Old 03-08-2006, 07:15 AM   #1  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Default Creating a Healthy food plan for someone else

a family member of mine needs/wants to lose weight and has leg problems so cant exercise them.
I said Id look into making a healthy meal plan and look for exercises for their arms.
Well she eats very little likeverymuch less than 1000 kcals a day but still gains.
dont anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks

Last edited by angeleyezx; 03-08-2006 at 02:07 PM.
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

There's all kinds of workouts at www.stumptuous.com
And a fitday.com account might be a fun thing you can play with together. There's info about the food pyramid and assessment things you can look at.

The nurse in me is nosy about the leg problem. You can ignore me if you'd like
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #3  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

no its cool, its achilles tendons or something to that affect, I know it gives her alot of pain somethime, especially its she walks for a while, exercise etc.
She has been for some physio for it but it hasnt been especially helpful.
they now reckon she might need an operation
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #4  

There are chair aerobics videos for those who have leg problems. Check your library. Eating less than 1200 calories a day can put you into starvation mode and you will not lose. You cannot get adequate nutrition on less than that.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Whenever I see the term starvation mode come up ... the hair on the back of neck stands up. However, this may be one of the closest examples of true starvation mode that we'll see. The actual slowing of a persons metabolism.
But, I don't feel that this began because of a low caloric intake.
I'm going to assume a couple of things. Although, I think Angel did say this person was older ??? She probably never went to the gym and probably had a less than perfect diet.
OK ... we use calories two ways.
One is by activity. If you increase your metabolism, you use more calories right? We exercise on top of all the things we already do. This woman not only can't exercise, nor can she do the everyday things she used to. Resulting in a lower daily caloric requirement.
We also use calories just to run the machine. Regenerate new tissue, make lungs move, make heart beat etc. When we are quieter than normal, these things use less calories too. You breath more shallowly while you are asleep, your pulse in slower, right? Circulation can become impaired. Even healing is slower.
Along with this comes muscle atrophy. If you don't move it you lose it, right? Muscle mass uses more calories than fat mass. Inactivity and poor nutrition can cause a withering, of sorts, of muscle tissue ... again lowering our caloric needs.
And all of this can make you tired so you get even slower.
I feel that this woman is suffering from this. In theory then, good quality food and any kind of activity should help.

So, I've had my little rant.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote