Old 03-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #1  
I'm with the band

S/C/G: 170/165/120

Talking Induction Phase: How much did you lose?

Just wondering.

I have done the Atkins a couple of times, just to lose weight for special events and such, I lack the willpower for any longer. How much weight in the induction phase did you lose? Due to the large amount of carbohydrates I was consuming, then going to almost none (I stayed under 10g), I went from being 175 to 155 in 2 weeks. I was soooooo weak though. If only I could do that again, without the fatigue. Good Luck All!

I think calorie counting is more for me because I need my carbs for the gym

Anyone else lose a lot in their induction phase?
Rehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #2  
TemporaryFatChick

Atkins isn't a crash diet, it's a way of eating for life. Using this or any other plan for a short time, going back to your old ways and gaining, going back to Atkins, etc. is a bad idea. Yo-yo dieting is great way to cause permanent damage to your metabolism and your body.
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #3  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee
Atkins isn't a crash diet, it's a way of eating for life. Using this or any other plan for a short time, going back to your old ways and gaining, going back to Atkins, etc. is a bad idea. Yo-yo dieting is great way to cause permanent damage to your metabolism and your body.
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:46 PM   #4  

Well Said!
M&Gmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #5  
I'm with the band

Cool

I am fully aware that the Atkins is not a "crash diet." My father has been on the "lifestyle" for many years and has since lost 60 pounds. I was just inquiring to the results of your induction phase, I was not promoting it as a "crash diet". I have used it only in times of great need such as before a cruise and before a school formal, with intentions of remaining on the "lifestyle plan." I fully understand that it should not be used that way and I have suffered metabolically for the unresponsible removal of myself from this plan. I can no longer do the Atkins, as my body does not respond. I just wanted to have knowledge of the response others have recieved from such a lifestyle. So, as I previously questioned, how much did you lose during your induction phase? =]
Old 03-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #6  
TemporaryFatChick

[QUOTE]I have done the Atkins a couple of times, just to lose weight for special events and such, I lack the willpower for any longer.QUOTE]
If you know that this is true, then please don't do low carb, it's very bad for your health. Choose a plan that you can actually stick to for life.

FYI
While you are free to ask a question, I am not obligated to answer it. I'm certainly not going to do or say anything to encourage you in behavior that is going to ruin your health, it would be irresponsible and downright immoral on my part.

Tenn
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #7  
Baby Steps

I see this as an innocent question of someone truly understanding what she's doing to her body. As she already believes she can no longer do Atkins I see no reason NOT to answer. I also see no reason to tell a person who is addicted to carbs to try some other way to lose weight. Just as I would not tell an alcoholic to continue drinking while trying to quit that habit--or a drug abuser not to try treatment again and again if the first time failed.

When I first started Atkins, I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. In 6 months had lost 30 pounds. But I wasn't exercising (and still am not) like I should. And I read that you DO need a bit more carbs while doing gym workouts. Yes, Atkins is hard to adjust to because it's not "normal" eating in today's society. May I ask why you're asking (if you say you can't do Atkins anymore....just curious about others success??) about how much people have lost??
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #8  
I'm with the band

-I know what I said and I am certainly now fully aware of the tone that came off from my first statement. Apologies to anyone that I have affronted.

-I did not state that you were duty-bound to respond to my inquiry, I was simply offering a topic of discussion.

-Yes, I am just merely curious about what others have lost? I am an extremely inquisitive being and I was just instigating a matter of conversation.

-And I send my sincerest congratulations to those who have escalated their physical well being to the upper part of their list of imperative issues in their life.

-I am now on a different lifestyle plan where I am reducing my caloric intake and increasing the amount of exercise that I partake in. I also am afflicted by a potassium deficiency, which I realize is found in many Atkins approved items, but I prefer to get my potassium from fruits. *gotta love those muscle spasms*

-I am dismayed by the fact that I have created such a hullabaloo and feel that I must now rethink and revise my posts more often so that they do not “come off” as foolish.

GOOD LUCK ALL!
Old 03-15-2006, 01:56 PM   #9  
Baby Steps

I don't feel you owe anyone an apology for being curious. We're all in the weight loss venture together. Whether we're doing Atkins, South Beach, Calorie reduction or Slim Fast. We just need to remember EVERYONE needs support and encouragement!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #10  
Susan hockeyfan7

Rehr, you have a right to be curious. The deal is that we don't want you to harm yourself doing Atkins as a short two week way to drop some pounds and then go back to what you were doing before.

From what I remember (and it's been 6 years ago), I lost about 10-12 lbs during the first two weeks of Induction.

I have such a nutrient deficiency right now from having Celiac disease that I do a modified low-carb plan. I do eat fruit and occasionally a starchy vegetable like corn, sweet potatoes and carrots. But I don't eat bread, pasta, or products like that.

I've kept off the 100+ lbs I lost on Atkins for 3 years now.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #11  
I'm with the band

Congrats hockeyfan7!

Best wishes towards continued successs!

Old 03-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #12  
Going to ONEderland

I lost 13.5 pounds within the first week and a half of Atkins. At that point I was actually down 17.5 pounds because I had managed to lose 4 pounds before starting Atkins. But I didn't stay on induction for the full 2 weeks. After losing the 13.5, I felt VERY cold like I do when I have the flu. I was not able to get warm, even with blankets piled on me. I was in deep ketosis, and I didn't much like how it felt, so I intentionally elevated my level of carbs by eating a slice of wheat bread. That took me to a higher level and made my losses stop right there. I've always been curious as to how much weight I would have lost during those first two weeks if I hadn't done that.

I felt immediately better, and I'm not sorry I ate something higher in carbs, I just wish it had been something different than that so that the losses would have continued.

I did go off and on Atkins for the next 8 months. Mostly on, but not constantly. I managed to lose 50 pounds total that year. (8 months). After that I stopped losing much. For the next two years I tried to lose more, but couldn't seem to. Started exercising and managed to drop another 12 pounds (max), but couldn't keep off those last 2. Then I hit another plateau and couldn't seem to budge the weight. Of course I think by then I was sick of doing it so that may have been the problem. Couldn't stick to it.

Anyway, just because you have a potassium problem doesn't mean you can't do Atkins. They have potassium pills you can take and they will keep the spasms away. Or you can do modified Atkins. Don't have to do it at induction levels. You can eat berries (I often do), and peaches. Whether they have potassium in them or not I couldn't say, but plenty of people have dealt with Atkins and taken potassium as needed.

Normally Atkins only makes you lose potassium at the beginning of the diet. Once you've been on it awhile and the quick water loss is gone, the potassium loss stops as well.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:05 AM   #13  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I think I can say *almost* everyone who posts here has done induction more than once!! So, yes we are all doing damage to our metabolism....but in all honesty, it wasnt done by doing atkins induction several times. It was years and years of yo-yo dieting.

Anyway, each time I climb back on the wagon and do induction I loose a fair amount. Depending on how badly I had eaten before will depend on how much I will loose. Last time (with exercise) I had lost 17 lbs in 2 weeks. The time before (without exercise) 8 in 2 weeks. HOWEVER before the 17lb loss.....I indulged in true addict fashion...so I had alot of water retention.

So it will depend on how you have been eating, how much water you are retaining, and how much you have to loose in total.

Good luck in your venture
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #14  
Determined

S/C/G: 285/235/140

Well, this is my first day so I'll let you know when my two weeks are up :P
daydreamer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:49 AM   #15  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I must say that I was curious about how much everyone loses during induction myself, and was happy to see this thread. This is my first time and first day doing Atkins, so I don't have a result to post, but I do know a woman who uses induction only rarely when she has gained a little excess weight (holiday lbs, etc.), and then goes off the diet altogether. I personally will stick with this diet to try and reach my goal weight because it makes sense and produces results, but come on...I'm 27 years old-will I go another 50 or so years without bread or fruit? I don't see the point of chastising anyone's curiosity, when in fact WE ARE ALL here because we have been unable or unwilling to stick to healthy eating of whatever kind. It is unreasonable to expect everyone here to stick to any particular diet forever, since once you are at a healthy wieght it is possible to maintain it through sensible eating and exercise and not exclusively low-carb living.
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote