Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/176/115

Height: 5'4"

Default For the 'Leg Challenged'...

If anyone has overcome this problem, I would really appreciate it if they would share the solution! I'm 44 years old, 5'4 and currently at my all time high weight of 180. For the past 25 years I've gained and lost the same 50 pounds more times than I can remember. I'm now determined to lose it and keep it off once and for all! My current workout plan is 6 days of cardio (45 minutes done in intervals from 3.4 - 4.0 mph) 3 days a week of the 'Core Secrets' fitness ball routine, and 2 days of VERY beginner yoga. As far as food goes, I'm back on the 'Body for Life' plan, because I've found this to be the easiest for me to stick with...plus the weekly 'FREE DAY' keeps me sane and gives me something to look forward to all week long! As far as body type goes, I'm sort of a bottom heavy 'hour glass'. Meaning, my butt & legs are the first to gain and the LAST to lose.. but my shoulders are wide and (when over weight) my chest is too large to make me a true 'pear' shape. Okay, there really IS a question in here...
My legs, especially the thighs are by far the most unfortunate part of my body. The best I can say about them is that I have two and they both work. If that were not bad enough, the thighs are VERY uneven! I have these two lumps of fat on each side of the OUTER thigh, but the lump on the right side is TWICE the size of the lump on the left! And it seems like no matter what my weight is, that never changes. At 130 these lumps are still there, and the one side is always noticable bigger. I'm worried that no matter how thin I get all over, I will still be stuck with these fat legs! QUESTION... Is there any specific exercise I should be doing IN ADDITION to what I mentioned above? And, should I work the BIGGER side MORE??? Like do 20 reps on the small side and 40 on the bigger one? Thank you for your help & suggestions!
NJ_Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #2  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

That's a good question, unfortunately not one I know the answer to. I’ll be interested to hear what people have to say, I’ve noticed my entire right side (trunk to hips) is holding onto a lot more fat than the left. I think I noticed it a little before, but now that I’ve lost a bit of weight and toning up the muscles underneath the unevenness seems more conspicuous, or maybe that’s just because I’m paying more attention now?

I don’t think doing heavier/more weights on one side than the other is a terribly good idea though. You can’t “spot reduce” fat, and you’ll want your strength and muscle size to be approximately even on each side.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:06 PM   #3  
Mel

Why not do the Body for Life exercise program along with the eating. IMO, it's way too much food if you are eating by the book, for the level of exercise that you are doing.

I would pick up some weights and concentrate on exercises that use dumbbells because that will force both sides of your body to work equally hard. If you use machines, the stronger side will do most of the work. Don't use different weights for the stronger and weaker sides....The weak side will catch up fairly quickly if you work correctly!

If you really have uneven fat lumps, maybe you should see a doctor and find out what they really are. When I first started trying to lose weight, I had a lump of fat over my left hip bone. 60 pounds gone, and it was still there. I kept trying to lose weight until it went away. It turned out to be an encapsulated fat cyst that had to be surgically removed. Encapsulated fat doesn't shrink or go away when you diet- mine was actually larger when I weighed 125 pounds than when I weighed in the 180's.

You are almost exactly the age and weight where I started. I think you really need to kick the exercise up a big notch and keep it there if you want to keep the weight off for the last time. If you are new to an integrated weight-cardio-nutrition program, Body for Life, or Pamela Peeke's Body for Life for Women is a great place to start.

Squats and lunges...lots of them

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote