South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

Default Tuna ideas

I know fish is important, and I want to enjoy tuna but its hard. How does everyone prepare theirs to get out the fishy smell?
Any creative ideas would help.
scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #2  

Try the kind that comes packaged ready to eat, not in the can. They have different flavored ones and they don't smell like the canned tuna I think because there is nothing to drain off of it, like the water it has been sitting in from the can.
amelie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life!

Hi Shannon!
Do you mean tuna as in the canned variety or tuna steaks? I don't eat the tuna steaks, I just don't like them. The canned I'll sometimes eat plain but mostly I add a little mayo and like to have chopped celery and/or onion in it. It doesn't really do anything for the smell though, lol. I'll put a plop of it on top of a bed of romaine with tomatoes, cucumbers and balsamic vinegar.
Muffin02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #4  
I'm In Exile

S/C/G: HUGE/HUGE/Semi-Normal

Fish is important but you should eat it only if you enjoy it. Why tuna? Why not try some other fish. I love Salmon and eat it a few times a week. Its great grilled. I like other mild white fishes too and grill them or poach them in white wine. I've never really liked tuna from the can or in tuna steak form but I'm sure if you google you will find some great recipes
Countess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #5  
Swimming Mouse

I eat a lot of canned tuna. I tried the flavored stuff in the packet, and couldn't stand it. I usually buy the 3 oz cans (the little ones that come 3 to a pack) of albacore white tuna. I buy the albacore because I prefer it, and the smell isn't as strong. The smell doesn't bother me, but I do take my lunch to work and the classroom trashcans aren't emptied until 4 hours after lunch. My students would complain very loudly if the room smelled of tuna.
I eat lots of tuna because of the endocrine disorder I have; my body has a lot of trouble processing carbohydrates, particularly those of the refined variety. Tuna is easy for me to take for lunch.
I usually have one of the cans of tuna (anywhere from 80-100 calories), sliced cucumber, celery sticks, some skim or 2% milk cheese (I love cheese, and its also something I can eat; my favorites are the little marinated mozzarella balls, sharp cheddar, smoked gouda or mozzarella, smoked cheddar, and sharp provolone), and some type of fruit... usually berries, because I tolerate those well. Oh, and 4 or 5 triscuit crackers or 1 cup of popcorn.
Sometimes I'll take some of the healthy request or 98% fat-free mushroom soup and mix it with the tuna and some of those fried onion pieces or I'll crunch my triscuits into it. I also have the cucumber and celery on the side, though with this I often melt the cheese in the mixutre (in this case, grated parmasean and romano, or a shredded cheddar). I'll do this for dinner as well.
I also buy and keep frozen already cooked shrimp in the freezer: it thaws by lunch. Then, I take the mozzarella balls, a tiny bit of olive oil, and mix it together. Veggies and fruit again...
My favorite "dinner" fish is tilapia or flounder... that I throw on my ersatz George Forman grill, and its done in 5 mintues. I tend to buy my fish at Trader Joes, because its cheaper and sold in single-serving sizes.
Dinner usually has a salad of romaine, celery and cucumber, and some "light" dressing. I used to only use fat-free dressing, but that has more sugar in it. The light is 1 g or 2 g more, and has less carbs.
Hope this helps!
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #6  
Lovin' Life!

Sounds yummy Anonymouse! I love flounder with just some fresh lemon...soooo good!
Muffin02 is offline   Reply With Quote