 pound ground chicken or ground turkey breast
1 tablespoon grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
1/3 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced lengthwise
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced lengthwise
Salt and pepper
Whole wheat rolls of some sort
1 cup arugula, coarsely chopped or shredded - spinach would work or any lettucey stuff

Topping:
2 roasted red peppers, drained
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, a generous handful
1/4 cup 10 to 12 pitted kalamata olives
Hot pepper rings or pepperoncini, optional I found a marvelous red pepper and eggplant spread at Trader Joe's so I used that instead

Saute onion and garlic in a pan with a little stock to prevent sticking. Add more as needed. Saute ~5 minutes. Transfer the onions and garlic to a bowl to cool. Return pan to heat.

Wring the defrosted spinach dry buy twisting it in a clean kitchen towel over your sink. Separate the spinach as you add it to the bowl with cool onions, garlic and season with 1 teaspoon of oregano. Add in feta crumbles then chicken or turkey, grill seasoning . Mix and form into 4 patties, 1-inch thick. Raise heat on pan to medium-high. Add patties and cook 6 inches on each side.

Season the sliced cucumbers and tomatoes with salt and pepper. Toast rolls, if you prefer.

Place red peppers, parsley and olives in food processor, season with salt and pepper and process until a paste forms. Place cooked burgers on roll bottoms. Top the burgers with sliced cucumber, tomato, reserved red onions, shredded arugula. Slather roll tops with red pepper and olive paste.

This made absolutely HUGE burgers so you could easily get 6 out of this, but I made four and let the meat /veggie mixture hang over the side of the bun
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:41 PM   #2  

Hi Linda

These burgers sound great. But is it okay to have the bun - would that be more than 20% grains? Do you think that even a small bun would be about 40%?
Julesh
julesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:40 PM   #3  

Small buns would be fine. If you have a concern, have it open faced. Or make the burgers log shaped and roll in a whole wheat tortilla.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:48 AM   #4  

Thanks Linda
julesh is offline   Reply With Quote