General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #1  

Red face Size-24, will I have a problem flying?

Hey Everyone -

I'm headed to India on late April, and I am sooo worried that I might not fit in the airplane seats or the buckle won't fit! I haven't flown in 6 years and I was skinny back then. I'm a size 24.

Please help me put my mind at ease!! OR, offer advice.. if the buckle doesn't fit I'll probably burst into tears!!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #2  

Oops I just realized I should have posted this in "general chatter" anyone know how I can move the thread there?
Old 03-11-2006, 01:21 AM   #3  

Default Flying Problems for the Overweight

Hi!

I saw your post and just wanted to say what I know about this... from experience...

About a year and a half or two years ago, I was a size 24 and I fit into the seat (albeit uncomfortably and I did put the arm up to make it a little more comfortable) and I wasn't charged for another seat or anything like that (though it is probably different from one airline to the next and I'm not sure how you would find out what the airlines policy is on size or whatever). I did have to ask one of the flight attendants for a seat belt extender. It's usually something like the seat belts that the flight attendants use to demonstrate how to operate the seat belts. That was a bit embarrassing, but you may be able to fit the regular belt without the extender - my sister was the same size as me and she didn't need the extender. If you feel daring enough to ask, some flight attendants will be fine about letting you move seats to an area of the plane where there is more room, but some may not. It's the typical (possible) prejudice that you have to deal with when you are overweight.

I hope that helped a little. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you more. I hope everything works out well for your trip and that you have a great time!

Cass.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

When I was a size 24, I could still fit into a regular seat without a belt extender - barely. I had to extend the belt out all the way. I would suggest making sure that you get an aisle seat. That way, you can kind of "claim" some of the aisle space if you need to. I guess it really depends, though, on where you carry your weight - hips and butt vs. waist.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #5  
Amy

S/C/G: 443/306/175

Height: 5'7"

I carry a lot of my weight in the "gut" area (where the lap belt crosses you)and I am a size 28. When I flew a few years back I was able to fit in the seat and the seat belt, although just barely. I would think w/you being 2 sizes smaller than me you will be alright If you have to ask for an extender just motion the attendant over and just discretly tell her you need one. Better to do that than have her see you cant buckle your belt and ASK you if you need one

You know if a big man needed an extender no one would say a word or think twice about it. Now that's predjudice.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #6  

Oh! I feel sooo much better now! One less thing to worry about Thanks so much for your replies. Now does anyone know if I'll be able to fit in a rickshaw? Only joking :-D
Old 03-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Just to add my own experience. I was a 22, sometimes 24. And I took 1 or 2 trips a year. I never had a problem needing an extender, but I was terribly uncomfortable. If you don't mind the arms digging in, not being able to comfortably get to the buttons for the headphones, fearing needing to go to the bathroom because everyone will be upset with your butt in their face trying to squeeze out and then you banging your knee on everything in that tight closet...you'll be fine. LOL

But then, I saw first class. If you can afford it, it's the way to go for larger size. The seats are much much wider, and way more leg room.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren87
Please help me put my mind at ease!! OR, offer advice.. if the buckle doesn't fit I'll probably burst into tears!!
Yes it is embarrassing but if needed just ask for an extender.... I've had to do it!! Then come back here after the trip to 3FC and keep working so next time you won't HAVE to!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #9  

I agree about where you carry your extra weight being an issue... AND getting an aisle seat helps. I tend to carry ALL of my weight in my stomach and boobs so can get my butt into the seats okay.... but LOL I end up crossing my arms over my chest half the flight to keep my topheavy top half where it belongs LOL.

Another thing to consider.... American Airlines is advertising as having slightly larger seats and I found this to be the case. Also... if you have to fly partway on the small commuter planes it can be a problem... so try to book a direct flight on the largest plane you can.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 334/256/225

Height: 5'5"

Hi, I carry alot of weight in the butt/gut so those seats are a major pain (literally). I recommend visiting the extend-it.com website for seatbelt extenders. They are life & embarassment savers! I'm planning a 14 hour flight to Australia this summer, which is my MAJOR motivation to stick w/WW. I found a card that has an airplane on the front & "excuse me ma'am, we cannot leave the gate until you're seated ... and from the looks of that ***, this flight is canceled!". This is on my fridge! Good luck & enjoy your trip!
Old 03-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #11  

I travelled to Australia from the UK at my fattest. I could get the belt around me without an extender. I wasn't comfortable, and spent a lot of the flight on my feet. I adopted babies!!! Mums always need an extra pair of hands on flights, so I helped out!!!

I went Singapore Airlines, I don't know if they would have been accommodating if I had asked, but it was incredibly uncomfortable. I am hoping now I will feel a lot better. I go in June!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 04:18 PM   #12  

Thanks for sharing that site, Charliefan! I did not know about it. Hopefully next time I fly I will not need one but I am bookmarking the site!!! Not sure when I will be flying again.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 334/256/225

Height: 5'5"

While you're at extend-it.com, check out the first class flyer. This is a blow-up cushion that puts you at a better angle for sleeping & has gotten rave reviews. You'll probably want the extender for that since it pushes your behind closer to the front of the seat & the seat belt is needed for support. I bought one for the return flight from Hawaii, but had food poisoning & didn't dare relax long enough to sleep -- eesh! I look forward to using it this summer. That site also has good tips for travelling "large". Highly recommended. Also remember, that flight is only a small part of your trip -- enjoy your stay!

Last edited by charliefan; 03-12-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #14  

Ren-How long is the flight? Even after I lost my weight and got to a size 14, I would be miserable in a coach seat for more than 6 hours. To the point for me that I would choose not to go or find a way to go first class.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:55 AM   #15  

Wow, great replies everyone. Thanks a lot!
I'm still dreading the flights, especially when I think of inconveniencing the people next to me. I'll definately try to get an aisle seat. And I'll probably buy that set of extenders, just to put myself at ease.
Unfortunately it isn't possible to get a non-stop to India from here.. so I'm going Portland-Chicago-Frankfurt-Hyderabad. I imagine the longest flight is 10 or 11 hours? From Chicago to Frankfurt.
Not fun at all! But, I'll be in India for 6 months so hopefully the combo of heat and spicy food and lots of walking will help me lose weight and I'll be thinner on the way home :-)
Closed Thread