General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #1  
Pound by Pound

Height: 5'4"

Default Appendicitis Anyone ...?

Don't worry ... I'm not giving any away! lol

Ok, backing up to Saturday of last week ...

Out of the blue I started having bouts of Nausea ... Sometimes lasting 5 - 15 mins and atleast a couple of times a day. I think the last one I had was around Thursday ... Thank goodness!
But just as that went away I started having pains in my abdomen - when the pains first started I thought I was probably O'ing (felt similar but a little stronger) ... but then on Saturday it moved more towards my right side - still in my abdomen but now just above my leg and around my hip area. It's been 3 days and I'm still having these pains which now feels much worse when I'm up walking around.

I've done a little research and found that it kind of sounds like Appendicitis ... So, I'm wondering if anyone here has had any of these symptoms and if you have, what if anything did it turn out to be?

Oops ... one other Q - If you've had appendicitis ... were BM's painful?

ETA :: Normally I'm not in much pain when I'm sitting down, but I've noticed that I have been feeling sharp pains since I've been at my puter.

Thanks so much - any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:35 AM   #2  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

DON'T WAIT ANYMORE! GO TO YOUR DOCTOR! I had appendicitis when I was 14--I had the flu at the same time so hard to say exactly where the symptoms diverged. One of the classic ways to identify appendicitis is with rebounding pain--if you push down on the lower abdomen on the LEFT side and then release, you feel the pain on your right side. The complications from a burst appendix can be very severe (it is a "dirty" rupture into the abdominal cavity and can infect just about everything)--any abdominal pain really warrants a visit to the doctor.

I also had a burst ovarian cyst (about the size of a large tangerine) a little over a year ago and that could be a possibility too. While burst cysts are often not THAT big a deal, I was hospitalized and it took me a month to recover (it was a pretty damn big cyst). I had had some on and off pain for about 2 weeks before (mind you, I'd also had abdominal surgery for something else a month before so had thought the symptoms were part of the recovery and I was having transvaginal ultrasounds every 2 weeks so like most sane people, figured the doctors would know if there was something ELSE going on. Live and learn.). There are tests your doctor can do to determine if that's the case (should it not be your appendix). A cyst can be aggravated by movement (think of it as a big "blister" that gets rubbed when you move around). In many cases, a cyst will resolve on it's own, but because there could be any number of things going on, you should REALLY call your doctor's office and my guess is they will have you in same day based on your symptoms.

Good luck and hopefully you'll post back what you learn.

Tracy
Old 03-14-2006, 01:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I also had appendicitis around 14 or 15 years old. I had gone to the doctor and they SENT ME HOME after the MRI (I think) saying it was probably an ovarian cyst. The next day I went to school even though I could barely walk straight and the daytime doctor called my mom and told her to get me in asap. She picked me up from school and I was taken immediately into surgery.

Anyway, mine happened so fast I can't answer your BM question but I did feel fairly nauseas. If you want a kind of home check ( even though you HAVE to go to the doctor), have someone pick up your right leg while you are seated and hit the sole of your foot. This will hurt pretty bad if it is appendicitus. But you need to get in because if it bursts you are in for some serious pain and infection.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:10 AM   #4  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Holy cow Stac--they thought you had a cyst that bad at 14/15?! Doctors. sounds like your surgery situation for the appendectomy was similar to mine--my mom took me (and 2 other sisters) in because of the flu and by the time the doctor had finished checking me out, I was pre-admitted and they did surgery that day (they weren't sure if it had burst yet or not--I think his phrase was something like "it looked like the dog chewed it" LOL). I've never heard that sole of the foot trick before--interesting.

(sidebar--i've been gone about a month and had to do a double take on your avatar! And...congrats on onederland!)
Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #5  
Pound by Pound

Thanks so much girls!

My DH wanted to take me to the ER last night - but I decided to wait it out and call my PCP this morning (her office opens in 15 mins) - The more I read about it, the more it scared me a little, so I did prepare a bag last night just in case!

Tracy :: I tried to do the 'rebound test' on myself yesterday but was too afraid to push too hard ... I guess I should have had the DH do it instead!

Altho I do have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) I don't believe it could be a cyst - I just had a gyn appt 2 weeks ... and thankfully, I've never had a cyst - to date.

Stacy :: Hmm... How interesting! I'll definitely try the foot thing here in a minute! There was another test involving your leg that I read about - but it made no sense to me ... yours is much easier! lol

I'll let y'all know what happens.

Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #6  

NoworNever, hehe, I had one lady on here tell my I had changed quite a bit!
It's actually my favorite Supercross rider, I'm cheering for him until the season is over.

Stacye, any word yet? I hope everything is ok!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 PM   #7  
Pound by Pound

YaY - It's NOT Appendicitis!!

Quick update ::

When I called my doc this morning, she said 'Go to the ER now' ... So off we went!

Once there, the ER doc felt around my tummy and narrowed it to 4 possibilities -

(1) Appendicitis
(2) Ovarian Cysts (altho I've never had them)
(3) Kidney Stones
(4) Abdominal Hernia

So I had a Urine analysis, a gallon of blood drawn and a CT Scan.
The b/w & u/a were fine and thankfully the scan revealed that my appendix was A-OK!

Diagnosis :: 'Abdominal Wall Tear' - With this tear, the ER doc is afraid it could very well lead to an Abdominal Hernia (lots of talk of my intestines 'poking thru' & lots of other gross stuff - yuk, didn't sound fun!) ... so, to help avoid the possibility of surgery - I'm on a very limited activity list and I am not allowed any exercise for the next 2 weeks!
He (as do I) believes that the new exercise program that I've been doing at Curves could possibly be what caused the 'injury'.

I was given a good ole shot of Morphine ... love the ER Doc! and given an rx for pain (Tylox) and some 800 mg Ibuprofen. After I was home my pcp called and I'm scheduled to see her in 10 days for a follow-up. Love my pcp too - she rocks!

Overall I think this is much better than Appendicitis! Another good thing is that the doc also suggested no housework! Woohoo - Go me, Go ME!
Really tho, I'm a cleaner so this ones going to be a little tough to hold to!

Thanks again for all the well wishes and for those who shared their experiences - the info was great & the well wishes really helped!
Old 03-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #8  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Wow, thanks so much for the update and I'm glad it turned out to be something not requiring surgery!

So, it was like a "pre-hernia"! Boy, no housework. What a sacrifice (giggle).
Old 03-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #9  

Yea, that is great to hear!

Thanks for letting us know, when you hadn't replied back all day I was like "Geez, I bet she's surgery right now!"
Old 03-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #10  
fat little dragoness

S/C/G: 172/171.5/130

I remember having appendicitis when I was 13. It was on saturday, I wasn't feeling good, my stomach hurt, so I laid down in bed. My mom came in and wanted to know what was wrong with me. She checked my temperature and I had a high fever, so my mom and dad took my to the ER. it took a while before we could see the doctor. When we did, the doctor did some tests, and I think I had an x-ray or an ultrasound, and they found out it was my appendix. Until then I did not even know what an appendix was. I spent that night in the hospital, and I think my appendix burst that night, I was in terrible pain. The next day they removed my appendix ( or the pieces of it) and I had a tube put in the side of my abdomen to drain out the bad fluid and get rid of any infections. I had staples instead of stitches hold together the cut where the doctor removed my appendix pieces. At first I thought the scar was kind of cool, it was hard not to touch it and mess with it. I had to stay in the hospital for a week after the operation, the hospital food was terrible, I lost a lot of weight, I weighed like 85 lbs and I was about 4'11" or 5 ft tall. Now I am like 1 inch over 5 ft, and I weigh 169 lbs.
Closed Thread