Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-29-2006, 08:00 AM   #1  
ugggg.....

Default Total Gym VS Bowflex

Which is better?
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #2  
it's always something

It's probably a personal choice, and may depend on your current level of fitness and your goals, and even how much space you have. Consumer Reports reviewed both of them in January, 2004, along with several other infomercial type products. If you are a CR subscriber, you can access the full report on their website. I can copy a snippet of it here, though, in case it helps.

There are several models of each, and CR only tested one model of each machine - usually the larger and more expensive versions. For example. the Total Gym has models that are as cheap as $200, but they chose one that cost $1598 to review. Since the moves are basically the same, the review should still be helpful.

BOWFLEX POWER PRO XTLU, $1,750
The product: Strength training for upper and lower body; rowing-machine function can provide aerobic exercise. For resistance, uses composite rods of varying thickness. Includes training video. Six-week money-back guarantee, but you pay to return, and there’s no refund on original shipping. Warranty: 5 years on components, lifetime on resistance rods.

The claims: Nothing could be easier. Circuit training on the Bowflex 20 minutes a day, three days a week--that’s all it takes.

The reality: Behold the loose language. True, doing “nothing” could be easier. And “all it takes” for what to happen? Bowflex provides a wide variety of strength-training exercises. Its design allows very good range of motion. The training video is excellent. But the rods may take getting used to. Resistance is very easy at first, very tough at the end. You must bend rods almost fully to get the marked weight. Cables attached to rods can be pulled at various angles: Take care to use proper form. It took our engineer two hours to assemble the machine.

The bottom line: Effective but pricey. More compact and easier to move than a home gym with metal weights.

TOTAL GYM XL, $1,598 • 800-220-6481
Total Gym XL.

The product: You adjust the incline of a sliding bench to change resistance, which ranges from about 10 to 50 percent of your body weight. Use a cable-and-pulley system to hoist yourself up the incline. Four videos and diet included, plus a helpful flip chart showing exercises. Sixty-day free trial. Warranty: Lifetime on frame, 2 years on other parts.

The claims: Replace a gym’s worth of equipment with just one piece of equipment that does it all.

The reality: You get various exercises, but it doesn’t duplicate all other devices, especially weight-bearing aerobic ones. Very good body position and range of motion. Very fit people may need to add more resistance; an optional weight bar costs $20 plus the cost of weights. Folds compactly for storage.

The bottom line: Easy to use, versatile. A viable strength-training alternative, especially for users with low to moderate fitness. But pricey.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:40 AM   #3  
twinsplusone

S/C/G: 288/257/200

Talking

I have a total gym 1500. I LOVE IT!!!! It is easy to use and you definately feel like you got a workout the next morning. If you're interested in pilates which you can do on this machine, you need to get at least the 1500 model. The earlier ones are not compatible with the equipment. You can get the 1500 for about $350.00 which is a lot better than 15oo.oo! Also if you weigh more than 275, you need to get the 1500 model as it has the greatest weight capacity. As far as the bow flex goes, I've never used one. I just wanted to give what I hope was helpful info. OH!!! I wanted to let you know also...if you are interested in a total gym.....there is a company called bayou fitness that has a more than comparable machine for about the same price range. In fact I've been considering getting one myself. The bayou fitness models have a sturdier looking construction and a wider longer sliding board. Just a thought. Good Luck!!!
twinsplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #4  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I have the Bowflex Ultimate -- I love it!
Cafe Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:51 PM   #5  
ugggg.....

My hubby is 6'2' would that cause any problems on either??
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:06 AM   #6  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

No, he shouldn't -- Mine is also 6'2" and he has no problems with the bowflex
Cafe Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1216 View Post
Which is better?
I owned the bowflex and now own a total gym, I really enjoy the total gym more. The bowflex lacked fluid movement, whereas the total gym is very fluid in movement. The only advantage to the bowflex is that you can do better leg extensions and curls. The total gym however, wins on every other level.
mrthrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:55 AM   #8  

I am using the Total Gym XLS )
RobertHall is offline   Reply With Quote