General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #1  
Slow and Steady...

S/C/G: 250/179/140

Default Skin Care

So, I figured that the "general chatter" forum would be the best place to post this. Sorry if it isn't

Since I have been losing weight I have been trying to get my acne under control. I don't have horrible acne, just some problems in my T-zone. I am trying to find a good skin cleanser that doesn't leave residual oil on my face, something that cleanses well, and that I can purchase at the grocery store for like, 5 or so bucks.

I am wondering if anyone has any product recommendations of things you have tried that you love?

Cheers! Alicia
curlygurl1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 203/203/140

Height: 5'2

I just bought the Dove Vibrating thingie. I don't know the exact name. You can buy the vibrating thing for like $10 and then buy the cleansing exfoiliating pads for around $5. It has made my skin feel a lot more healthy. Sorry I wasn't more specific, but you will know what I am talking about if you see it.

TakingOff60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

curlygurl, I'm in the same situation as you. I've also had trouble with moderate acne although now it's moving around the jaw line as opposed to the t-zone. I had a thread like this in the 20-somethings board but most suggestions were pricey IMO. I've been using Clean & Clear Advantage and it hasn't been working for me. I think I may try the Olay cleansing pads for oily skin or the Aveeno stuff (but it is even a little high priced for me). Is there anything you've used that hasn't worked so I know not to buy it?

Ana, I know what you mean, I saw it advertised in my glamour magazine. Did you notice if the pads come in an oily/combo formula?
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:19 AM   #4  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Smile

I'm older than you guys but I still deal with acne breakouts - I do like some of the more pricey stuff like Proactive, but for cheaper/grocery store stuff I use a facial scrub (like St. Ives, they have a medicated one) and then dab a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide around on my face. You'll see all the little spots foam up, let it stay there for a few minutes and then rinse. It works really well as long as I do it a couple of times a week.

Also, if your hair is oily, Head and Shoulders works great for that.
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #5  
Slow and Steady...

S/C/G: 250/179/140

stacylambert

I bought Biore Ice Cleanser recently and was hoping for the best but was disappointed. It didn't seem to really penetrate my pores. I have Dove cleansing pillows, just the kind you rub on your face, but they haven't done much for me either.

I did get Avon True Porefection on sale and loved it...it isn't horribly expensive ($7.50 a bottle) but I had used it all up within a month's time. I had bought the True Porefection trio of moisturizer, toner, and cleanser...I still have everything but the cleanser and use the moisturizer everyday. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and get some more, although I hate paying for shipping and handling.

Alicia

Last edited by curlygurl1977; 03-12-2006 at 12:05 PM.
curlygurl1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

I always had success with neutrogena products. I used the bar, but now they have foaming face washes. I also used witch hazel as an astringent because the other ones I tried were way too harsh.
BeatlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:19 AM   #7  
ugggg.....

Bath and Body has some really good products and the sales people are usually helpful. I use several of the Pure Simplicity line but there is another one that comes from upscale store in NY--not remebering the line's name, but my daughter uses a clay scrub to keep blackheads away and they have a whole line of cleanser-toner-moisturizers.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #8  
Carrie

S/C/G: 196/174.2/150

Height: 5' 8"

I have four early 20's and upper teen kids and they seem to have a routine that works. They all have different problem area's but all do the same thing and it works for all four. They alternate (when they run out of one, they buy the other) between buying Aveeno oatmeal soap (the bars, not the tube, they say the bar works much better) and clean and clear cleanser. I can't remember which exact clean and clear it is, but it is in a tube and it is a wash also. If they run out and don't use for a couple of days, you can really tell the difference. My 17 yr old use to use perscriptions from the dermatologist, but this seems to work just as good if not better as long as it is used everyday. As far as cost, it is inexpensive and you can get both at the grocery store. I think the Aveeno bar is under $3 and the Clean and Clear tube is around $5 or $6.
healthy2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #9  

I got ProActive for my daughter and it works miraculously! I gave a box to my niece and it worked fantastically for her too. I know it costs a bit, but my daughter uses it judiciously.
maggie2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #10  
Addicted to potato salad!

When I was young, I had terribly dry skin on my cheeks and awful acne on my chin, nose and forehead. Classic combo skin. Now that I'm in my 40's it's just dry all over.

Anyhow...

This sounds weird...but I used to use a product for combo skin that was called something like skin essentials? It was by the makers of Almay. Anyhow, the wash was just like using shampoo on my face. So, I started to just wash my face in the shower with my shampoo. This sounds really nutty, but if its not going to dry out my hair, then it's not going to dry out my face, I figured. I haven't had acne since. Possible that it was just coincidence...could be that I was just growing out of the zits at that point.

Another aspect to think about is this. Your oil glands are have one objective...oil production, to keep your skin from drying out. Period. A lot of people get in trouble because they attempt to eliminate oil from their skin thinking it will stop zits from happening. Usually, the opposite happens. You strip the oil from your face and your oil glands say..."Holy Toledo!! Step up production!! Oil shortage here!!" So, you end up with even oiler and zittier skin. My suggestion is...and it's also been working for me...it so use a cream cleanser. Like Pond's Cold Cream. You wipe it on your face, and tissue it off. You can splash some water on after if you feel residuish. But this way, you get the dirt off (which is really where zits come from) but leave moisture to keep your oil glands from overreacting. I used to use Sea Breeze on my T-zone (nose, forehead and chin) a bit to help be sure it's not too moisturized.

This is what's worked for me...hope you find something to help!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #11  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I had pretty severe acne so I went to a dermatologist and got medication and face creams. I'm on birth control now, which works really well! I'm not real sure about regular products, though. I use this Noxema (sp?) anti-bacterial face wash, apricot scrub to exfoliate, and just recently I bought a microdermabrasion kit so I can get rid of acne scars. Good luck
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

I use Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub or Mint Julep facial scrub and a sensitive skin moisturizer. I'm think Proactiv is next, though. I have a friend with wicked sebaceous acne and, if it can clear her skin, it should take care of mine. Funny, I never had acne as a teenager! Now, the grey hair, wrinkles, reading glasses and acne are all hitting me at once. Yuck.
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote