Old 03-21-2006, 09:30 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

Lightbulb Anyone want to help me plan my party menu?

Just for fun...post any ideas for a outdoor birthday lunch for a little boy. I need to serve food that kids and adults will like, running the gammut from big appetite guys to lil ol ladies and kids 2-16. I want to serve things that are EASY prep, right out the fridge and little preparation. Any ideas for appetizers, different salads or such, send them my way!
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 PM   #2  
Megan

S/C/G: 196/188/160

LOVE veggie trays with a lite dip or something others will enjoy. Or maybe a spinach salad with strawberries and maybe some type of nut with a nice sweet vingeraette. Maybe some type of roll up with a tortilla and some cheese lettuce tomato and a meat. I know you probably cant have them but maybe little smokies or meatballs those are a huge hit with the guys in my family. If we dont have either of those at a get together they are disappointed. Or maybe even some type of sugar free jello. I know it can be a pain if you have a lot of people but what about just good old fashioned burgers or chicken breast. Maybe hot dogs for the little ones or mini hamburgers?! Just a few ideas. I hope others can be much more helpful than me.
30lbsby22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 PM   #3  

Some things that are big at our house/parties:

1. Pigs in blanket (kids love)with the little smokie sausage in 1/4 of ref. crescent dough

2. Smoked salmon for the grownups-right outta the wrapper, with bagel chips, sour cream or cream cheese, elegant and easy and healthy somewhat

3. An ancient recipe of my grandma's called Chalupa that mixes refried beans (canned) and shredded chicken (canned is fine), then heat the beans, cut up lett, tom, grated cheese (outta the bag) to top the bean mixture with, and serve the whole mess over FRITOS. With salsa. People devour this stuff.

4. Mini-bagel pizzas?

5. YEAH. Show THIS list to your Counselor....teehee...

Ange
pinkflamingo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #4  
Princess Heather

ok deets....I love party planning! I can't wait for warmer weather to have some parties!

How about, hold on for this one, Macoroni and Cheese pizza! Kids flock to it! or mini "cheeseburger pizzas on mini bagels. A nice fruit pizza. Meatballs in bbq sauce, any of the pampered chef braids or rings are a great party food and lastly Taco dips! If you need more suggestions..just let me know!
CandlePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #5  
1dayatatime(on LAWL)

S/C/G: 262/182/160

The pink sald posted in the recipe thread is always a hit at family gathering with young and old!
angelica1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #6  
LAWL,nursing,red,no lites

S/C/G: 168/143/135 pre baby stats

Height: 5'1"

My DS 5th b-day is in April and I'm planning on making the OP hot beef sandwiches I posted awhile back. I think most adults and kids will like this. I also think the recipe will be easy to multiply by using a beef roast instead. I think I'll just make it the day before and reheat it in the crook pot.
dawn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #7  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Creme puffs or eclairs are so easy and cheap. They also look like you are a gourmet. Once when we blessed one of our babies we had a Fiesta. I made beans, rice, enchiladas, tacos, and one of my daycare moms helped me make tamales. Then I bought a Tres Leche cake from Sams Club. Have you ever had one of those? OMG! We had a big pinata for the kids. It was very fun, and the food was unbelieveable.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 120

How about small PB & J sandwiches for the children and adults if they like. More suggestions are: devil eggs and crackers and cheese
snoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #9  
Katie

One time in college we put on a luncheon for our moms. I was in the Home Economic Department. We baked bread in round cake pans, sliced the round loaves in half, made huge sandwiches with meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, olives, etc. and frosted the sandwiches with "Icing" made with cream cheese, mayo, and butter. They were so cool. We topped them with fresh flowers, and they really looked like beautiful cakes. That would be a lot of work for a barbeque, but for another time, a very cool idea. There is a little diner here called Big Juds. They make this huge, one pound burger. They also bake their buns in round cake pans, then make a huge burger out of them. You could make 1 lb patties to grill and do that. Add oven fries, rootbeer floats, and viola!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #10  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Is this really a thread about planning a party menu, or just an excuse to fantasize about all the food that we can't eat?
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:23 PM   #11  
Katie

Yep, you guessed it! I can't even start on dessert ideas, or may end up in the state mental hospital!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #12  

<<<<<<<<Laughin' out loud at Julie Marie
pinkflamingo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #13  
Princess Heather

Juliemarie....it's all about the food isn't?? LOL We are living our food fantasy lives through Deets' party planning!
CandlePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #14  
1dayatatime(on LAWL)

S/C/G: 262/182/160

I make a taco salad thats all in one bowl. Its really good, my DH family makes it at EVERY holiday. 1lb ground beef cooked with taco seasoning(cooled, I even make this the night before),about 1 head of lettuce,1-2 cans of kidney beans (optional),1 pkg shredded cheese(or more if you like cheese alot),1-2 fresh tomatoes(optional) 1 big bag of crushed doritos, 1 bottle thousand island dressing(more or less, just enough to coat everything good),Mix everything together, serve! When I first met my husband family and we had this I thought gross!! But it was actually good, Now 6 years later I love it and must have it every holiday. Its also good the next day(thats when my husband likes it best) but the chips dont have their crunch anymore and I happen to love the crunch
angelica1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #15  
LAWL,nursing,red,no lites

S/C/G: 168/143/135 pre baby stats

Height: 5'1"

Deets – Did you ever come up with a menu for the party? Just curious and seeing if I can “steal” any of your ideas for my party.
dawn78 is offline   Reply With Quote