South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-23-2006, 02:38 PM   #1  
Tara

S/C/G: 178/172/140

Height: 5'5

Default Breakfast Cheesecake

OK...so I decided to make some yesterday cause eggs were getting to be too much! I halfed the recipe and used sweet n low instead of splenda. Halfway through making it I forgot that I was cutting the recipe in half and went over with the sweet n low. I took quite a bit out (it was piled ontop of the cream cheese) but when all was said and done it had an awful after taste! I ended up throwing them away. Do you think I'd do better with splenda or shouldn't it matter? Thanks for your input!
tar675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #2  
Goal: A Healthy Me

Height: 5' 6"

I think you'd definitely do better with the splenda. I don't think it has an aftertaste at all. This recipe is one of my favorites!
Kelly J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

What a shame. Isn't it a hassle when you expect a recipe to be pretty good to turn out bad? Definatetly use the splenda. I've always noticed an aftertaste when I use sweet n low. Did you use too much sweet n low?

Quote:
http://www.sweetnlow.com/faqs/cooking.html

How is Sweet'N Low used to replace sugar in cooking and baking?
In recipes for sweetened sauces and beverages, all the sugar can be replaced with an equivalent amount of Sweet'N Low. Recipes for most baked goods require some sugar for proper volume and texture. For best results, experiment by substituting half the sugar in a recipe with the equivalent amount of Sweet'N Low, as shown in this chart:
Substitution Chart Packets Bulk Liquid
1/4 cup granulated sugar 6 2 teaspoons 1 1/2 teaspoons
1/3 cup granulated sugar 8 2 1/2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons
1/2 cup granulated sugar 12 4 teaspoons 1 tablespoon
1 cup granulated sugar 24 8 teaspoons 2 tablespoons

Please note that the substitution chart above is provided as a guide only. Use your own personal taste preferences to determine the amount of Sweet'N Low needed to provide the sweetness level you like.

How is Sweet'N Low used?
Sweet'N Low is ideal for tabletop use and dissolves easily in hot and cold beverages. Sweet'N Low can be used as an ingredient for most of your favorite recipes and is useful in cooking, baking, freezing, and preserving. Unlike other sugar substitutes, such as those that contain aspartame, Sweet'N Low does not lose its sweetness when it is heated, so there are no special processes required for substituting Sweet'N Low for sugar.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:21 PM   #4  
Tara

S/C/G: 178/172/140

Height: 5'5

thanks sarah and kelly! I use sweet n low for my iced tea and coffee and I don't mind it at all but in the cheese cake it was a bit much! I haven't been able to bring myself to buy splenda because it seems so expensive! Guess I'll just have to break down and get some anyway. I'm such a cheapskate when it comes to certain things. Well, take care girlies!
tar675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:33 PM   #5  

I am with you on the sweet n low. I use it in my tea and coffee also, but I use Splenda for everything else. It really does work better in baking/cooking...it is more like real sugar. Unfortunatly, I was hooked on sweet n low a long time ago.
amelie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 317/305/160

Height: 5'7"

I use stevia. I find that a packet of stevia (this isn't the pure stuff, but rather the "single serve" little packets) equals 2 packets of equal, splenda or s&L. I like it because it isn't artificial. Err on the side of too little - it has a bitter taste in high doses - and you can always add more, but it is hard to take it out. It is expensive, but a little goes a long way.
Lyndyn is offline   Reply With Quote