View Poll Results: What's your plan for Christmas/Holiday this year?
Stay at home on my own and wish it would all go away 2 18.18%
Go and spend it with family so they can do all the planning (I might help with the washing up though) 7 63.64%
Spend it with friends (nobody's doing any washing up - that's what paper plates are for!) 0 0%
Entertaining family chez moi, so they can do the washing up 0 0%
Going to a luxury hotel where I don't even have to look at any washing up 0 0%
All of the above (except maybe number 5 ...) 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 05:26 AM   #1  
flibbertobbergenie!

Angry Thursday's Daily Thread - come and join us!!!

Hello Peeps! My turn to start a thread for the first time in ... ooh ... ages. Yippee! I am going to think of a poll too. Huzzah!

It was ace to see so many posts yesterday, especially with such GOOD NEWS, Sarah, let me congratulate you again, I know how much you were looking forward to getting PG. Don't desert us though, we will be cyber-godmothers, like we will be to Trish's little Albert (have you thought of that for a name, Trish? ) Speaking of which, Trish, a 15lb baby???!!! My Dad was 11lbs and apparently he was the biggest baby the midwife had ever seen (this is 1949 though...). My best chum, who's in Africa witht he Peace Corps at the moment, is going to train as a midwife when she gets out next year, so I've booked her already for any future sprogs I might drop

BTW, Belle, after you mentioned your drive to Winnipeg I realised I had no idea where that was so I looked at the map in my bathroom (don't ask!) and HOW FAR???!!! I realise Canada is a big country but that looked like the whole length of Britain!!! How long did it take you? I can't imagine living somewhere so big. But I did see some fun names - Moose Jaw and Medicine Hat. Tee hee! My favourite British place names are Nasty (it's a village), The Cronk and Pratt's Bottom.

I expect you'll all be thrilled to know that my chicken liver parfait came out ok even though I substituted fat free fromage frais for the double cream It is v nice on toast with chutney and hardly any points. I'm posting my brownie recipe on the recipe thread so you can all have a go at that too, believe me, it's SO worth it!!!

OK, time for work. Later, 'gators!

Lxxx
Old 10-11-2001, 05:41 AM   #2  
flibbertobbergenie!

BTW, evil system STILL won't let me post a response on the poll, so for the record my answer is 6, ALL of the above except, unfortunately, number 5 I can dream though, right?!
Old 10-11-2001, 09:03 AM   #3  
Running Babe

Hiya,

Hmmmm, I think there should be a 7th.... WORKING all the holiday. Yes I do get Christmas day off, but other than that, I'll most likely be working xmas eve and boxing day! Looks like I'll spend part of the day with my family and part with my boyfriend's. I think my mom's a little upset that I most likely won't be spending xmas dinner with her, but alas, he spent thanksgiving with us.

Lolly: Yup Canada is a huge country... I enjoyed some of the names in Britain as well... Forget some of my favorite's off hand, but some of the names were quite cute! I think there's a conception bay in NFLD in Canada.

Take Care Y'all

Ali
Old 10-11-2001, 09:36 AM   #4  
Diet Dr Pepper Rules!

Hello all.

Well, no Lolly, i had not thought of Albert. He was on Little House on the Prairie, right?

On the poll, I have no idea what I will be doing for the holidays. I will be at home or maybe in the hospital. I have resrevations at a very nice resturant before church on Christmas Eve. If I don't feel like going out, I have also picked-up the Christmas menu of a very nice caterer for Christmas Eve dinner. Christmas day, if not in hospital, will go to inlaws (they live in the same town as us) for dinner and presents. My folks (who I would go see) are not coming for Christmas as they will come right after the baby is born. Also, they are coming for Thanksgiving. So anyway, I will be huge and may be in labor. That would be nice.

Ali: It is hard to balance family obligations at the holidays...even more so when you are married. We switch-off, but I always see my family right after for any holiday day that I am not with them...so it works out for me. Anyway, my family is out of town and hubby's is here so we see them all the time. I think it is fair.

Must work as leaving early today to finish cleaning house before Mom comes tonight. Oh, and I am going to make the Taco Soup on the recepie thread. Thanks for pulling that back up.

Trish
Old 10-11-2001, 10:48 AM   #5  
Eve's Mom

Default Wacky Names, Babies and Kitty

Other wacky names that I find along that route are:
Uren
Piapot
Pilot Butte and Central Butte
Moosomin

Hee heee heee...

It takes 14 hours Lolly, its about 1400km one way. It IS a long drive. Your whole country can fit in my whole province, maybe more than once! Its vast alright. i have friends in Ireland who thought that even in the city that you had to drive to the nearest neighbour though, you coudln't walk not THAT big...hee hee hee...

MMMM...chicken pate! I love pate, I can eat it for dinner!! But I don't have to, since Grama sent home tons of pierogies!! OH MY GOD they are good, and I don't even want to know the pointage on those.

I am sure I gained over the weekend although the scale at home is kind. And to make it worse, TOM was due on Monday and didn't come til today. I was starting to get freaked out!!! I thought maybe the baby disease was contageous on line!! you know, I would love to be in a position when I can have a baby, but I know I am not at that point in my relationship. My 94 year old Grama told me to get pregnant anyway, that she'd give me $ to raise it...ha ha. I think she has no hope for me getting married but they liked b/f alot! They said he is the best looking of all 3 significant others and that they hope he decides to marry me...

I missed v-ball yesterday to take Kitty to her new home. She has a very fat brother named Charlie now. Adn she seemed right at home in her new place. The girl who adopted her was very nice nad a real animal lover.....she promised to send me email updates. Poor Kitty, I miss her, but I can sure breathe better now, and after we vaccuum and clean up, it'll be even better.

Ali - I did 8 years of splitting time with b/f's family and mine. EX B/f that is. His family was very pushy and wanted us all the time. Near the end of our relationship, I just wanted out, but I stayed for 3 years longer, and I stopped going to his family's house for any occassion (big clue there!!) Now I have to go to NB for xmas this year with new and improved b/f Yay!! Will be very different. Have fun with your b/f this xmas!! Have you met his fam and has he met yours??? Taht is always fun.....what does he do for a living?? Is he in school? How old??

Trish - Albert WAS on little house (I was a big fan as a kid) and I loved Almonzo (Manly). I have never heard anyone say "I will be huge and in labour, that will be nice" That's an oxymoron. I can't beleive you are due so soon!! Time flies....

We should have a 3FC baby-thon. Post all pics of the new and old bambinos (and us non mom's can post our sibling's kids or god children or whatever)....

I better move my buttocks and get some work done! Yikes.

I still have to read yesterday's and the 2 days before posts....
Kim- how was WI and how art though??

Hello to Kirsty, Becky (hello I noticed you are back!), Kier (in Doooooblin), Jen1, Jen2, Tonya, Sarah, Rina (are you around?) and the rest of the gang.

Belle
Old 10-11-2001, 10:56 AM   #6  

<<yawn>> I'm having a very slow getting started day today LOL. I hope you are all having good Thursdays tho... almost the weekend! I don't really have anything planned tho I might go to a Renaissance Festival on Sunday in Mass. That would be fun. I baked chocolate chip cookies yesterday... and of course they were sooo good right out of the oven, I just HAD to have some. <g> Oh well I need to schedule my certification exam for my online classes today. Fun fun... too much memorization!

Sarah... Congrats! That's great news

Lolly... Oooh a brownie recipe... that would be nice. I don't think I've ever had chicken pate...

Belle... I can't believe your grandma told you that! LOL

Well, I hope noone is working too hard. Talk to you all later
Old 10-11-2001, 11:00 AM   #7  
flibbertobbergenie!

Belle, when I was in Ontario they told us just that one province was 4.5 times the size of the UK! 14 hours. Oof! And I am with you on pate ... we can't buy it very often (like peanut butter) because I will eat it straight from the pack. But this one's so low points it doesn't matter. YIPPEE! And you get pierogie too, NO FAIR Glad family liked BF - such a relief, no?

Ali, Belle is right, we need more info Eek, working Christmas, poor you, but at least that way you'll avoid the sitting round the house and eating - that always gets me! My parents have a tradition of buying in loads of nuts and chocolate and other sorts of foods they don't normally get and it is very, very difficult to go there and resist. They're both doing WW now though so maybe this year it will be different. It's certainly not a tradition Blokey and I plan to get into!

Trish - if you have a Christmas baby you'll have to call him Noel, you do realise that don't you? Or Stephen if he comes on Boxing Day. Tee hee

Lxxx
Old 10-11-2001, 11:03 AM   #8  
flibbertobbergenie!

Hi Shalyne, we were posting at the same time. Choc chip cookies, yum YUM (scary gremlin voice )

Lxxx
Old 10-11-2001, 11:09 AM   #9  
Canadian Chick

How did it get to be Thursday already? This week has just flown by for me. Sorry I haven't been posting much this week. Life is busy. I have been stopping by to keep up on the latest though.

So for the most part I am back on track. We have finally gotten rid of all of our Thanksgiving leftovers. I even exercised for an hour yesterday Today DF has the day off so after I get home from work I'm hoping we can go for a super long walk-the weather here is so gorgeous right now

Sarah! Congrats on PG! That's so exciting. I pray that you and the baby are healthy the whole time When you get close can we have a name poll for you too? (Trish That was so fun!)

Belle, glad to hear you had an ok Thanksgiving. You never said how your crazy aunt was. You're nicer than me. I'm allergic to cats too and there is no way I would ever drive with one in the car for 14 hours-my eyes and throat swell up.

Kier, glad to hear you're alright. Too bad you can't get online very often. Hope you're having fun!

Lolly, thanks for posting that Brownie recipe. It sounds delish! What do mean by soft cheese? Like cream cheese? or more like marscapone or a yogurt cheese? Please clarify.

Kim, too bad about the gain. You'll get back on track this week I'm sure.

Jen, how is your eye? Are you feeling any better? I hope so. Is this a contagious kind of infection?

Trish, Albert That's a crazy name. It makes me think of this kids show I watched when I was little with a huge egg who was Humpty Dumpty's brother, named Albert! Taco soup sounds good. Too bad you can't send some over

Ali, wtg on another good grade! All this working isn't affecting your studies at least! Good for you going to the gym 5 days a week! That's awesome.

I've got to get ready for work. Hi to everyone else. Have a super day

~Rina
Old 10-11-2001, 11:11 AM   #10  
Diet Dr Pepper Rules!

No Boxing Day in the US...I am not even sure what Boxing Day is. We just have Christmas Eve, Christmas, and then go back to work day. Blah! Oh, but Stephen is my father's name.

Belle: glad you found a home for your little kitty. Also glad that your Thanksgiving went well with BF and family. Yes, time does fly but I hope it goes a little faster. Oh, and I was a HUGE Little House fan...still am really. I watch it all the time. Boy, did I want to be Laura when I was a kid. Looking back, Pa really was kind of hot. The best looking man in the town by far. I always liked Doc Baker...don't know why. Never really liked Mary's husband (Adam) he was a tool.

Shalyne: Oh, those cookies sound wonderful. I think I am going to make Lolly's brownies too.

Ok, back to work.

Trish
Old 10-11-2001, 11:13 AM   #11  
Diet Dr Pepper Rules!

Rina: we were posting at the same time. Hello to you. It feels good when *evil* leftovers are out of the house!

Trish
Old 10-11-2001, 11:21 AM   #12  
Eve's Mom

I liked Nells, he made me laugh a lot. and I didn't like Mary's man either for some reason. I thought Pa was hot too!! and let face it, he WAS the best looking guy in town!! Ha ha ha!!

Rina - the insane aunt was on best behaviour, but was still a wierdo. She was hitting on b/f a bit, which was annoying, but he was aware. She got to teh hotel at 4pm on Friday, and we weren't there so she asked to see our room. they said no. she was a freak that way. We left at 8am, there was no way we'd be there at 4pm. Then she was mad b/c we told the hotel not to let us take any calls. She phoned at 5:30am the next day. How ignorant!! Thanksgiving leftover are the best (yum) and the worst at the same time. glad yours are gone...that's the good thinga bout going somewhere else to eat, you don't ahve the leftovers!!

Gotta go to work again, agh, I'll write later.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:22 AM   #13  
flibbertobbergenie!

Guess who's letting herself get distracted from her work ?!

Trish - Boxing Day is December 26th, aka Feast of St Stephen. I can't believe you guys have to go back to work! Here most people get the whole week until New Year. Boxing Day is a day for cold turkey and long walks and also for visiting the people you didn't see Christmas Day ...

Rina! You have to try the brownies! The cheese is soft cheese, so Philly or anything like that. Aw, you're allergic to cats too? That's too bad. My sister is, but she only found out when she was in her teens and she wouldn't hear of getting rid of our kitty (who's 14 now!) so she suffered a lot. Is it all fur, or just cats?

Lxxx
Old 10-11-2001, 11:26 AM   #14  
Fed Up With Fat!!

Default Little House Rocks!!

I'm like you, Trish, I still watch it whenever I can. Remember the
epidose where Albert tried the Morphine and he and Pa dealt with the withdrawl symptoms? They showed him throwing up stuff. It was sooooo gross!!!
Ok, I must ask, what are pierogies? I've heard OF them but have never heard ABOUT them. You make them sound yummy, though. Are they like a dumpling?
Prob this thanksgiving, we'll go to DH's fam for noon dinner and then my fam for evening dinner. (I like my mom's food MUCH better than his family's cooking!!!)
I'm going to make the Puppy chow recipe for a Bake sale at church on Saturday. AND I'm really really really going to try to stay away from eating while making!
I'd best get to work or Pa will tan my hide.
See ya'll later!
-Half Pint wannabe
Old 10-11-2001, 11:36 AM   #15  
Eve's Mom

Pierogies: dough stuffed with potatoe and cheese, or saurkraut (my fave) or blueberries (for dessert). boiled adn/or fried after. YOu put on butter, sour cream or schquatkie (spelling is off) which is basically butter or bacon fat with bacon in it and fried onions....Yum.

I just have mine boiled with a bit of marg and salt.

MMMMMMM
Closed Thread