South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #1  

Default South Beach and Slimfast

Hi, I had success in the past on Atkins, had a baby gained it back. But now I am bored with Atkins but like the things I learned. I was wondering if I could do Southbeach and combine it with a modified slimfast, i.e. drink two slimfast a day and southbeach type dinner with snacks? I know you can have two-three cups of dairy a day in phase one and I wondered if it would be okay to count the two slim fast as the dairy since they are made with fat free milk. And if you are wondering I wanted to use slim fast because with work and a young baby it is so much easier to grab two slim fast and a snack for the day and prepare a dinner...Any help is greatly appreciated-plus I have a lot to lose 80lbs gained in pregnancy after losing close to a 100lbs...ugh!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #2  

In a word No. The primary ingredient in Slimfast is sugar. A foundation principle of Southbeach is to severly limited processed foods.. and stabilize your blood sugar through eating foods in lower GI and GI loads. Here is an extract on slimfast from http://www.ultimatefatburner.com/rev...fast-diet.html

So what's in a Slim Fast diet shake?

The 4 main ingredients are skim milk, sugar, fructose, and cocoa. In other words, milk, sugar, and sugar. Other ingredients include various vegetable oils, emulsifiers, and a dubious vitamin blend. A 375ml (1.5 cups) shake contains 12 grams of protein -- slightly less than what you'd obtain drinking the same amount of 1% low-fat milk. This same shake contains 38 grams of carbohydrates -- 20 grams more than if you drank the equivalent amount of 1% low-fat milk (with those additional carbs coming from the added sugar). Considering that milk contains significant amounts of vitamins A and D, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Calcium, Phosphorous, Magnesium and Zinc, I'd suggest that you chuck the Slim Fast shakes (vitamin blend and all), and simply drink milk instead.

OK... that's problem number 1 -- the shakes are little more than an expensive, sugar-laden milk supplement.
What's Wrong with the Slim Fast diet?

The daily caloric limit is set so low as to be detrimental to any long term weight loss success (each shake contains 240 calories. Couple two with a normal dinner consisting of a chicken breast, baked potato and vegetable, add a snack or two a day and you're looking at anywhere between 1000 - 1200 calories per day).

Good luck- Ihope you reconsider your approach and read the SB book or other healthy diet plans - many of us have alot of weight to lose.-but also realize that we have to change our eating habits and lifestyles to continue to lose in a healthy way and maintain that loss
Old 03-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #3  

Default thanks

Thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #4  

I usually keep my SB guidebook with me in my purse. But of coarse, today i did not. I recall something from slim fast was okay, but it definately was not the shake. I'll look it up tonight when I get home and let you know tomorrow.

I hear what you are saying, though. You want something easy to take with you. You might try the SB cereal bars. They worked pretty good for me for breakfast for quite a while. I've since switch to high fiber cereal and just use the cereal bars for a snack. I take them with me when I'm going to be gone from the house for a while (helping out at bingo). So when everyone else gets that piece of cake, I just whip out my cereal bar.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #5  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

The lc Adkins shakes are listed as "good" for all phases of the SBD in TGCGF guide. I use the slimfast lc shakes occasionally. The ingredients are similar to the adkins and they are sweetened with splenda and have very little saturated fat in them. Of course, they are not appropriate to regularly depend on in place of real food, but in a pinch they can work. I keep some in my desk in my office in case I get in a pinch or something. They taste nasty and way too sweet, IMO, but are better than drive through and have less sugar than the SBD meal replacement bars. So, in otherwords, I'd only recommend occasional use in place of worse choices.

Remember, whole foods will make you healthier and lose faster. Any processed food can slow down or stall your weightloss even if there is no sugar in them.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #6  

Thanks for the builds and input Pearsy and PRoud mom: I learned something New!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 05:32 PM   #7  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

No problem, Schatzi! I should have made it clearer in my earlier post that the only slimfast shake that is OK is the low carb one. The other ones, even the higher protein ones, are nothing but sugary junk and a definite no-no...like you said.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 425/395/250

Cool What a relief!!!

This was such a relief for me. I am usually very busy and sometimes I do grab a Low Carb Slimfast and it worked for me. I had researched all the ingredients in it and didnt find anything anti-SB so I was stunned when it was said we couldn't use it. Thanks for clarifying that....
Old 03-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #9  

Thanks for all the posts, I too should have stipulated the low carb slim fast...
Closed Thread