General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #1  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Question Sciatica - another question

Many of you answered that you have had sciatica before also and I appreciated all of you sharing your sciatica story and advice. I have another question for you -

Did anyone have leg muscles that got so tight from this that some of them actually snapped? I have some small areas in my calf that feel like little knots, I felt the area pull when I was stretching last night, but my calf is fairly numb, so it didn't hurt terribly. Now there are little knots there, about the size of a finger or thumb tip.

Also, the side of my hip is horribly painful when I walk - was hip pain worse than back pain for any of you?

I had an MRI today and an x-ray yesterday & will find out NEXT WEEK what those showed. Meanwhile I am on Percocet, Naprosyn, and Flexaril, using muscle rubs, doing stretches, taking hot baths, and still in pain! I have not gone to a chiropractor or accupuncturist yet, but if I am not better within the next couple of weeks I will. I feel like my muscles in this leg are just wasting away.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #2  

Awwww.... hang in there! I don't have any advice for you, but I hope you feel some relief soon! Take care!
Old 03-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #3  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Thanks Linds81 - I love your avatar by the way.

The worst part of this for me is that I was walking 3-4 miles a day and losing weight and now I can barely walk at all - darn it!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #4  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

when it happened to me the first time, I actually made my husband stop at a grocery store and get bananas before we went on our planned shopping trip because I thought I was low on potassium. Come to find out it was all due to protruding discs putting pressure on a nerve in my back. SO GLAD you went to a doctor, I do hope everything works out for you soon, I understand that the pain can be unbearable. Feel free to pm me if you want to get it all out

Lacey
Old 03-09-2006, 01:12 AM   #5  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

My husband went through something similar to what you are describing. He was on painkillers, went through physical therapy and saw a chiropractor. An MRI showed that his herniated disks were pushing on the sciatic nerve, causing his right leg to be numb from hip to calf. He didn't sustain any muscle damage, but he did have a surgical procedure (microdiscectomy) which has helped a lot. Seeing the chiropractor helped some- more than the physical therapy did, but he really couldn't avoid the surgery.

I hope you can find some relief soon.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:23 AM   #6  

It was my hip that always hurt more than my back, and the ache down into my legs. Knots may be from compensating for the other mechanical issues your having - that happens. But you will get better with time and meds, and therapy. Let us know what you find out. Hang in there.
Closed Thread